Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Using tv to watch spectrum app not allowed whe not at home

bobrowinskybobrowinsky Posts: 2
in Connectivity Aug 28, 2018

My wife and I are staying in our motorhome at a campground while she recovers from knee replacement surgery.  We were getting tired of the limited channels available on antenna so I opened the spectrum app on my iPad and using the WiFi provided at the campground signed into my account and verified I could get the channels available at home.  Then so we could both enjoy it, I connected a HDMI adapter to my iPad to feed it to the tv.  Instead of the video on the tv it displayed a message that I had to be on my home WiFi.  Now what good is that?  If I’m at home I can just turn on the tv.  So here I am paying for something that I can’t use.  How would Spectrum react if I asked to suspend service at home while I’m away?

Best Answer

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Aug 28, 2018 Accepted Answer

Full functionality requires you to be connected to your home network where you have Spectrum internet service.

Replies

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988
    Aug 28, 2018

@bobrowinsky wrote:

My wife and I are staying in our motorhome at a campground while she recovers from knee replacement surgery.  We were getting tired of the limited channels available on antenna so I opened the spectrum app on my iPad and using the WiFi provided at the campground signed into my account and verified I could get the channels available at home.  Then so we could both enjoy it, I connected a HDMI adapter to my iPad to feed it to the tv.  Instead of the video on the tv it displayed a message that I had to be on my home WiFi.  Now what good is that?  If I’m at home I can just turn on the tv.  So here I am paying for something that I can’t use.  How would Spectrum react if I asked to suspend service at home while I’m away?

As posted above, you must be attached to a modem / gateway that is:

1.  Tied to your Spectrum video service

2.  Tied to your Spectrum Internet service

In the end, you must be at home to watch the full lineup.  I can only watch FX, CSPAN, and some Home Shopping Channels when I am not on my LAN.  "TV Anywhere" is really "TV anywhere in your home."

Content owners do not want people to share user IDs and passwords with friends and family - that would cut down on the total number of paid subscriptions.

To that end, you do have some options:

1.  Use the Native Network Apps for watching content on PayTV Networks that you subscribe to, such as FX Now, AMC, HBO GO, NBCSports, etc.

2.  Subscribe to an Over-the-Top video service, such as SlingTV, YouTubeTV, or DirecTV Now.  Subscriptions to these services are not address-specific.  You may need additional hardware (like a Roku) to use these streaming services.  (The Roku does Netflex and Amazon Prime video, too.).  To make this cost-effective, you may wish to consider putting a hold on your Spectrum Video subscription.  (Must be at least one month in duration, and I beleive it costs $5 per month instead of whatever you are currently paying - you'll need to contact your local office for the details on this service.)

This discussion has been closed.