*****DATA TO POST TO GET HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY *****
Data to post to get help from community: (it is useful to have in one place and current.)
- Your location. city, state, zip. Single or multi-family complex.
- Services you get from TWC
- Make and model of modem
- Make and model of router(s)
- Firmware level in modem (or, post modem page)
- Confirm modem is Online or report otherwise. Login to your twc account and click on troubleshoot. Confirm modem with correct serial/mac has a green dot.
- What are your purchased speeds? What are results from Spectrum speed test. down, up, ping, jitter?
- List symptoms using a wired (not wireless) connection with date and time and any repeating pattern
- Modem's signal, downstream and upstream, and event log pages. usually accessed at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1
- Description of your cable wiring from street and throughout house, include splitters, devices, cable type (rg6, rg59) and age, etc. and specifically the where the modem attaches.
- Description of Ethernet network from modem’s Ethernet port to router(s) and to any additional devices including cable type, e.g., cat5, cat5e, cat6, etc.
- Any recent or coincident changes or upgrades to your system, or any neighborhood changes.
- Run pathping (windows command) targeting a site that demonstrates problem, preferably one that is pingable, like rr.com. If pathping is not available as command execute tracert. (Linux command istraceroute)
- Mention if you only have connection problems while streaming movies/other or playing games.
- Are any background tasks running that upload or download data automatically, e.g., backup programs, torrent client, file/photo/music sync, auto program/app update, etc.?
- If unable to paste web page data directly into TWC forum reply window, use a tool like Windows Snipping Tool (free at Microsoft) to copy screen image and paste to web based site likehttp://imgur.com or http://snag.gy . Paste image url into forum reply.
Thank you redrock in Austin, Tx for putting together this list!
This discussion has been closed.