Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

new digital receivers

da1da1 Posts: 8
edited August 27 in Watch TV 2018 Archive May 30, 2018

just a warning for custmers getting the required digital receiver. i have had 2 boxes installed one by myself and one by a technician. in both cases , even with the tv and receiver off---the box continues to heat up and i mean gets hot,so much that we wont leave the house or got to bed at night unless we unplug completely. which means we have to reboot each time we turn on.im just concerned someone may place the box next to some combustable materials  and start a fire. just be cautious !!!!!!!  

Comments

• da1da1 Posts: 8
    May 30, 2018

subject on post should have been" new digital receiver warning"

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    May 30, 2018

Which receiver make and model do you have?

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭
    May 30, 2018

Second, when you received the replacement receiver from Spectrum, did you also receive a replacement "wall wart" power supply at the same time? 

And please also send along your ZIP Code so we can tell which portion of the USA you are located. 

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,701 helper
    May 30, 2018

@reds91185 wrote:

Yes,

We need the make and model of receiver.  Also make sure that the following conditions are present:

• The box is in an open well-ventilated area.
    • No vents are covered up and there are a good 1" to 2" on the side of the box.
    • It is normal for the box to feel warm.  But if you put your hand on the box and it feels painfully hot, that should not be happening.
    • It's also not good to unplug the box every night.  You will not only miss updates, but this strains the box.

I would get this box replaced, immediately.

Satch

May 31, 2018

@Satch wrote:

@reds91185 wrote:

Yes,

We need the make and model of receiver.  Also make sure that the following conditions are present:

• The box is in an open well-ventilated area.
    • No vents are covered up and there are a good 1" to 2" on the side of the box.
    • It is normal for the box to feel warm.  But if you put your hand on the box and it feels painfully hot, that should not be happening.
    • It's also not good to unplug the box every night.  You will not only miss updates, but this strains the box.

I would get this box replaced, immediately.

Satch

Guys,

I chatted with a tech who said that there are reports of the World Boxes being hot to the touch.  Do we have tickets on this issue?  He said that this is a manufacturer problem not Spectrum.  I hope that the new World Box 2.0 units run cooler.

Satch

May 31, 2018

humas set top box  3438b7aac1441 is all the info i have

May 31, 2018

i dont think so just te box---area code 14059

May 31, 2018

humas set top box 3438b7aac144 is all the info i got

May 31, 2018

satch why would i miss upgrades if im constantly rebooting since i unplugged

May 31, 2018

@da1 wrote:

satch why would i miss upgrades if im constantly rebooting since i unplugged

Well,

You would probably get the update the next time you unplugged.  We have customers who go on vacation for 30-60 days and unplug the boxes.  They may miss important updates at that time and come home to bricked boxes.  Best to leave your box plugged in on vacation.

Rebooting daily puts a strain on the box.  You should only need to reboot like one every six months to a year, when things are good.  If you can't get a different model box, I would get a fan in on top of the box and turn it on . Set a little fan on top of the box.  The fan should be small and weigh much less than the box.  (A small fan can oscillate  to keep that area cool.)

Satch

Jun 01, 2018

keep in mind the box gets hot when in an off position --so a lttle fan would have to run 24hours a day which would also worry me.i think the only solution is for spectrum try aonther type box rather than humax since some one suggested its the mfg  of the box not spectrums problem. since this tv is at best used twice a week i will continue to unplug after each uses -let it reboot twice a week-and if the box "blows up" i would say "yeah". 

thanks for your inputs really appreciated

Jun 01, 2018

@da1 wrote:

keep in mind the box gets hot when in an off position --so a lttle fan would have to run 24hours a day which would also worry me.i think the only solution is for spectrum try aonther type box rather than humax since some one suggested its the mfg  of the box not spectrums problem. since this tv is at best used twice a week i will continue to unplug after each uses -let it reboot twice a week-and if the box "blows up" i would say "yeah". 

thanks for your inputs really appreciated

Yes,

Let's hope that World Box 2 runs cooler.  Spectrum can this excessive heat issue please be reported to Humax?  Quality control needs to be made aware of this in all divisions.  Yes, even when turned off, there are reports of these boxes generating a ton of heat.  The tech with whom I spoke said that "You can cook on them."  I would share these concerns and even send this thread to the powers that be at Humax so that they know about this.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.