Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Slower speeds after Spectrum changed out equipment

adb1965adb1965 Posts: 3
edited August 21 in Internet 2019 Archive Dec 14, 2019

Hi I was having periodic dropped WIFI and Spectrum tech surmised the adapter in my Technicolor combo modem/router was failing.  The technician came out and switched my equipment for the "newest" equipment consisting of a separate modem and router setup (Hitron Modem and Askey Wave 2 routher).  I have always had three pieces of equipment (2TVs and a Desktop) hardwired via ethernet.  Prior to the change they were getting speeds of between 80 and 100 pretty consistently.  After the change they are lucky to get 40....mostly between25 and 35!!  Wifi is working fine with speeds of 200+.  Oddly enough, If I take a laptop to the router and direct connect via ethernet it will also get speeds of 200+.  The technicians came back to do further testing and couldnt come up with an answer other than the wiring in the wall must have a problem or is substandard.  I still have to question why it was getting much faster speeds prior to the equipment change.  My only deduction is that there must some compatibility issue with the home wiring in my walls that is not optimal with the new router?? Any ideas to fix?  Thanks

Comments

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 15, 2019

The router is also the hub for the WiFi radios on your home network.  If your TVs are getting 200 Mbps when plugged into the router with a CAT-5e cable, that same speed is also being delivered to the WiFi radios.  It sounds like your devices are not set properly to pair up with the radios in your new router.  The cable wiring in your walls doesn't directly affect the ethernet speeds, only a defective router or very poor grade of network cabling would limit your devices to below 40 Mbps.

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 16, 2019

You may have some massive interference. Have you tried adjusting the channels for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? Do devices also get slow speeds on 5GHz while in the same room as the router?

• adb1965adb1965 Posts: 3
    Dec 16, 2019

Im a little confused.  Wifi seems to be getting pretty good speeds depending on where I am in the house.  However, the ethernet direct lines to the tvs and my PC are poor...definitely less than 40.  I dont see a way to adjust the settings on the TV or PC .....what do I need to adjust on the router?  Thanks!

• adb1965adb1965 Posts: 3
    Dec 16, 2019

I will try to adjust the channels and see if that makes any difference.  Regarding 2.4 or 5, Im not sure what frequency is coming out on the ethernet to my hardwired devices.  I may be wrong to assume it would be the faster one....This particular router automatically selects the best frequency for the receiving device (as it was explained to me) and I cannot select.  I am going to play around with the channels and see what that does and also change out my cables between the router and the wall and the wall and my devices.....just to troubleshoot.  Thanks!

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 16, 2019

Sorry to confuse you...I read it as the wifi connection was slow.

Changing the wifi channels would have no impact on the ethernet connection. Swapping out the patch cables to make sure you don't have a bad connector or something is a good start.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 17, 2019

I apologize that I misread your first posting and got the CAT5 wired vs WiFi speed issue backwards in my reply. 

If your laptop running Spectrum's SpeedTest (by Ookla) indicates that the CAT-5e wired connections run slower than WiFi,  be sure the router is not set to limit your download streaming speed.Spectrum should never supply a router rated at less than the connection speed tier you are paying for. 

If the wired test never displays faster than 100 Mbps, your laptop, router, and/or cabling may not be Gigabit capable.  Many computers were sold with only 100bT "fast ethernet" cards, not Gigabit. 

Also any wired speed above 100 Mbs always uses all 8 wires in the CAT-5e cable.  A few years ago counterfeit CAT-5e "Gigabit" cables imported from China would fail at a high rate when tested above 100 Mbps.

Please do report back here with your test results.

This discussion has been closed.