Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Settings Updated/changed???

FigaroFigaro Posts: 4
in TV Equipment Mar 28, 2018

Looks like Spectrum changed the settings menu, without notice of course or explanation of the changes.

1. Took me about 2 hrs to figure ouit why I had no sound (setting was changed).

2. Can no longer turn off the menu that pops up when you hit the left arrrow.

This applies to Baldwinsville, NY

Mad.

Comments

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Mar 28, 2018

@Figarowrote:

Looks like Spectrum changed the settings menu, without notice of course or explanation of the changes.

1. Took me about 2 hrs to figure ouit why I had no sound (setting was changed).

2. Can no longer turn off the **bleep** menu that pops up when you hit the left arrrow.

This applies to Baldwinsville, NY

Mad as Hell.

Hi,

Is this on the cable box, if not, what device?  If it is the cable box guide, (Navigator) Power On brings up the Quick Settings Menu where you can access your box settings in one place, such as Watch TV, Search, DVR, Caller ID (etc.)  Left and Right arrows  bring up this menu.  Exit button exits the menu.

Up and Down arrows bring up the Recently Viewed feature, which bookmarks the last 14 shows you have watched for easy access to them.  Exit gets rid of the on-screen graphics menu.  Recently Viewed can be turned off in the Settings Menu.  Press Settings on Remote to get to that menu.

Help for the New Guide is offered here:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Satch

• FigaroFigaro Posts: 4
    Mar 29, 2018

Yes it's the box and I understand the settings. There used to be a way to turn off the HOME menu or whatever they call it that comes up when u hit the left arrow.  Gone! I have a harmony elite remote and it was convienient to use the arrows to scroll thru recordings. Nope! Also, as I mentioned, my sound stopped working, setting for sound got changed and it took awhile to figure it out.  Sure wouild be nice to know when they make changes & what those changes are!

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Mar 29, 2018

@Figarowrote:

Yes it's the box and I understand the settings. There used to be a way to turn off the HOME menu or whatever they call it that comes up when u hit the left arrow.  Gone! I have a harmony elite remote and it was convenient to use the arrows to scroll thru recordings. Nope! Also, as I mentioned, my sound stopped working, setting for sound got changed and it took awhile to figure it out.  Sure would be nice to know when they make changes & what those changes are!

Hey,

I agree with you about not being notified of changes or updates.  I have had legacy TWC for decades, and they would always give a call to customers the day before an update to tell you when maintenance was coming.  Actually, they did stop it a few years later, but Spectrum never does that.  I have to call in to see if there is a message on voicemail if there is an outage because they are doing updates or repairs.

What was wrong with your sound and what setting did you have to change to get it back?  I don't remember the Home Menu being turned off by the arrows, but I always used a TWC/Spectrum remote for that.  They didn't add the Quck Settings Menu til I think late last year is when our division got it.

A lot of Customers want one of two things with the Quick Start Menu:

1.) The ability to NOT have it activated when the boxes are turned on and keep it that way OR

2.) An update in Settings that will allow you to either see or not see the Quck Start Menu with an on/off prompt when the box turns on.

My vote is for #2.  That way, customers have a choice whether they want to see it at Start Up or not.

Third party remotes sometimes will work differently or may not work right when software updates are applied

Satch

• settled4cablesettled4cable Posts: 9
    Apr 03, 2018

re: "third party remotes" (Satch)

and "There used to be a way to turn off the HOME menu or whatever they call it that comes up when u hit the left arrow.  Gone! I have a harmony elite remote and it was convienient to use the arrows to scroll thru recordings." (Figaro)

I know third party here is probably referring to something like the Harmony remote instead of one provided by Spectrum. (I mean I have a Philips universal remote that was provided by Spectrum, but it's third party in the other sense that it wasn't produced by Spectrum.)

I would like to add that I noticed the change described above. I'm used to using the dedicated REW/FF buttons when watching live TV, but I had also been used to the convenience of also being able to use the left/right arrows on the D-pad when it came to DVR recordings. The other day as I was watching a recording, I was confused when, while pressing these arrows, the pop-up menu came up. Again, I'm used to this when not watching recordings, but now I need to break the habit of using the D-pad arrows when watching DVR recordings.

This discussion has been closed.