Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

What is going on the with the ARRIS SB8200 modem being eligible for customer owned modem list.

motorola870motorola870 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Apr 29, 2020

The ARRIS SB8200 modem has gone from being minimally acceptable to having the modem certified for up to 400Mbps to 1Gbps then only to turn around and tell customers on revision 4 hardware would be able to be used on the 1Gbps tier. Then on 4-28-20 it was completely removed. I think this is unprofessional. Those of us that have gotten these modems approved for lower tiers are in limbo because of the constant flux on the approval of these modems. The revision 4 and revision 6 are running the exact same firmware and why is spectrum making customers chase down an older variant of the same modem for 1 week to only say the next your not even going to activate them at all?

Comments

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,340 ADMIN
    Apr 29, 2020

Sounds like you are referring to the support article 

Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network

On these support pages, there is an icon in the lower left corner titled "feedback" that you can select and provide your feedback directly to the team responsible for content.  Thanks.  

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭
    Apr 29, 2020

I'm personally in a never ending hardware equipment upgrade mode.......

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Apr 29, 2020

@reds91185 wrote:

I hope everyone that bought this modem thinking they were "future-proofing" themselves have learned a valuable life lesson that us older folks learned a long time ago...there is no such thing.

And unless you are on a plan that requires you to rent a modem for a fee (like me on ELP), there is no reason to buy a modem anymore, since you cannot get a credit for bringing your own modem.

• shoman94shoman94 Posts: 4
    Apr 29, 2020

I agree, I don't know why anyone would at this point. 

• DesireeDesiree Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    May 08, 2020

I've had TWC internet since May 2001 when Oceanic brought broadband to my town in Hawaii.  At that time, ONLY Motorola Surfboards and a few Ubees were used. I was given an Ubee and had unbelieveably horrible speed.  The tech was stunned when he tested after setting it up.  He went to his truck and got one of the precious SB 4100's and hooked it up.  I got full speed with it.  When other brands were eventually obtained by Oceanic, the field techs hoarded the Surfboards to give to customers in areas where it was difficult to get them good service and speeds.  I was told repeatedly to NEVER get any other brand.  I've heeded that advice and and currently, I own the Arris Surfboard 6183 for about 5 years now. 

It's a DOCSIS 3.0 modem yet I get almost perfect speed.  Currently, it has been up for 51 days and has ZERO uncorrectables on the downstream channels and a tiny handful of correctables.  All specs are just about perfect on it.  I get my full speed (200/20) all the time.  I also can access the modem and will NEVER have a modem I cannot access. Most modems now offered "free" by Spectrum are nonaccessible by the user.  Only ignorant users don't care about accessibility.  (Of course, Spectrum has several reasons for choosing modems that deny this very useful information to be accessed by the user). 

I read the threads at dslreports.com in the Charter forum recently about the Arris Surfboard 8200 and noted with relief that Spectrum had stopped playing games with this issue and had authorized it finally.  When I eventually need to replace the Surfboard I have now I don't want anything else...only an Arris Surfboard.  There is EVERY reason to buy your own modem and none to use Spectrum's crappy, deliberately designed to deny knowledge to the user, modems.  I know from bitter experience from way back in 2001 and then onward how awful it is to be forced to use some other modem than a Surfboard.  Many here agree with me and all of us want a modem that doesn't shut out the user. 

I would replace my current Surfboard with a DOCSIS 3.1 one IF Spectrum would cease with the silly games they seem to still be playing.  Spectrum, sadly, doesn't seem to have much respect for users preferences.  I'm not expecting Spectrum to start offering the superior Surfboards free and am ok with buying my own.  In fact, it is ALWAYS better to own your own modem as well as your own router.

• boxermansrboxermansr Posts: 3
    May 12, 2020

The SB8200 has been re-added to the list, as of 5/11/2020, still v4, on gigbyte tier.

• dick_wdick_w Posts: 40
    Jun 08, 2020

5/27/20 update: the SB8200 is gone from the approved/minimally approved list again...

I wish people wouldn't refer to the bundled modem as "free". The only thing that makes it free is that they won't give a discount for BYO.

I'm still on a legacy TWC plan and still getting that $10/month discount I was getting from TWC. If I change plans, I'll lose that discount.

On the upside, they now list the SB6183 as approved on the 400 mbps tier. Now if only I can figure out how to get them to change me from the no longer available 300/20 to 400/20 and still keep the BYO discount for my SB6183...

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 08, 2020
    In our market it wasn't a "discount", but they waived an equipment rental fee.

You may want to take a closer look at the bill... might be getting a different promotional discount. For a while we had a sort of holdover from the PLG system that granted $10 and $20 reductions from the plans, and the equipment rental was it's own separate line.
    Jun 15, 2020

From my bill:

Extreme Internet 69.99
    Service Discount -21.04
    Ultimate 300 Upgrade 50.00
    Service Discount -38.00
    $60.95

Who knows what or why those discounts are there. All I know is that the last time they were repeatedly pestering me that I needed to get one of their modems "to get the full performance from my plan", I went to the store and tried to get them to give me one of the "free" DOCSIS 3.1+EMTA modems. (I also have a "free" S-A/cisco DPC2203 EMTA from TWC days. If I could get rid of it for a combined DOCSIS+EMTA, I could simplify the comm closet and, maybe, reduce power consumption slightly.) The nice lady was all set to give me one but, after poking about in her computer for a minute or two, said they'd have to start charging me an extra $10 per month. I thanked her for her time and left without their "free" modem. I still get the exact same 300+/20+ sercice on my SB6183 I was getting before they started pestering me.

Jun 15, 2020

@reds91185 wrote:
    For my own curiosity, what is keeping you from switching to a Spectrum plan? 

Besides spending $10/month more for a "free" modem, what's in it for me? Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I've never been able to identify any new feature/benefit for doing so. Why should I change plans?

Jun 16, 2020

I only have Internet and landline phone with Spectrum. (I'm going down with the DirecTV ship.) Spectrum sends snail mail or email or calls there to four times each week to get me to add their TV. So far, it isn't working.

Jun 16, 2020
    Make sure you are comparing bundled plans when comparing prices.

They have a bundle with the home phone as well... called it "Double Play" or something like that last time I looked at pricing.

Note also in some markets the base plan is 200mbps as well, so dependingn on what your actual needs are you may be able to save even more money.

May also want to get in touch with your local office as well. They may have a little more flexibility at your market level that the national reps won't.
    Jun 16, 2020

I'm not comparing plans or prices. I'm happy, more or less, with plans and providers as they stand. 400 down would be nicer than 300 down, but 300 down isn't constraining to any use case we have. Even with 29 devices on the property that can access the Internet, just two of us for 50 or so weeks a year rarely strain the 300. And a free combo DOCSIS+EMTA modem would be nicer than my paid for SB6183+"free" EMTA. But not $10/month nicer.

The only change I've contemplated in recent memory was accepting the "free" DOCSIS+EMTA modem from Spectrum to "get full performance from my plan". When I found out it was neither free nor would it improve my performance, I decided that change wasn't for me. I'm not really clear on what plan that would have been since, at the time, 300 was not offered by Spectrum here and 400, plus, hadn't been rolled out yet. This was in October 2019.

So back to the question I reflected back to the community: I have the legacy Ultimate 300+voice bundle with private listing add, and a BYO SB6183. Before taxes and fees, this is running $78.10 per month. Besides the free modem, which I've been told wil add $10/month to my bill, is there any reason to switch to a SPP?

Jun 16, 2020
    Sounds like you may not have been clear on exactly what you were being offered.

As I mentioned earlier, the local reps may have more flexibility than the national reps. I once got offered the streaming only option for TV well before it was advertised. You were likely being set up for the 400mbps tier, which is what you would have been getting for the extra $10--an extra 100mbps bandwidth, not a modem fee.

Think you need to go into your local office to properly verify things again.

For example, in my market, it would be $90/mo for 400 internet and voice--no monthly modem fee. Basically, after the service discounts it would be $80 for the basic internet plan plus the upgrade to the 400 tier and then $10 for the home phone.

Now the rate card does list a one time $50 fee for setup of an EMTA modem, but guessing that can be waived somehow, as I can add voice for a flat upcharge of just $10/mo on a current promo.

Granted, that $90 is more than what you are currently paying on your legacy plan... but it is not an apple's to apples comparison... as it would be upgrading from a 300mb tier to 400mb.

Conversely, you may be able to step down to a 200mb tier for close to $10 less than what you are paying now... depending on just what is going on in your market.
    Jun 16, 2020

Again, 400 was not being offered here at the time. Can't say why not; but that was the answer both from the office and from online CS chat. I also looked up other addresses in my vicinity and was offered 200/5. Nothing higher. Maybe 400+ tiers were being offered one day later; can't say. But there was zero doubt: if I took the modem, my bill was going to go up by $10/month. (There was probably some downgrade to 200/5 option that would have cut the overall bill and had the "free modem" cost included. I didn't explore that.)

20 up vs 5 is more important to me than 300 vs 400 down--or even 300 vs. 200 down. I guess I'm still not hearing any case for spending more than I am now. If Spectrum really wants me on an SPP, or to get my SB6183 off their network, they better up their game or re-price me out of the L-TWC plan.

Jun 17, 2020
    Again... need to verify things again at your local office as they stand NOW.

Don't think you have the standard tier specs right. We never had a 5mb upload cap once they started offering us more than 60mb down. We also didn't get a 300mb Spectrum tier:

60/5
    100/10
    200/10
    400/20
    **oddities in provisioning give extra bandwidth... ie: upstream trends 11-12 instead of 10)

The only 300 offering for us was a legacy TWC tier, which was actually two upgrade tiers from their base legacy 20/3 tier.

Those first tiers were always the basic tier... 400 was the $20 upgrade option unlocked once everyone got upgraded to 100 for free. BUT... 400 wasn't actively pushed until they started rolling the 200mb tier to select neighborhoods. You could get the upgrade IF you went into the local office and asked about higher caps, even though it was not being actively marketed locally.

They did this kind of thing all the time... new options would be activated quietly, in a sort of private beta thing for a while. You either had to ask for it directly at the counter or get an invite to test it before they started marketing it. Like I said earlier, I got in on the streaming only plan well before they announced it. There was only ONE rep there that day that even had the code to activate it on my account, and it was on a very poor quality scanned/copied flyer (actually looked like a low res fax).

Things have changed considerably now... especially with all the extra frequency space they recently freed up. Each market is getting upgrades at different paces--even ATT is going piecemeal with their fiber offerings, offering gig to some neighborhoods and not others. ATT is literally offering 75-1gb one block south of my house, but we only get the old DSL options offered here. Then 4 blocks to the north off the same road they offer 75mb to 1gb again.

Point is, a LOT of markets get into weird states of flux, and the local office may get access to changes well before they go "public" in a market.

You should get in touch with your local office to get a proper take on what your market is offering NOW.

Who knows... they might even have an attractive enough bundle that could offset some of the cost for your satellite service.
    Jun 17, 2020

@RAIST5150 wrote:
    Point is, a LOT of markets get into weird states of flux, and the local office may get access to changes well before they go "public" in a market.

You should get in touch with your local office to get a proper take on what your market is offering NOW.

Who knows... they might even have an attractive enough bundle that could offset some of the cost for your satellite service.

Our local market, Kauai, HI, is so isolated and unique that "weird states of flux" probably is a good description for everything that happens here relative to "Real World" Spectrum. Or most anything else relative to its "Real World" counterpart. One of the first things you learn living here is how thing happen in the real world is not a reliable predictor of how they happen on Kauai. Generally this is a good thing.

As to the rest of your suggestion, well, I appreciate it, but it seems a little like a solution in search of a problem. I'm perfectly happy with the satelite service. I've been with DirecTV since December 1995. I've never ONCE been somewhere that had cable TV and thought it seemed a better experience in any way except no rain fade. Here, in the past year, we've had almost as many hours of Spectrum total outage as DirecTV rain fade.

• QuiknenQuiknen Posts: 1
    Sep 01, 2020

9/1/2020

Commenting here as i can confirm i am another user specifically with a SB8200 issues.

I've tested this on and off for about the past 6 months swapping numerous hardware equipment (routers/modems/cable lines/ moca's etc) and long story short, i can positively conclude its just the SB8200 modem (and to even express the point, I've tried two different SB8200).

I had a technician here that did inform me that the SB8200 was removed from the compatibility list at the time, and they for some undisclosed/unknown reason, they are having an increase tech calls for customers trying to upgrade to docsis 3.1 and still recommend 3.0 for stability.

My personal issue had T3 and T4 reports, with the modem self resetting and not initiating after restart. Additionally, after manual reseting often it would still appear to recieve packet loss and/or increased ping spikes for absolutely no reason and these would only last for a few minutes at a time (making it impossible for a tech to notice and try to troubleshoot).

For anyone reading this save yourself time and try a different modem, the SB8200 has so many issues across the boards and different ISPs.

PS i love Arris, just not the SB8200 & Charter/Spectrum combination.

• AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 27, 2020

I have Spectrum Internet Gig (940/35 Mbps). I've been having connection issues (many mini-disconnects a day, and a few hour-long outages a week) with Spectrum's E31T2V1 modem. The technician said there's nothing wrong with my cable signal, so it's probably caused by the modem, and that they've had widespread issues with this modem. The technician also recommended I use a DOCSIS 3.0 rather than DOCSIS 3.1 modem because it's more stable with Spectrum.

I couldn't find any approved DOCSIS 3.0 modems on Spectrum's list, so I was about to buy the Arris SB8200 until I came across this thread. It seems like I shouldn't get the SB8200 either.

Is there a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that you would recommend that doesn't use the Intel Puma chipset? Will I be able to get close to Gigabit speeds, or should I downgrade to 400 Mbps with to get better stability? I'd rather get half the speed if it means I don't freeze up in every Zoom meeting.

• GRVGRV Posts: 1
    Oct 07, 2020

@AnonymousHero When I first moved into the spectrum area a little over a year ago I had set up the 1GB with the spectrum modem. I had the same issues as you, constant reset and reboot of the modem and dropped service. After a few weeks and tech looking at it I gave up on the 1GB and the spectrum modem and moved to the 400 plan using a modem I owned. I run the Arris SB6183 with the Asus RT-AC86U. I have anywhere between 53 to 64 hosts (45 IOT) on my network with only 4 of them hard wired. It’s been stable and I alway get above 400 to 450 down, and 18 to 22 up.

I dont regret getting rid of that spectrum gig modem at all. I would rather have a more stable network that works then one that has issues they cant figure out. They kept telling me they provide the modem for free and its better to run a spectrum provided modem, that isn’t my experience.

I do point to IPV6 and TLS encrypted DNS server and never use the spectrum DNS servers from my router as well. Modem signal is great, power is -1.0 dBmV to -1.7 dBmV and SNR is 40.0 dB to 40.5 dB on all 16 QAM256 down channels. Upload channels are also all within spec and good signal.

Like you I was thinking about changing modems to the SB8200 and found this thread and some others, I think I will keep the modem and I have and the 400 plan for now until spectrum can get DOCSIS 3.1 running correctly.

Scott

• AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 07, 2020

@GRV Thanks for the feedback.

I've also solved my connectivity issue in a similar way.

I downgraded from the Gig (940/35 Mbps) to the Ultimate 400 (400/25 Mbps) plan. I also purchased the Motorola MB7621 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I'm no longer getting connectivity issues or random disconnects. This modem is recommend by TheWirecutter. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-cable-modem/

I use this free application StarTrinity Continuous Internet Speed Test Tool to quantitatively measure whether my connection is dropping. http://startrinity.com/InternetQuality/ContinuousBandwidthTester.aspx

With the DOCSIS 3.1 modem, I saw my connection dropping (0 download and upload speed) a few times an hour for a few seconds or minutes. That happened on both the 940 and 400 Mbps plan. When I switched to the DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I've gone days without a single instance of connection drop. So it's confirmed that Spectrum's network doesn't work well with DOCSIS 3.1 modems. Unfortunately, I have not found any approved DOCSIS 3.0 modem that gets Gigabit speeds on Spectrum, so I'll live with 400 Mbps for now (not a big deal, and saves money).

The crazy thing is this means many Spectrum Gig customers are probably paying like $50 extra for Gigabit speed but unstable connection that sucks for video conferencing or gaming.