Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Setting Favorites (new sub)

Geezer64Geezer64 Posts: 69
edited August 27 in Watch TV 2019 Archive Oct 10, 2019

My DVR is Cisco 8742 and i have a Clikr-5 8780 remote. The DVR has the ODN guide i believe.  I understand how to set favorite channels but is there no way to do this from within the guide? I have reviewed online steps thru the support website but it appears that the steps shown do not apply to the guide that is on on my DVR.  There is no way on this guide, to select the channel logo or number.

Just too many unnecessary steps in order to set a favorite channel

Best Answer

• Geezer64Geezer64 Posts: 69
    Oct 11, 2019 Accepted Answer

@Satch wrote:

@Geezer64 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Satch but it does not address the problem. As stated in my post, i know how to set favorites within the menu but there is no way to set them within the guide?  There are too many unnecessary steps to back out of the guide and go into the menu and after several clicks finally arrive at the favorites screen.

If i am in the Guide, there is no way that i can find to set a channel as a favorite.  Going into the favorites menu, only channel numbers and call station abbreviations are listed.  How is a customer to know what type of programming is on that channel without flipping needlessly between the Fav menu and the guide, which take quite a few steps.  Not user friendly at all.  Maybe i'm just missing something here.

It sounnds like you want an option to instantly favor a channel in the guide by having that as an option in the Time Grid when taking action on a program? For example in Time Grid options:

• Record Show
    • Record Series
    • Record Series with Options

Option #4 (Propsed update option) Make This Channel A Favorite. (With option to Remove Channel from Favorites if already a favorite.)

It is not possible at this time to add/remove favorite channels directly from the ODN Guide Time Grid, but I could see how that would be a welcome update option! (Not needing to go into Settings to add/remove channel favorites.)  Good update suggestion!

Satch

Thanks Satch.  Exactly what myself and i'm sure many others would like to see.  Wow, that would simplify things and make this option more user friendly.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,700 helper
    Oct 10, 2019

@Geezer64 wrote:

My DVR is Cisco 8742 and i have a Clikr-5 8780 remote. The DVR has the ODN guide i believe.  I understand how to set favorite channels but is there no way to do this from within the guide? I have reviewed online steps thru the support website but it appears that the steps shown do not apply to the guide that is on on my DVR.  There is no way on this guide, to select the channel logo or number.

Just too many unnecessary steps in order to set a favorite channel

Greetings! 

Sorting Favorites on the ODN guide is pretty easy:

Press Settings on Remote.

Horizontal Scroll to "Favorite Channels"

You will see a long list of all channels in the system.

1.)  When in the Favorite Channel Screen,  Hold the Page +/- button on your remote to get near your favorite channel numbers area.  Just tap Page Up/down button to not go so fast, OR just enter your favorite channel number using your remote, while in this screen.

You can scroll up and down using the up/down arrow keys.

2.) Go to the channel (s) you want to favorite, by selecting it with the arrows and it shows blue. Or just enter the channel  number. 

3.) Press Select to Favorite the channel, a star appears.  You can move up and down, or select Page +/- to move faster through your channels, and favorite other channels in the screen.  Press the OK/SEL button and  put a star next to them.

4.) To remove a channel from the Favorites list, make the channel blue by selecting it, and removing the star.

5.) Follow the prompt to Save your changes when done.

Repeat steps 1-5 to make other channels favorites, or remove them from your Favorites List.

Optional Guide Filtering:  Press The Guide Button twice on ODN, and you can select how you want the Time Guide to Filter your channels.  If you select Favorites, only channels that you made when you created your Favorites List will be selected.  To remove the filter and select another filter, or go back to "All Channels."  Just press the Guide button twice on your remote and make a Channel Time Grid Selection.

• Geezer64Geezer64 Posts: 69
    Oct 10, 2019

Thanks for your reply Satch but it does not address the problem. As stated in my post, i know how to set favorites within the menu but there is no way to set them within the guide?  There are too many unnecessary steps to back out of the guide and go into the menu and after several clicks finally arrive at the favorites screen.

If i am in the Guide, there is no way that i can find to set a channel as a favorite.  Going into the favorites menu, only channel numbers and call station abbreviations are listed.  How is a customer to know what type of programming is on that channel without flipping needlessly between the Fav menu and the guide, which take quite a few steps.  Not user friendly at all.  Maybe i'm just missing something here.

Oct 11, 2019

@Geezer64 wrote:

Well,

All you have to do when you make your Favorites List is press the FAV button on your remote One of the following will happen:

1.) If the Time Grid is on the screen- The FAV will tune to the next  Favorite Channel in your list.  A star in the Time Grid in the left-hand corner of the screen indicates a Favorite Channel.

2.) If the Time Grid is Not on Your Screen- The next Favorite Channel auto-tunes when FAV is pressed.

3.) Pressing Guide Twice filters the guide, with the option to show only Favorite Channels in the Time Grid.

Those are the current options with Spectrum's ODN Guide.  Spectrum Guide I am sure is similar.  It sounnds like you want an option to instantly favor a channel in the guide by having that as an option in the Time Grid when taking action on a program? For example in Time Grid options:

• Record Show
    • Record Series

Option #4 (Propsed update option) Make This Channel A Favorite. (With option to Remove Channel from Favorites if already a favorite.)

It is not possible at this time to add/remove favorite channels directly from the ODN Guide Time Grid, but I could see how that would be a welcome update option! (Not needing to go into Settings to add/remove channel favorites.)  Good update suggestion!

Satch

Oct 11, 2019

@Geezer64 wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@Geezer64 wrote:

It sounds like you want an option to instantly favor a channel in the guide by having that as an option in the Time Grid when taking action on a program? For example in Time Grid options:

• Record Show
    • Record Series

Satch

Thanks Satch.  Exactly what myself and i'm sure many others would like to see.  Wow, that would simplify things and make this option more user friendly.

I agree with you!

Another cool option that doesn't relate to your request but is a cool feature is Recently Viewed. (On by default, can be turned off/on in Settings.)

When you press the Up/Down arrow on the remote when watching TV. (i.e, not in the Guide, not in On Demand) a horizontal cover-art carousel of the last 14 shows you either watched live, on DVR, or viewed On Demand appears.  Just right-arrow over to the cover art that represents the station to which you want to return, and press select on your remote!  You are back at that station right away!

The reason for having this feature on, is to get to, quickly the channels or shows you watched recently, without having to do excessive scrolling or remember channel numbers!

Satch

This discussion has been closed.