Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum 400mbps

GfGf Posts: 6
in Connectivity Jan 23, 2018
So today I was going to upgrade from a legacy TWC 100 to a spectrum 400. I was told that I would be charged a activation fee of 49.99 and a tech needed to come out to set this up. Is this true? I have my own modem and have for years and previous times I’ve uppped my speed no one needed to come out. I’m in the Los Angeles area for reference.

Best Answer

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,076 admin
    Jan 25, 2018 Accepted Answer

@Gf

I would like to provide some clarification and hopefully clear up any confusion.  Specific to the Los Angeles area,  400Mbps speeds are available, and there is a $49.99  installation fee to upgrade services to the increased speed.  Currently, only the Technicolor modem that we provide is approved for speeds of 400Mbps or above on our network.   For that reason, we are currently requiring that all customers who upgrade to this speed use a modem provided by us at no additional charge.   We are recommending that customers have a technician install the modem and test the speed as well as resolve any signal issues.  Customers are currently not able to have their own modems with this speed.  Customers can choose to complete a self install and obtain the Technicolor modem from a Spectrum Store,  however the $49.99 fee will still be charged.    

I hope this was helpful and please let us know if you have additional questions.   You can also contact support directly for further assistance.

Please contact us at: 

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Replies

• MsRayeMsRaye Posts: 25,606
    Jan 23, 2018

What modem do you own and what is your need for the 400 speed?

• GfGf Posts: 6
    Jan 23, 2018
    Motorola 7540. I have a elaborate HomeKit setup maybe about 15-20 devices on my network. plus at least 3-4 devices that could stream 4k at the same time. But also why does anyone need the top tier these isps carry?

I think I’d be fine with 200mbps but it’s not in my area yet.
  • karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 23, 2018

If your area does not have 200 or 300 Mbps available, stay with what you know and what your existing customer-owned equipment supports.  You can always move up beyond 100 Mbps by using the [free] Spectrum modem provided for the speed tier you choose in the future.  Just remember that your router and WiFi should be rated for at least twice the speed of your service.  I personally suggest a router with dual or tri-band WiFi rated at least 1900 Mbps over the air, Gigabit ethernet ports, and several big ugly antennas. 

Jan 24, 2018
    My modem is rated at 686 mbps 16x4 docsis 3.0 so I’m sure I’d be fine with 400mbps. I’m using a eero mesh system and that allows me to usually get full speed throughout 90% of the day. I guess I’ll just wait until spectrum 200 is the standard and move over then.
    Jan 24, 2018

The correct answer to the question of speed is NOT the number that the marketing folks printed on the box.  Instead, it is the fastest speed at which Spectrum has evaluated and certified the modem to function on their cable network.  Many modems labeled as "DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, speeds up to 686 Mbps" will  actually only receive internet data at 300 Mbps or less on Spectrum's cable plant. 

Spectrum determines the operating speed  and publishes a list of equipment that they can accept for customer purchase and operation on their system.   If your COAM modem is approved (and many are not) you can look up its top speed right on this web site, at https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modems.html

Jan 25, 2018
    karlbeckman wrote:

The correct answer to the question of speed is NOT the number that the marketing folks printed on the box.  Instead, it is the fastest speed at which Spectrum has evaluated and certified the modem to function on their cable network.  Many modems labeled as "DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, speeds up to 686 Mbps" will  actually only receive internet data at 300 Mbps or less on Spectrum's cable plant. 
    Spectrum determines the operating speed  and publishes a list of equipment that they can accept for customer purchase and operation on their system.   If your COAM modem is approved (and many are not) you can look up its top speed right on this web site, at https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modems.html

Thanks I own 2 of the approved modems on this list. One in the 400mbps category and one in the 300mpbs. I’m not as smart as most of you here with how Time Warner works. But I know how to purchase modems that are compliant with what speeds I’m looking for. My quest which still hasn’t been answered was if it’s true someone needs to come out and activate the 400 speeds ( this is where my knowledge of Time Warner / spectrum ends ) I don’t want to pay 49$ if I don’t have too.  Me having the right modem was never a concern because I know I have the proper modems to reach up to their top tier in my area. Thanks for your help though 

Owneded modems

SB6190 - approved spectrum 400mbps

Motorola MG7540 - approved spectrum 300mbps
    Jan 25, 2018

no one should need to come out unless you have signal issues.. Post that page, lets see if anything is obvious.

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jan 25, 2018

@Gf wrote:

This is the answer to your question.

The 7540 may be rated to operate at up to 686 Mbps but Spectrum will only provision it up to 300.

Jan 25, 2018

@reds91185 wrote:

@Gf wrote:

This is the answer to your question.

The 7540 may be rated to operate at up to 686 Mbps but Spectrum will only provision it up to 300.

No this isn’t the answer. You may have skipped over me saying I have 2 modems that are approved by TWC/spectrum. One that will provision 400mbps and one that will provision on 300. I have equipment for both. My question was if someone needed to come and connect the 400 speed thus charging me an additional 50$.  But thanks 

Jan 25, 2018

@MsRaye wrote:

no one should need to come out unless you have signal issues.. Post that page, lets see if anything is obvious.

Thank you this is all I wanted to know. I’m not sure why they want to charge an activation fee when they haven’t done it before. I’m not having issues with my internet. I was just told in order to upgrade someone needed to come out and connect me to the 400mbps speeds which will cost me 50$. Right now I pay for 100mbps and have no issue reaching this. I’ll wait until 200 is standard and move in that direction. Thanks for you help. 

Jan 26, 2018

Problem is that customers have no clue if they have signal issues and  many who upgrade do because they think a newer or faster modem will solve the actual underlying coaxial issue.

We have to pull teeth to get them to post the level pages here.  Then half of those that respond, do have actual observable issues that need to be corrected and yes a tech needs to be dispatched to repair or escalate the issue. before thgat speed is offered and billed for.

Jan 29, 2018

And ... infrastructure repair is a service call that is NOT billable to the customer.   If the LA office cannot afford to keep their physical plant running at proper performance levels, they need Spectrum to adjust their business plan. 

• stwustwu Posts: 1
    Mar 01, 2018
    Interesting what the tech was to do and why. How do you check the levels you mention and see if signal is the issue? I was expecting the tech to do that and as even a main reason for why one was required, the other being to install an “amplifier” which just turned out to be a modem. The tech simply unplugged my modem, plugged in new one, and when internet led lit said all is good. When asked about line signal good enough for 400 the tech said “line is fine” and said he checked by just looking on his phone from outside the building. I thought he was going to hook his device to the line instead of the modem like other techs did and evaluate. My speed isn’t any faster than when on the 100, except uploads.
    Mar 01, 2018

Copy and paste the signal level pages and whether you have cable tv service.

• zeebeezeebee Posts: 1
    Mar 21, 2018

I upgraded to Spectrum Ultra on 3/13, and the (totally great!) technician installed an ARRIS TM1602 modem.  Per James' 1/25 post above, I see that the only modem approved for the 400+ speed is the Technicolor TC4400. What should I do to have Spectrum swap the ARRIS with the TC, and will I be charged for the swap/visit? Thanks for the help! 

This discussion has been closed.