Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

TWC APP on Fire TV / Fire Stick

MattTWC1MattTWC1 Posts: 11

I recently switched from Dish to Time Warner on July 15th.  When setting up the appointment a few weeks prior, the Time Warner representative said that to avoid the additional box in the bedroom to use the TWC app.  When I told them that it wasn't a Smart TV (I use the Fire TV box v2) they said to download the TWC app.  Much to my surprise that it didn't exist in the Fire TV app marketplace.  After researching on-line, I found a way to side-load it using Apps2Fire.  However, when I run the TWC app from my Fire TV I get an error that HDMI is not supported.  Having a hard time accepting Time Warner would suggest something that doesn't actually work.  So it's the 26th now and I still don't have this resolved.  Significant Other is getting extremely frustrated that she can't watch cable in the bedroom!

Comments

• SidewinderSidewinder Posts: 21
    Jul 26, 2016

It works on Roku.  That may be part of the confusion.  The rep. may not be familiar with Fire.

• MsRayeMsRaye Posts: 25,606
    Jul 26, 2016

Doesn't yet exist on our fire box either, but there's a load of different programming that TWC doesn't offer.. However no local stations. I'd put an antenna on the set and do a scan for them

Woman Mad

• Syko2k3Syko2k3 Posts: 3
    Jul 26, 2016

Alternatively, you can try using the network apps if available (TNT, NBC, HBO GO, FX), if they are available.  If you subscribe to the channel any apps associated with that network should be able to be used with your TWC ID. Hope this suits as a workaround.

• MattTWC1MattTWC1 Posts: 11
    Aug 01, 2016
    Adding those channel apps or using the antenna would work. The biggest issue with the Fire TV and the TWC app is we want to watch the DVR and can't.

Side loaded the app but get an hdmi not supported error when I try to watch a station.

When is TW going to support FireTV? The sooner the better I hope.
    Aug 01, 2016
    The rep confused Fire TV with Fire tablet. Which BTW is supported. Another head scratcher. Both are Amazon products.
  • LsaReneLsaRene Posts: 1
    Aug 09, 2016

TWC rep told me the same thing that I can use my fire TV to avoid more cable boxes... found out that I cant. He even showed me on his ipad that amazon had the app; apparently its only for the tablet?? He showed it very quickly, I didnt read the screen.

And I also specifically asked if I can just run the cable line direct to the TV at least to get the local/minimum channels in the other rooms.

I have two tv's with no cable now. 

Who's to hol d accountable ?? Guess it falls on the customer.

And the 89.99 triple bundle is 99.99 with the cost of the modem/router.  My receipt says otherwise but TWC doesnt honor what the rep. wrote.

I just let verizon/frontier go, thought I was getting a better deal.

I'm at least hoping for the best, I "should" be getting a $300 visa gift card for switching. Not holding my breath.

No wonder so many people are turning to KODI!

Annnnd, the rep try to sell me on a higher cable package: MLB and NFL included for $10 more per month. Yeah right...I knew better that to buy that. It is very convincing though because its printed in their brochure. But its not the real deal. Its a bit deceiving.

• sandeepkshuklasandeepkshukla Posts: 6
    Sep 23, 2016

I got the same response from TW customer rep when I switched from Direct TV to TWC. They try to sell it. When I called again they other customer rep told me that the 1st one may not know that what devices support this app. Then why they make such statements if they are not sure. This is really disappointing that this big company is using these cheap tactics to sell it's products.

• Melissa_OMelissa_O Posts: 337
    Sep 23, 2016

The TWC TV® app is available on these platforms: Apple iOS, Android™, Kindle Fire & HDX, PC/MAC, ROKU®, Xbox 360®, Xbox One™, and Samsung Smart TVs.

You can watch on iPads, iPhones, smartphones and tablets as well as the devices listed above. Apologies if you were told differently. For further questions regarding the Mobile app, the following LINK can be referenced for self help options. 

Respectfully,

Melissa O. 

TWC Community Forum Moderator

Sep 23, 2016

That is a sound workaround, but I noticed yesterday when I tried to do this that Time Warner was no longer a valid service provider.  Is it because they are changing to Spectrum?

• thames1948thames1948 Posts: 1
    Sep 25, 2016
    Sorry, but this is not a true statement. I just bought a brand-new Samsung smart TV and the TWC app is not supported. TWC told me to get a fire stick or a ROKU 3 or 4. Was going to get the fire stick, but after reading other post's about it not working, I think I will try the ROKU. Was also told that it has to be a ROKU. 3 or 4.
  • Stammers95Stammers95 Posts: 1
    Sep 26, 2016
    Just as a FYI, Roku 3, 4 and the sticks will work only if you have TWC internet service. On the Rokus,TWC wont even allow you to view the limited channel line up like on your mobile phone or tablets if your not using their service due to how Rokus are designed and need full access to the internet. Further information below.

Technically for you to view your full line up without using TWC internet service, you need to call their tech department and ask for a TV Modem to be installed. Its free and is the same type of modem you would get if you were a paying customer for their Internet Service. Once installed you will have to connect to their wireless modem with your phone, tablets and/or computer and the app will recognize that your on your home network and will have the full line up with having a different isp. That being said though, you wont have access to the internet outside your home. From my understanding TWC adds their modem to their MAC database and then filters only the streaming content to your modem. This is why Rokus wont work if you dont have TWC internet as Rokus need full access to the net.

I myself bought several Rokus in hopes to eliminate the box rental fees but my plan backfire now realizing Rokus wont work for me as i dont have TWC internet service.

Its a bit ridiculous how TWC is soo protective with the the cable theft issue. There are so many other tv/entertainment services which follows a subscription service doesnt seem to have an issue (netflix, sling TV, ect) All the cable companies today really need to think out of the box and not during the dinosaur era with creating a new type of cable subscription service where you can view your full line anywhere and on any of the major platforms. In addition, can you imagine if TWC would be the first cable company to build a subscription based service where you dont need their internet service nor even be in their covered area. Their cable and phone services would not be limited to phyiscal locations anymore. In addition, if they drop their prices, they would pull in alot more revenue as this type of subscription service would be very competitive in the market and an opportunity to gaib more customers.

TWC please stop thinking about your services in 2 dimentional world and think outside the box.
  • jsulli009jsulli009 Posts: 1
    Sep 27, 2016

Not true! Newer Sumsung smart tvs are not supported. I purchased on based on comments like this, and was VERY disappointed. Fix this TW. Make your app more available. Take care of your customers

• jimmerjimmer Posts: 8
    Oct 11, 2016

Just as a FYI- there is a way to get around the need for TW internet

I have TW cable and FIOS internet in my home . to use the TWC Tv app on tablets and rokus i had to keep switching device WIFI from the fios router to the TWC video only router which was annoying.

I discovered howver that the TWC modem accesses only a small range of IP addresses for all of the TWC TV apps channels and on demand progamin.

I set the TWC  and Fios modems both behind my router and have the router send all traffic for the TWC address range to that modem and the rest to fios. Best of both worlds- with new TWC TV app update can now shrink the TV to PIP and be searching internet through fios simultaneosly. also while not supported all later gen roku 1-4 can use the twc tv app albiet slowl loads with less powerful devices

• linmatlinmat Posts: 2
    Oct 18, 2016

My new Roku Streaming Stick (3600) works great.  Glad I bought it and not Firestick. 

• mingusalmingusal Posts: 4
    Oct 20, 2016

I also had a TWC rep recommend using Fire stick to replace my cable box.  Since there are several examples of this mentioned on this thread, one has to ask, why are TWC reps recommending this when it doesn't actually work?  Who is giving them this information to pass on to customers?

• jschloss3jschloss3 Posts: 1
    Oct 21, 2016

Is  there a time table for when it will be available on the AMZN fire stick?

• exeternalexeternal Posts: 1
    Oct 27, 2016

Firestick and Firestick 2 owner here - no TWC app available.

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 246
    Oct 27, 2016

Hi @exeternal,

You can view the available supported devices for the apps at: Apps . 

Thank you for participating in the Forums.

Regards,
    Stephanie S.
    Social Media Customer Care
    Moderator - Community Forums

• SgcoxSgcox Posts: 1
    Nov 08, 2016
    This, in fact, doesn't work. TWC blocks access to most TV everywhere apps. They want to force use of their on demand channels through the app. But the app runs horribly on my Rokus.
  • CyberglenCyberglen Posts: 1
    Nov 29, 2016

I have Roku on one TV and Firestick on another.  The TWC app works very well on Roku. I get live TV, on demand, etc.  Picture is pretty good.  

Firestick? Useless. Amazon-centric and the TWC app is not available in their app store.  Roku has a wider range of apps and programming. I still have a cable box, but don't need two as the TWC app works very well on my  Roku (on tv in other room). 

Firestick was a failed experiment, and not just because it doesn't carry TWC.  Overall,  it has much fewer channels (as we used to call them).  It doesn't even play videos from my Amazon drive very well.  It does play Amazon Videos well. Those cost unless you have prime where you get videos from a zillion years ago. 

Go with Roku. Haven't tried Chromcast.

• arobinson6arobinson6 Posts: 1
    Dec 07, 2016

by a ROKU, I use it in the bedroom with a time warner app

• Drob11423Drob11423 Posts: 1
    Jan 06, 2017

I just bought a brand new Samsung Smart TV and it does not support the TWC TV App.  Very disappointed.  

• RedRobin1217RedRobin1217 Posts: 1
    Jan 07, 2017

Roku 2 and 3 are literally the same except for the remote, so if you don't care about voice commands and motion controls for certain games you should go for that. 

• MolliesdadMolliesdad Posts: 5
    Jan 18, 2017

I have a Roku from the Sling TV deal and a Fire TV Stick from the Directv Now deal. Sling TV did not have enough channels for my better half and because of all of the issues with the DTVN launch, I decided to stay with TWC for the immediate future. I have been trying to find out from TWC and Amazon as to when the TWC app will be on the Fire TV Stick. Both have told me it is coming soon, but until I see it, I don't believe it is coming soon. Why is it on Fire TV but not the FIre TV Stick? This would be a move to help consumers and be a positive move for TWC. Is TWC listening to customers? I don't know, but I can't find anything on their website stating anything regarding this issue. I can't believe it is that difficult to add to another streaming device. I'm going to try Playstation Vue next week. And it's on both devices. 

• dsldsl Posts: 1
    Jan 23, 2017

When will the twc app be available on Fire TV? Why is TWC not a provider for the apps for TNT, TBS, Disney, etc  on the Fire TV.

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jan 23, 2017

I have been trying to find out from TWC and Amazon as to when the TWC app will be on the Fire TV Stick. Both have told me it is coming soon, but until I see it, I don't believe it is coming soon. Why is it on Fire TV but not the FIre TV Stick?

It's not available on Fire TV either.

When will the twc app be available on Fire TV?

$$$ ... TWC has an exclusive deal with Roku for set top boxes.

• myco7myco7 Posts: 1
    Feb 03, 2017

Is there any effort to get the App available on Amazon fire sticks/tv ? 

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Feb 03, 2017

@myco7 wrote:

Is there any effort to get the App available on Amazon fire sticks/tv ? 

Not until the exclusive deal with Roku expires AND they decide not to renew it.

• Happy2liveHappy2live Posts: 1
    Feb 23, 2017
    Hey everyone help request that they add the spectrum tv app to the streaming devices ,like amazon firestick.thats all I had to add thanks :-)
  • kparker63kparker63 Posts: 1
    Mar 11, 2017

To restate what I believe I understood you to say... If I buy a Roku Streaming Stick (3600) and plug it into my not-smart Sony TV I will be able to watch my TV in the same manner as I watch the one connected to the cable box since I have WiFi.  Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.