Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum app freezes on Roku

I start the app and it works for about 3-5 seconds then freezes.
I have a great signal.
Other apps work fine.
I’ve tried to delete and reinstall.

I have this app on another roku and it’s working fine

Any help??

Best Answer

• DurhammerDurhammer Posts: 2
    Feb 21, 2020 Accepted Answer

@SteveE925 wrote:
    Check out this thread.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Spectrum-Channel-Freezes/td-p/537140/page/5

I have Netgear Orbi and turning off Bit Defender worked. Not thrilled about it, but it worked.

I was involved in the Roku Community thread cited here as well as a Netgear Community thread and support ticket. I can confirm that the problem is with Bitdefender. Netgear's "Armor" is Bitdefender under the wraps. Other users with the problem didn't have a Netgear (Orbi or otherwise) router, but had a "Bitdefender Box," which when turned off also fixed their problem. The problems aren't just with the Spectrum TV streaming app, it affects some non-Roku smart TVs (Samsung, IIRC) and with services like Netflix. The problem for me was that after the Armor trial period expired, Netgear had provided no recourse to disable Armor/Bitdefender without doing a hard reset of the router and avoiding activating Armor. Both the router and Spectrum TV app have been working like a champ ever since.

BTW, if you want some security you can tweak your router's DNS settings to point to a free DNS service that filters malware, phishing, and other stuff (even ADS!). There are several good ones to choose from.

Replies

• MikensteinMikenstein Posts: 1
    Jan 25, 2020

Like the subject says, the app freezes on every Roku in the house. Roku TV, stick, box, doesn’t matter. Remove, re-install, doesn’t matter. Now I just got a RVP-999 error. Streaming works on every other app, Internet speed is over 100 mbps. It’s been this way for a week. Not happy.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 25, 2020
    Don't use their steaming service anymore, but recall some older designs started having issues with newer versions of apps. Was not isolated to Spectrum. For example, DTVN got in hot water because the sticks they gave away in a promotion started crashing after an update later that same year. Appeared to be tied into the lower amount of memory and/or the chipsets in play. Stick+ (3810) and higher/newer models seemed to be just fine once they got updated.

Which model numbers and versions of Roku OS do you have?
  • ScanmanScanman Posts: 12
    Jan 27, 2020
    Update.
    Still freezing after a few seconds of working. Then I get this code “RLP-1999”

The app is working just fine on the other roku I have
    Jan 27, 2020
    What model number roku's are you using?

Some of the older designs with less memory and such have issues witt the newer apps. Not specific to Spectrum... has occurred with other streaming services as well.
    Jan 28, 2020
    It says model 3930X express
  • SteveE925SteveE925 Posts: 3
    Jan 28, 2020

Same problem.  I have 5 Roku devics (Premiere, 3 Streaming Stick+, TCL TV) that all behave the same way.  Started last Thrursday.  Streaming would start, then after few secounds stop.  Change the channel and the same thing happens.  

Did the obvious things like robot router, reset devices, reinstall app...nothing,  Called Spectrum and did all the previous steps a second time.  Nothing. All other streaming apps work fine.  Wifi is well over 100 mps.  Streaming on iphone and ipad is fine.

Spectrum help said they would "log it"

Jan 28, 2020
    Yes!!
    I was working fine for months

Now it “may be a modem issue”

I have 2 roku express- 1 works fine. Other does this
  • Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,207 Lead Mod
    Jan 28, 2020

I am not able to find that model 3930x on the list but sounds like that is 3rd generation or newer. 

This model can not be hardwired to the router or modem correct? 

I do see that we have a known issue involving the 5000x crashing, a powercycle is said to resolve that. I am not seeing anything specific to that model in our information.

I would ask that you PM us at Forums_help so that we can submit this for further review.

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Jan 28, 2020
    @Julia_R, @Scanman

The 3930 Express models only have 512mb of memory in them.

Ran into this issue about a year ago with DTVN (since rebranded to AT&T TV or something). A newer version of their app was NOT playing nice with the 512mb/256mb designs (often implemented in the TV's also). The higher tier designs with 1GB of memory worked fine (3810 Stick+, 3920/3921 Premiers, 46xx series Ultras).

Might be along the same line of issues again.

Link to a wiki features comparison:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
  • gidgetsemporiumgidgetsemporium Posts: 1
    Jan 29, 2020

This freezing issue is also happening to me on my Roku Streaming Stick +.

Spectrum replaced my modem, my speeds are fine, router has been reset, all other apps except Spectrum work great! This issue started in our house last Thursday 1/23.  I am glad I an watch Hulu, Netflix, Pluto, Crackle and all of my other apps, but I would really like to get my Spectrum app working. Paying $260 per month to Spectrum, and I am beginning to question whether to continue service.  Customer support has not been abl to help so far, so I am hoping this is at least being logged as a known issue that needs a resolution.

Jan 29, 2020
    That is about the time mine started having the issue as well
    Jan 30, 2020
    Just curious... are they connecting over 5g or 2.4g, and have you tried alternate channels/width or even the other band?

Once noticed issues with our downstairs 3810 linked to microwaves on the 2.4g (they operate in the middle of the channel spectrum). Cleared up mostly when rooted wifi to channel 1, better still when reduced to 20hz width from 40... but was sluggish and still flaked out occasionally.

Even though it often dips to around 78mbps on 5g band... it is far more reliable, even though I had to root it on the shorter ranged channels around 149 (too much competition in the lower channels).
    Jan 30, 2020

I’m not sure how to do what you suggest. This has been working flawlessly for about a year - plug and play - until last week. Roku and Spectrum engineers need to troubleshoot and fix. They seem to have plenty of symptoms to react to
    Jan 30, 2020
    Agree with Steve here. Everything was fine

And I can’t see how I can switch from 2.4 to the 5 - the roku just connects automatically and there is no way for me to switch it.

I also have a second roku and the app works fine on that. That one is on 2.4 as well.

This makes zero sense and spectrum is no help.

I am close to cutting it
    Jan 30, 2020
    You may have the same SSID for both bands. On my router, when looking at the wifi settings I can click to swap between 2.4 and 5g bands at the top, and set different names:

http://demoui.asus.com/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp

Note that the 2.4 field up top is a drop box item. Notice also in the middle section there are options for control channel and channel bandwidth. Microwaves and a lot of other noise in 2.4g tends to be lowest below channel 4, strongest between 3 and 10. So sometimes you may need to go with a narrower bandwidth (20 vs 40), and choose channels at the bottom or top of the list to get away from interference.

I added 5G to the end of the name for that band, so when a device scans for networks I see that name separately and can choose to connect to that instead (provided the device supports 5g... my Jongo wireless speaker doesn't find it).

2.4 is getting pretty crowded these days, so can get pretty noisy. The radios are sorta cheap and can reach out further for the same energy costs, so all the little things are using it. Anything using bluetooth, cordless phones, cordless speakers and headsets (bluetooth or other), Ring doorbells, cameras, printers... if it has a wireless feature, it is more likely to use the 2.4g radio than 5g.
  • GnatratGnatrat Posts: 1
    Feb 03, 2020
    Obviously this is a spectrum issue. This happened to me starting last Thursday also. Same with about 95% of the people on here. Perhaps a few complaints to the fcc and the state ag office with get spectrum to actually fix its problems instead of giving the same run around.
    Feb 03, 2020
    I’m in

How do we do that?
    Feb 03, 2020
    Check out this thread.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Spectrum-Channel-Freezes/td-p/537140/page/5

I have Netgear Orbi and turning off Bit Defender worked. Not thrilled about it, but it worked.
    Feb 03, 2020
    Interesting

Can I turn But Defender off while using app then turn it back on after?

I’ll try this

Thank you
  • DirkDigglerDirkDiggler Posts: 1
    Feb 03, 2020

I too was experiening the same thing.

Here is my setup:

Spectrum Internet (200/10)

Netgear Orbi RBR50 (1 router, 2 satellites)

Roku (Streaming Stick +, Ultra, Express)

App would buffer and lock up after about 5 seconds. No issue with ANY other app. Made sure that all of my connections were 5gHz (except for Express which only connects 2.4). Uninstalled/reinstalled the app, no change.

Phoned Spectrum and they created a ticket on 01/27 and said they would call me back in 24 to 48 hours. They never did. I called them back on 01/31. Their response was that the problem was with my router (Netgear Orbi).

I phoned Netgear the same day to eliminate that piece. They suggested that I try updating the firmware before they would try anything. So, I updated the firmware when I could (02/01) and then called Netgear back on the same day. Different engineer. First question was, "Did I update the firmware?". I said yes but problem still exists. Immediately, she knew what the problem was. On my Netgear Orbi, I am running their security app, "Armor". The engineer said that they are aware  of this issue and were working on it. There is no way to uninstall or disable the app from the device itself or the app so we had to do a factory reset (paper clip in reset hole and hold for 30 seconds without powering down the device) and when it comes back up, connect to the router with a hard wire connection, reconfigure the router and skip past the "Armor" setup.

I had to re-enter the existing SSID and password and also change the password to the router itself to whatever I wanted. Eventually, the Orbi satellites came back up and everything worked. I had to reconnect all of my wifi devices to make sure they were connecting and associating to the correct satellite. I powered up 4 TV's at the same time and there wasn't even a hiccup!

She did ask that if I wanted to retry Armor, after a couple of days, to go ahead and do so and to let them know the results. I have yet to do that as i want to enjoy my uninterrupted TV for a while.

Hope this helps!

• mwalsh5757mwalsh5757 Posts: 16
    Feb 04, 2020

When I installed and configured my Netgear AC1900 it asked me about enabling Armor. Very glad I took a pass.

Feb 05, 2020
    I no longer have the Armor on there and the app is still not working

Spectrum is zero help

Very frustrating
  • LandissrLandissr Posts: 1
    Feb 06, 2020

Same exact thing going on here, using the Spectrum app with any roku device in our house is pretty much non existent.  Something has recently happened at spectrum and they need to fix it.  All other apps still work great.  I've been on the phone 2x now with tech support and they are clueless.  Please let me know if you ever find a fix for this.  

Feb 06, 2020
    To Dirk that did the hard reset

I haven’t done that yet but it seems to be my last ditch option.
    I no longer have the Armor thing active but you suggest doing a hard reset on the Router anyway?

Is your spectrum app still working?
  • BestiaBestia Posts: 1
    Feb 08, 2020

Just wanted to give some feedback.

I ran into this issue last week with a customer of mine.

His Armor software expired and thats when he started having the issue. 

We did multiple troubleshooting steps to get this to work but in the end we had to hard reset his Orbi + 2 extenders and set them up again. 

- We did try a seperate router just to be safe and that worked but the ORBI has a much stronger wireless network and we wanted the App to work with it. 

His Armor software was expired so it did not get setup his new network. We went back and tested the app on all his TV's and it no longer froze after 5-10 seconds. 

** Customer had 2 Hisence TV's w/ Roku - Would consistently freeze after 5 seconds

** Also had a standalone Roku which would intermintently freeze

Feb 09, 2020
    Thank you I’ll try the hard reset.
  • frankpafrankpa Posts: 1
    Feb 10, 2020

I was having the same freezing issue using a Netgear Orbi RBK30 with a Roku stick and the Spectrum app.  I had been running fine since April 2019, but started having the problem 2-3 weeks ago.  I did stupidly activate the Armor but never bought the subscription.  After two weeks without TV I finally bit the bullet and did the factory reset without activating Armor.  I did give the router a new name and password to make sure it didnt carry anything over from the previous install (not sure if that was necessary).  So far the Spectrum app is back to working, but it is day 1.

This discussion has been closed.