Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Cisco Phone with Residential Telephone Service

flyncalpolyflyncalpoly Posts: 21
in Digital Phone May 07, 2020

I am wondering if it is possible to just use a cisco ip phone, and bypass the need for a voice modem?   I have ethernet throughout the house so that isn't an issue.

Comments

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    May 07, 2020

Highly doubtful. The phone service has to be authenticated and initialized somehow...that's what the modem is for. 

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988
    May 07, 2020

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  You can't take any old IP phone and plug it into a LAN drop and expect the phone to function unless it's intended to function that way.  Most IP phones are designed to run on a dedicated LAN set up for phone service (such as in an office setting).

I have been able to use an IP phone from work, which would plug into a PoE brick, and that would in-turn be plugged into an ethernet jack.  The phone had to be set-up for this application.

I currently use an Ooma Telo as my home office phone,  and that does what the PoE brick did for my old work-phone away from work.

If your "IP Phone" is designed to plug into any ethernet jack, then yes, it would work, but this would be a service separate from what Spectrum offers as voice / phone service.

• flyncalpolyflyncalpoly Posts: 21
    May 08, 2020

Usually the cisco ip phones have the ability to have a provisioning profile.  Typically ringcentral or some other company sends you or you download the profile, and install it on the IP phone.  The phone typically takes care of the authentication methods in the cisco phones.  This is what I am wondering if spectrum voice has the capability of doing.  We will be transitioning to work from home, and will need a landline.  Is this something that spectrum is capable of or would I have to upgrade to the business side to be able to do this?

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988
    May 08, 2020

@flyncalpoly wrote:

Usually the cisco ip phones have the ability to have a provisioning profile.  Typically ringcentral or some other company sends you or you download the profile, and install it on the IP phone.  The phone typically takes care of the authentication methods in the cisco phones.  This is what I am wondering if spectrum voice has the capability of doing.  We will be transitioning to work from home, and will need a landline.  Is this something that spectrum is capable of or would I have to upgrade to the business side to be able to do this?

My experience is with Mitel IP Phones, and they normally need to be on a VoIP LAN, but they CAN be provisioned to work from any Ethernet / LAN Drop, but they'll still need power (which is where the PoE Brick comes into play).  The phone will be configured to send it's IP packets to your phone provider, which will typically be the person who buys the phone.

If your company is requiring you to work from home, is requiring you to have a land line, but is NOT providing a provisioned IP phone for you to use, it will be on you, if you want to use an IP Phone as your "work while not at work" phone, to provision it and pay for its ability to connect to the phone network (i.e - You pay RingCentral or any other VoIP phone provider).  This is beyond what Spectrum will offer in way of residential voice serivce.

I have an Ooma Telo (and a HD Handset that goes with it, although I could plug in any other phone of my choice should I choose), and that Telo & handset combo moves with me whenever I do.  I just plug it into a LAN drop / router, and I am done. 

This discussion has been closed.