Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

New Spectrum GIG no where near 940 Mbps

chasez0rchasez0r Posts: 8
in Connectivity Jan 10, 2018

I had the new Spectrum GIG service installed today in my NYC apartment, and my Speedtests from many, many different speed test services are coming in 250 Mbps - 550 Mbps at best.

Background: I am an IT professional myself.

I am testing directly off the Modem (Technicolor TC4400) using a Cat6 cable and my Ethernet jack is Gigabit rated.

The technition ran signal tests on my Coax and most of the channels were coming in at a healthy strength, though a few where coming in a little strong, which is a good thing. He ended up putting a splitter in the wall to dampen the signal, because apartnetly the GIG install policy wont let them complete the job unless all of the signals are in the Green. After that we re-ran the signal tests, and walla, all of the channels were now in the Green.

What does everyone think?

- Do I have a faulty modem?

- Should I remove the splitter he installed and let the stronger signals flow in?

- Do speedtest websites even support Gigabit testing reliably?

Thoughts on why Spectrum GIG is only a pinch faster then Ultra 300?

Comments

• ernie599ernie599 Posts: 31
    Jan 10, 2018

What are your modem readings?  Have you tried a differnet ethernet cable? I am only getting 400mpbs here in Los Angeles and I am using a Cat6a Cable shielded to my Asus Rapture GT-AC5300

I would remove the spiltter and take readings again and see what speeds you are getting. Also did they install a TAP on the line? Here in LA if you dont have Video service they sometimes put a tap so you cant get TV signal. I dont have a TAP as I pleaded for him not to install it since all i do is stream anyways and i watch everyting via HULU or Netflix only 
  • chasez0rchasez0r Posts: 8
    Jan 10, 2018
    Interesting! Thanks for the tips. I also don’t have cable tv, I’m not familiar with what a tap is. How could I identify that piece of hardware?

Unfortunately because they haven’t approved self owned modems yet I’m stuck with the technicolor, and of course they changed the user and pass so I can’t access the modems status page using the default credentials. And a reset holding the pin hole on the back doesn’t actually bring it back to factory. They most have some custom firmware flashed on.

I’m planning on removing the splitter tomorrow and retrying. Though the tech did mention that if the channels are coming in hot, or too strong, it could cause the modem to go into a reset loop. We will see!

I tried a bunch of Cat6a cables same results. Even Cat5 same results. And again this is going directly from the modem, to eliminate my network being the issue.

More context for everyone. My building is about 10 years old so the COAX in the walls should be totally sufficient.
  • MsRayeMsRaye Posts: 25,606
    Jan 10, 2018

Leave the splitter in. what's marked on it and does it have a terminator on it's empty port?

POST THE SIGNAL LEVEL PAGES, also the  Error log if you can find it.

What are you going to  for the speedtest, only the twc/ spectrum will work...

Why do you think you need speeds that fast to a single device? It's not what they're selling, lol.

Jan 10, 2018

Q: Leave the splitter in. what's marked on it and does it have a terminator on it's empty port?

A: Not sure I'll check when I'm home from work

Q: POST THE SIGNAL LEVEL PAGES, also the  Error log if you can find it.

A: I can't I am locked out of the modem, they changed the default user/pass.

I tried the serial / mac as the password as well. No luck.

Nor do I have any Coax signal equipment.

Q:  What are you going to  for the speedtest, only the twc/ spectrum will work...

A: I am using Speedtest.net, and hopping around multiple different servers etc

I also am downloading large files from AWS S3 as a test as AWS's throughput is massive. Same lower speeds then advertised.

Q: Why do you think you need speeds that fast to a single device? It's not what they're selling, lol.

A: I work for a company that deals with massive data sets, and I work from home occasionally, so having Gigabit connection really makes downloading 5TB of data much smoother.

And also, yes this is exactly what they are selling. Advertising 940/35 on the line to a single device. I'd be happy be 750 on the downstream.

• jsmhsgjsmhsg Posts: 3
    Jan 10, 2018

I'm averaging 750-910 in Austin with 41-43 up

Jan 11, 2018

No problem, but thats not what I was trying to do. Don't be so salty, friend. There is a lot of posts, on reddit, of folks only getting 500-600, but thus far the few people in Austin area that I am aware of are seeing similiar results to me. 

I was experiencing lots of packetloss on 10 year old cable a few months ago on the 300m ultra plan and inconsistent 300m speeds. A few folks complain in my neighborhood and I advised them to ask for new wiring and issues were resolved for all that I followed back up with. For me when I asked for new wiring the tech installed all new wiring from the street to box on side of house, and added a powered booster. When the Gig install tech came out a few days ago he wanted to remove the booster but I refused stubbornly.

The Gig install techs tool read 1.05 down and ~150ish up during install. You mentioned signals were normal, but what were the speed tests with the techs tool? If it was like mine, then the problem is within the modem or provisioning they provided to your acct. 

After initial setup (before activation/provisioning) I was receiving ~600-700m, my tech noticed my line being 'coded' wrong (my router was getting an actual IP from the modem as well). He asked to speak to some advanced technical team who was able to see the same erroneous coding and after a reboot of the modem I saw the higher speeds, and then my router was reporting the modem as 192.168.100.1... not sure if it was related at all, as my old Arris would report a 70.x ip instead of 192.168.100.1 randomly as well.

Regarding your question about Speedtest.com reliably doing gigabit... more often than not it is reliable. I lived in KC with Google Fiber and used SpeedTest for testing rather than Google's and always was 900+ up/down.  I have family members in Austin with Google Fiber and Grande... everytime I've tested it was 900+ for Google and Grande was 850+. I'm unlucky to live in an area than can get Google, Grande, or ATT fiber all better options than TWC/Spectrum in Austin area.

Storms/surges, age, etc affect the copper more than you would think. Ask for new coax, ask for a new modem. (940 advertised, but I believe they only commit to 500+, at least thats what the sales rep told me when I was signing up). 

Jan 11, 2018
    There we go great response thanks!

I live in a large apartment building so re doing the building Coax would be out of the question as they didn’t use any conduits. And I believe spectrum wouldn’t do that anyway.

When the tech was here we were getting close to 700 on his device. Though I had to let go because I had to get back to work before more tests could be performed.

My gut tells me 2 things are wrong. The dampening of the signal with the splitter was a dumb idea just so he could submit the job and move on.

And secondly, I have a feeling there is something up with the modem. Perhaps some channels aren’t bonding. I wish they supported the Arris SB8200 I’ve had really good stability with self purchased modems over the last half decade.

I’m going to see if I can’t get “advanced support” on the horn tomorrow. Perhaps I’m experiencing some coding issue as well.

Thanks.
    Jan 11, 2018

From what I remember it was some metal circular tube they would insert the COAX cable in and I think somehow that would scramble the video signal feed but that too was cause issues with my internet. 

If you can buy the modem via amazon and if it doesnt work send it back. I know on this modem you should be able to get to the 192.x.x.x 

As for the Coax it could be the outside wiring along with inside but chances are the inside wiring 

Try reading this post it might help. 

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/New-Construction-What-Kind-of-Coax-to-Use/td-p/72943

Jan 11, 2018

What speed do you get on the TWC/ Spectrum speedtest tool?

here's all their default logins...:

DWA1230
    DWA1230 default factory settings
    admin-192.168.1.1
    TC4400
    TC4400 default factory settings
    adminpassword192.168.100.1
    TC7200
    TC7200 default factory settings
    adminadmin192.168.0.1
    TC7200 (Thomson)
    TC7200 (Thomson) default factory settings
    adminadmin192.168.0.1
    TC8305C
    TC8305C default factory settings
    adminpassword10.0.0.1
    TD5130v1
    TD5130v1 default factory settings
    root-192.168.1.1
    TD5136 v2
    TD5136 v2 default factory settings
    user-192.168.1.1
    TD5137
    TD5137 default factory settings
    adminadmin192.168.1.1
    TG589vac v2 HP
    TG589vac v2 HP default factory settings
    admin-192.168.1.1
    (Thomson) TG703
    (Thomson) TG703 default factory settings
    ''blank''''blank''192.168.1.254
    Jan 11, 2018

Well so little update. I removed the splitter he had put on the line. It was a simple 3 way splitter with a -7dB effect.

The internet speeds are coming in a little faster. I am averaging between 450-650 now. Opposed to 250-400 before.

I have been using both speedtest.net, and the spectrum speed test tool, this represent averages I am seeing across the board.

I mentioned earlier that the default password is not used on my modem. My assumtion is TWC has flashed a custom firmware onto the modem. Or whenever it connects to the internet they change the password, as the defaults do not work, even after holding the pin hole reset, factory default user/pass do not work.

TL;DR; After removing the -7dB spliter the internet speeds are coming in a little better. Though still haven't broken the 700Mbps mark. Time to get advanced support on the line.

Jan 11, 2018

@chasez0r wrote:

I mentioned earlier that the default password is not used on my modem. My assumtion is TWC has flashed a custom firmware onto the modem. Or whenever it connects to the internet they change the password, as the defaults do not work, even after holding the pin hole reset, factory default user/pass do not work.

Can confirm I already tried every combination that I could google. 

Jan 11, 2018

Read the table I posted...

4400 is

adminpassword
  • Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,207 Lead Mod
    Jan 14, 2018

Good morning.

I was able to locate your account.  We do have a problem with your RX on 

every channel.  I do see you have an appointment in place for a technician. Please

let us know how that goes! 

Regards,
    Julia R.
    Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
    Lead Moderator-Community Forums

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 16, 2018

If the modem was getting nearly +10 dBmV on every channel with a 7 dB splitter loss, as installed by the Spectrum tech, the levels will now be at +16 to +18 when the splitter is removed. The proper DS signal strength range is -8.0 to +10.0dBmV with SNR greater than 35 dB oin every channel.  A stronger signal does NOT always provide better data transport performance. 

Jan 18, 2018

So I just intalled the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 and its working for me at my 400mbps.

I have an ASUS GT-AC5300 and when I enabled bonding I get faster download speeds, not upload but download speeds. The SB8200 does work. 

Jan 18, 2018

Your report of upload speed always measuring 23 Mbps makes sense.  The ads are careful to mention very specifically "Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner and Brighthouse) and others pending approval." 

The modem is NOT currently functional for 32 DOWNLOAD and 8 UPLOAD bonded channels on Spectrum's network.  Spectrum will NOT support DOCSIS 3.1 until their entire infrastructure and all TV subscriber boxes are upgraded from four to eight upstream channels.

Jan 19, 2018

Sorry but your information doesn't apply. The gig speed uses an entirely different broadband modulation and no bonded channels.  The 400 and lower uses seperate bonded channels

Jan 19, 2018

need to see the signal level page.. 

The last channel will look like this and is the start of the ortho gig channel (note the 'other' rather than 'qam 256')

159LockedOther702000000 Hz5.5 dBmV38.2 dB1620
    Jan 20, 2018

I boldly assume that as a New Yorker you already understood that your building owner controls the cable rather than the tenants.  You'll only get delivered signals as good as the cable in the walls.  Spectrum can't upgrade it to fix problems for individual customers, your building owner gets to pay for that..

• JhillJhill Posts: 5
    Jan 21, 2018
    To be honest with you spectrum website doesn’t officially have an approved modem or modem router combo for the 1gig /940 speed tier but they are only useing the technicolor docis 3.1 for the 1gig service is very new sence spectrum is only useing 3.1 for the 1gig tier but tbh with you we have the new 400 internet and wireless we get 450-486 and for Ethernet 500-520 mbps and there are about 6 modems few modem router combos the 400 internet uses the docis 3.0 and the sb6190 is a great modem for the 400 even in peak hours we still maintain the same speeds while we have about 14 devices most gameing and streaming it might be better for you to go with the 400mbps it really is a lot more stable sence the new 1 gig service will have kinks for awhile most likely
    Jan 21, 2018

50 megs is a lot more stable for gaming than 400 or 1000 is due to the nature of cable modem technology.

if you're streaming video, count on an additional 10 megs PER DEVICE, 20 megs for actual 4k hd and WIRED, NOT WIRELESS

Jan 22, 2018

In conclusion:

1.) Intially was getting worse speeds then Ultimate 300.

2.) I removed the -7dB splitter. And my speed shot up to on average 500Mbps on the downstream.

3.) My modems user/password IS NOT THE DEFAULT, and factory resetting doesn't change it to the default user/password.

Also spectrum on the phone couldn't tell me the user/password, they assumed it was the factory defaults as well.

Sucks because I can't get into its status page.

4.) I had a technition appointment, but canceled because MAGICALLY, the morning before he arrive, I started getting 850Mbps / 40Mbps.

I am happy with the speed. I am still very confused as to how it fixed itself.

Jan 24, 2018

As i've mentioned in the past posts...

Read the table I posted...

4400 is

adminpassword

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,110 ADMIN
    Feb 15, 2018

@chasez0r@MsRaye@karlbeckman

Sorry for the delayed response.  I see that @Randy210 hijacked this post and was being belligerent.   I removed his posts and some responses.  The user was banned.  

Please let me know if there are questions.   

Thanks for your participation in the Community Forums! 

James 

• craigfrecraigfre Posts: 20
    Feb 17, 2018

@MsRaye

As he said in previous post the default password and username dont work. I have the same problem with mine. I can get to the login popup but cant log in. Unless we need to be connected directly to the modem and not through the router which I havent tried

850/40 is average for me. On a good night low 900s. I have had a couple nights New Years Eve was one where I was hitting close to 1150.

Feb 17, 2018

Good to hear that you are reliably getting speeds of 850 Mbps and above on your high speed connection.  That gives the rest of us some hope for the future.

MsRaye has also commented repeatedly in similar threads that the NYC franchise area does not use the manufacturer default passwords.  They have a very high theft of service rate, so they developed their own independent method of selecting and loading a custom user password at the time of installation. 

If you are able to view the modem login screen (NOT the router's display) you are connected to the proper LAN port and using the correct IP address.  You may need to call a local NYC Spectrum facility to have them make parameter changes on Spectrum-owned modem or gateway combo devices.  

Feb 17, 2018

since data rate is better than 80%  they don't have to address it. Looks like 10% over provisioning in your area @1100...

All that really means nothing as it's up to the originating server and paths to get it to you.

the transport/ backbone providers as well.

only accurate test is to TWC's speedtest tool.

This discussion has been closed.