Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Daily Phone and Internet Outages – T3 Timeouts

BVWBVW Posts: 25
in Connectivity Feb 21, 2018

Reposting my issue from 1/3/18, since the “REPLY” button is no available any longer.

Since June, we have been having daily phone and internet outages – one to three times a day. There is no consistency as to when it happens. We are casual internet users – just browsing - no movie streaming or gaming. Sometimes the phone connection will drop during a conversation. Some outages occur even when we are not on the internet or using the phone. We notice the outage because we see the modem is rebooting.

Spectrum has been trying to fix this since June.

The following is a recap of all the things that have been done to try to resolve the outages:

• 3 new modem replacements (2 Arris and 1 Ubee)
  • New line run from the street to the house - Note that our cable lines are buried and do not run thru trees
  • New line run from the outside house box into the house
  • New line run to the modem
  • New router
  • We have read about 4GLTE ingress causing issues, so we keep our phones far away from the modem.
  • Spectrum tech replaced all cable line connectors and made sure all connections were tight
  • Capped off 2 unused cable lines
  • Modem was moved off the floor, away from all other electrical items, and on its own dedicated outlet
  • On Jan 12th, TWC/Spectrum techs thought they may have found the issue. Back in April (which is when we started having outages), a new cable installation was done at a home about a ¼ mile from our house. This installation was causing extreme noise on the line. So TWC/Spectrum did a complete reinstallation.
  • Outages continued. So, the Tech Ops Supervisor continued researching/working with the PM Supervisor. As a result, a few plant cables were replaced over the past couple weeks.

Unfortunately, we continue to experience 1-3 phone/internet outages a day.

?? Does anyone have any other ideas how to resolve this??

Additional information

1. Location: Mogadore, OH   44260 – Single family complex
  2. Spectrum services: Internet, Phone, Cable TV
  3. Modem: Arris TG1672G
  4. Router: Cisco Linksys EA4500 N9000 router
  5. Firmware Name: TS0901103J6TW2_072417_16XX.GW_PC20_TW
  6. Firmware Build Time: Mon Jul 24 11:08:24 EDT 2017
  7. eSAFE 0 FW Revision: TS0901103J6TW2_072417_ARRIS_GW
  8. Speed test: Download Speed: 37257 kbps (4657.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
  9. Upload Speed: 6175 kbps (771.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
  10. Latency: 10 ms

Further down, I will post pics of our recent status page and Event Log info – notice the January 1, 1970 activity!

Here is a screen shot of a wacky status page from 2/16 - lots of Correcteds/Uncorrectables

BigCOrrects.png

Here is recent status page and Event Log info – notice the January 1, 1970 activity!

jan1970.pnglog.png 

Any suggestions on how to get this finally fixed would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• BVWBVW Posts: 25
    Apr 04, 2018 Accepted Answer

It's been nearly 20 days and we haven’t experienced any internet/phone outages!

*** Issue has been RESOLVED ***  

Replies

• MsRayeMsRaye Posts: 25,606
    Feb 21, 2018

Take a photo of the tap off at the street... This is a coaxial issue, probably along the street somewhere.. Let's see how bad the pedestals are...

Feb 22, 2018

I'll take a photo tomorrow when I get home from work.  Thanks MsRaye!

Feb 22, 2018

copy and paste the signal page tomorrow. The partial service errors are telling me there's channels dropping as well.

this could be ingress from tv ch's 45,47,49,50 and 4G cellular

Have you seen them cutting in new lines the past 2 days?

Feb 22, 2018

Hi MsRaye!

Here's pics of the street pedestal... is this what you need to see?

I haven't seen any new lines going in recently.

I am at work now, but when I get home tonight I will post a pic of a fresh signal page.

Thanks for your help!

cablebox1.jpgcablebox2.jpg

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 22, 2018

Customer @BVW has expressed major concern about entries in the status log bearing the date stamp January 1, 1970.  He is apparently not aware that 1/1/1970 is always the default starting date in the modem's memory after a power cycle.  So far nobody has advised him that it's part of the DOCSIS  specification for all modems and nothing to worry about by itself.  The real question is "Why didn't my modem reset its internal clock from the host server?" and the answer usually appears in the prior few lines of the status log.  In his case the previous entry says SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync", and the next two lines are "No ranging response received - T3 timeout", followed by "RCS Partial Signal."

The reported data transfer speeds suggest the modem is provisioned for 30 Mbps down / 5 Mbps Up.

Feb 22, 2018

looks like a new neighborhood per pedestal style and locked... Need a photo of the grounding block on the house.

Feb 23, 2018

OK... you won't believe this...   internet/phone outage  occured while I was posting the current log status!  Now that I am back online, I will post both the 'before' and 'after' status logs.

BEFORE

BeforeStats.pngBeforeLog1.pngBeforeLog2.png

AFTER OUTAGE

AfterStatus.pngAfterLog2.png

Feb 23, 2018

Looks like a total loss of signal and a reset

Or maybe a power loss.

There were no errors since the 18th which is strange, wonder if this is a bad modem or bad power supply/

Feb 23, 2018

Here's pics of the outside the house grounding block

CableOutboxALL.jpgCableOutbox1.jpg

Feb 23, 2018

We've had 4 new modems in the past 9 months!

Feb 23, 2018

All looks new.... That green wire is bonded to the electric ground in the basement, correct?

It must be the bare #6 wire from your main electrical panel.

Feb 23, 2018

New construction home - built in 2013.  Yes, you are correct... green wire is bonded to the electric ground in the basement.

Feb 23, 2018

Hi MsRaye,

Can you please expain what you mean by "it must be the bare #6 wire from your main electrical panel"?   What/where is the bare #6 wire?

Feb 23, 2018

Well, it sure isn't below the meter box....

There should be a really heavy usually bare #6 wire coming out of your main panel, going outdoors to one or two ground rods if it's not coming out of the meter box itself..

If all the houses in your neighborhood are missing them, that's a serious issue.

Ground rods drilled into the concrete floor are generally frowned upon as it's usually drier inside the foundation.

You can no longer use cold water pipes as there's too many insulating bushings and plastic pipe.

and never gas lines

Feb 23, 2018

Had another outage at 9:06pm last night. Stats and log pics below.

Also posting pics below of basement wall electric/cable configuration.

Note this a new construction home (5 years old). Time Warner installed from the very beginning (January 2013). We didn’t have any major TWC/Spectrum issues for years until last June when multiple outages started on a daily basis. In the past 2 years, there has been no new construction in our allotment area nor have we done any type of construction work on our house which might have caused disruption to the cable service.  

On a side note… I have to say for the past 9 months, TWC/Spectrum tech team has been pretty impressive trying to solve the problem. I understand this is difficult to try to determine what is causing the outages. I’ve come to the Forum in hopes that someone can shed light on the situation.

pg1logfeb23.pngpg2logfeb23.png20180223_050729.jpg20180223_050759.jpg

Feb 23, 2018

As I said in my post above… “TWC/Spectrum tech team has been pretty impressive trying to solve the problem”....

I just received a call from the Tech Ops Supervisor… they have been monitoring our line and are going to put in a second modem (side-by-side to existing modem) to compare activity. Appointment is set for Monday at 4:00.  I will update this post once we have results on the second modem monitoring.

• lotsaofdotlotsaofdot Posts: 4
    Feb 23, 2018

Why isn't the modem next to the phone lines on the panel? near the coax connection? Also your signal level while technically ok isn't great and you have an 11 line(used usually for long service lines) and it's still low. Looks to me like they need to signal boost your neighborhood.

If it were me, I would put the modem near the coax on the panel and run a internet cable to wherever you want your router. This should give more signal and be a cleaner install in my opinion. 

Feb 24, 2018

is the modem on that 2 way splitter? Does the amp have a EMTA port on it?

Where is the green ground wire connected?

large22.JPG

Feb 24, 2018

looks like the amp has open, not terminated ports

looks like they put a 2 way infront of it to feed the modem rather than using it's internal emta splitter

Looks like you have 3 or 4 cable boxes as well

Feb 24, 2018

Closer pic of amplifier

Pic of where green groud wire connects and where  ground wire goes into floor

closeup.jpggreenline.jpggroundliner.jpg

Feb 24, 2018

are there really 5 cable boxes or DVR's connected?

if not, there need to be terminators on those wall plates like what's on the empty amp ports.

The 2 way splitter is not needed as the voip port on the amplifier is a 2 way splitter port. 

While I see the bare wire out of the transfer switch for the genny, the proper ground point is the wire heading to the ground rod that I marked in the earlier photo.  The phone line surge protector should also go to that ground point.

BTW, the sense wires for the genny shouldn't be tie wrapped alongside that ground wire.

I'm also a little concerned about the transfer switch grounding.  It appears to be using 3 rather than 4 conductor cable between the main breaker in the load center and the transfer switch.  You may have 2 seperate bonds between neutral and ground which is  incorrectly installed .  if the transfer switch has main breakers in it, then that needs to be the point where the  neutral to ground bond is as well as where the ground rod is connected and then 4 conductors run into your main breaker panel with no ground to neutral bond...  The main panel must have a non grounded neutral buss in it and a seperate, bonded to the steel enclosure, ground buss bar.  The entire install is wrong if there is an additional ground rod at the generator and may be a noise source, especially if it is on metalic natural gas lines...

What's unknown is ifchanging the above will cure the noise problems unless it only occurs when the generator is running. with the house on it as a load.  

Other than the splitter, the electrical issue isn't one you should attempt to do yourself.  Looking at the pics, I'm pretty sure it's not correct since the outside meter doesn't have the main breaker between it and the  transfer switch

If there are other homes wired the same way, especially with a single ground rod in the basement floor , It could be creating a really noisy node.

I have seen many improperly installed generators that created ground loop noise including at TWC head ends....

Feb 24, 2018

this is also a troublesome  image that raises too many questions: why wasn't all of the rod driven in? is it simply laying in the  slag/ concrete?

Rod.JPG

Feb 24, 2018

Here's the inside of that transfer switch.... It has the main 200A disconnect/ breaker and the bond between neutral and ground factory installed.  If there is only 3 wires between it and your main panel, that may very well be where you're having a noise issue.

The ground rod wire needs to go to this bonding point and a 4th ground wire run alongside the 3 conductors and to a seperate ground buss with the neutral not tied to it in your main load center.  If someone took out the bonding screw that's even worst as there is now no earth to neutral bond other than that questionable ground rod and only othe r ground connection being the shield of the cable tv coax.

37850_3_700x700.jpg

Feb 25, 2018

Hi MsRaye,

We have 4 DVR/cable boxes – below is a closer pic.

Note that there are no natural gas lines in this area and the generator is never running when outages occur.

I appreciate all the details you have provided and I will share this information with the technician tomorrow when he is on-site to install the secondary modem.

Closer-up.jpg

Feb 27, 2018

Have them move the cable ground to the wire going to the ground rod wire I marked rather than the generator ground wire..

I'd also use the emta port on the amplifier rather than an ext splitter. BTW, the POE filter on the input of that amp is useless as there's no reverse path above 50 mHz anyway. I assume you have some sort of MOCA, WHDVR setup requiring it ( the inline filter with red band)

I really think this needs a qualified electrician to fix the grounding, the building inspector should have never passed that ground rod or the way the transfer sw is wired.  even if when the house was built or if the genset was added later. 

Where is the phone line surge protector grounded?

Is there a second ground rod outside?

Feb 27, 2018

here's probably how the transfer sw should be wired:

since it has the main disconnect in it, that is where the neutral to ground tie must be.  and there should not be a neutral to ground tie in the main panel....

ground2.JPGground3.JPG

Mar 09, 2018

MsRaye,

Thank you for the detailed pics and explanation. We have a generator tune-up every May.  I will have them address the issues you presented.

Regarding the 2-way splitter – the tech intentionally installed it as part of the troubleshooting process.

Earlier this week, a tech was on-site disconnecting each cable line one-at-a-time while the Tech Ops Supervisor was at the office using a new software tool that does a detailed assessment of line noise. The tech also disconnected the green ground wire.  It was determined there were no noise issues from inside the house.   The tech went outside and disconnected cable from the outside of the house and then at the street.  Again… no noise issues from the street to our house.  At the same time, another tech was monitoring noise levels at another plant a few miles away.   The noise levels continued after our line was completely removed.  Upon further monitoring, it was determined that a house a mile away was causing extreme noise on the line.  Spectrum has contacted the customer and is going to get their installation “cleaned-up”.   I’ll provide an update in a few days. 

Very impressed with Spectrum’s dedication to getting this fixed!

Mar 27, 2018

Great news…. we haven’t experienced an internet/phone outage in 10 days!

Not sure which of the following fixed the problem, maybe it was a combination:

• A couple of plant cables in the area were repaired/modified
    • A new DVR was installed – old one had several issues
    • A new Technicolor modem and Sagemcom wireless router were installed (note that several modems and a router had previously been replaced)

A huge thank-you to the Spectrum support team that was dedicated to getting our issue resolved!

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,207 Lead Mod
    Mar 28, 2018

@BVW

Glad to hear things seem to be resolved. Please come back after a bit to let us 

know how things are going and to mark the issue as solved if possible.

Thank you! 

Regards,
    Julia R.
    Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
    Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Mar 28, 2018

Will do Julia... Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.