Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Deleted recordings undelete themselves

gberksongberkson Posts: 14
in TV Equipment Jun 06, 2020

In the past several months, programs that I have recorded and deleted constantly reappear in my list. I have changed cable boxes but the problem persists.

What is strange is that it happens only for programs recorded on a single station (channel 8, PBS SoCal). Programs that are deleted from a different channel (eg HBO) remain deleted.

I have not been able to figure out if they reappear after the box has been turned off and then on again or if it is after a number of minutes (or combination of the two). Either way, this shouldn't happen, especially as it is localized to a single channel.

Best Answer

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,189 Lead Mod
    Jun 07, 2020 Accepted Answer

I would agree that it is the firmware/software for the box, an in house tech will not be able to do anything with this. 

I have seen reports of similar issues. I do suspect this is something we are working on.

I have not been able to find a ticket that exactly details this issue but others that do suggest setting those to delete as space is needed.

I will forward this along to our folks!

Good morning (6/24) This issue is a known issue we are working to resolve. The suggested work around is still to mark the programs as delete when space is needed. This will prevent the DVR from failing to record when storage space is limited. 

Julia 

Replies

Jun 06, 2020

Good morning. 

What guide are you using? 

How do you have that program set up? Set to delete when the box is full or something else?

Julia 

• gberksongberkson Posts: 14
    Jun 06, 2020

Sorry, but I'm unsure what you mean by "what guide."

Some of the programs (PBS Newshour and PBS Weekend News) are recurring (series) recordings. Great Performances were individual recordings. Although the programs might be set to delete when the box is full, I delete them manually after watching. Once I delete them, they are gone until the resurrect later.

UPDATE: When I look at my list of recordings, it says that the disc is 5% full. After I manually delete all of the recordings, it still states that the disc is 5% full. There are 18 recordings of the weekly news (18 hours), 5 recordings of the weekend news (2.5 hours), 2 recordings of Great Performances (3 hours). There was also one program from HBO (1 hour).

I just manually deleted everything. I then turned the box on and off about 4 times within the course of the following 4 minutes. At that point, ALL of the PBS SoCal (channel 8) shows returned. The HBO show remained deleted.

Additional info: I checked the History pane. After deleting everything, the history list showed the latest HBO program as DELETED and showed only the oldest of each of the PBS programs but showed them as COMPLETED: in one case May 8th, in the other May 9th (in other words, the 1st of the 18 shows respectively the 1st of 9 shows).

Finally, when perusing the "resurrected" shows in my list to watch, many of them indicate that I hadn't even watched a portion of them (which I had). Also, the History pane also "resurrected" the complete list of previously deleted programs.

Jun 06, 2020

When you say you are turning off and back on, you are not unplugging the power, just powering off with the remote?

You can find out what guide you have here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/which-guide-do-i-have-t?redirected=true

I ask this because I can check on known issue for this guide. 

Julia 

Jun 06, 2020

Hi Julia!

First, it is the Spectrum Guide (not SARA et al).

Second, I have only been turning the power on and off, not disconnecting the power cord.

Third, as I mentioned in my original post, this happened with the same model box/guide that I had previously. Spectrum exchanged boxes hoping it would fix the problem. I should also mention that both Spectrum and I (with the original box) disconnected the power, did a manual reset, refreshed receiving a signal sent by Spectrum.

Fourth - and most importantly -- thank you for taking the time to assist me.

PS Would you like me to take any screen shots?

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Jun 06, 2020

@gberkson wrote:

Hi Julia!

First, it is the Spectrum Guide (not SARA et al).

Second, I have only been turning the power on and off, not disconnecting the power cord.

Third, as I mentioned in my original post, this happened with the same model box/guide that I had previously. Spectrum exchanged boxes hoping it would fix the problem. I should also mention that both Spectrum and I (with the original box) disconnected the power, did a manual reset, refreshed receiving a signal sent by Spectrum.

Fourth - and most importantly -- thank you for taking the time to assist me.

PS Would you like me to take any screen shots?

To add to this thread,

If you have a  camera screenshots always help.  What programs do you have listed currently as a SERIES? These are the screenshots that I would like to see on the problematic PBS channel.

How long is the time interval between the deletion of a show or series and than it is randomly coming back?

What model box do you have now?  Do you recall if your previous box was the same model?

Where are you located? City? State? and Zip?

Satch

Jun 06, 2020

If you will give this a try for me please 

1.      Press Menu on your remote. 

1.    Using the arrow buttons, scroll to Account Overview and then press  OK/Select. 
    2.    Scroll to Equipment using the arrow buttons and then press OK/Select. 
    3.    Highlight RESET DATA and then press OK/Select. 
    4.   Once the system has reset give that another try please. 

We have seen a few issues with the Spectrum guide when it comes to Deleting recently. I am not seeing that what you describe is listed. Do you ever get error messages when attempting to delete programs? One thing I suggest for you is to go in and edit the options for saving those programs to delete when space is needed. 

Julia 

Jun 06, 2020

IMG_2819.JPGIMG_2820.JPGIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2822.JPGNon-series recording (PBS)Non-series recording (PBS)History list AFTER deleting everythingHistory list AFTER deleting everythingAccessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Accessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Hi Satch!

I'm also answering Julia's latest questions in a direct reply to her message.

But to answer your questions:

Am attaching photos below. I also took a pic of the settings for the HBO program that does delete as well as the History screen after deleting everything.

It's hard to pinpoint the delay in time. When I was writing earlier, about 4 minutes. Just now, longer. However, I encountered other problems. Suddenly the full Menu and DVR Menu would not load and would only get the mini versions. After turning the power on and off several times, I did a manual reboot which solved that problem. But this time, it was about 10 minutes.

The box is a Technicolor 210 as was the box that this one replaced that had exactly the same illness.

I am located in La Quinta, CA 92253.

Now I'm off to reply to Julia's latest.

And thanks for your help too!

Jun 06, 2020

Hi Julia!

In case you didn't see, I also replied to Satch's post. Didn't want to get things too confused.

In reply to your request, I did as you asked. The programs came back.

G

Jun 07, 2020

@gberkson wrote:

IMG_2819.JPGIMG_2820.JPGIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2822.JPGNon-series recording (PBS)Non-series recording (PBS)History list AFTER deleting everythingHistory list AFTER deleting everythingAccessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Accessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Hi Satch!

I'm also answering Julia's latest questions in a direct reply to her message.

But to answer your questions:

Am attaching photos below. I also took a pic of the settings for the HBO program that does delete as well as the History screen after deleting everything.

It's hard to pinpoint the delay in time. When I was writing earlier, about 4 minutes. Just now, longer. However, I encountered other problems. Suddenly the full Menu and DVR Menu would not load and would only get the mini versions. After turning the power on and off several times, I did a manual reboot which solved that problem. But this time, it was about 10 minutes.

The box is a Technicolor 210 as was the box that this one replaced that had exactly the same illness.

I am located in La Quinta, CA 92253.

Now I'm off to reply to Julia's latest.

And thanks for your help too!

Thanks!

I only see triangles in your screenshots though.  I would not reboot or refresh the equipment too much though. The sounds more like some kind of guide/software bug.  If Spectrum can pin this down, they can open up a ticket on this issue.

The thing is that rebooting resets all error signals, whether you are rebooting a box, modem, or router, and it takes at least six hours for any error codes to come back. This is why so many people will not wait at least six hours, and will reboot the equipment before six hours have passed. Tech comes out and finds nothing wrong. This is because the error codes that the tech reads on his meter are reset with the reboot of any equipment and take six hours to come back. Keep this in mind for service calls.

But see what Julia's equipment reset options do for you.

Satch

Jun 07, 2020

Hi Satch!

Don't know why you saw only triangles; I see the actual photos on my post. Oh well, it's sort of academic anyway...

Don't know if you saw my reply to Julia's post but the reset didn't do anything. I find it strange that it's only one channel. However, the fact that it happened on two different boxes (of the same make and model) would lead me to believe that it's a fault in the box (software or hardware).

I'll wait to see what she suggests before I put Spectrum on it one more once.

Thanks for your help!

Jun 07, 2020

@gberkson wrote:

Hi Satch!

Don't know why you saw only triangles; I see the actual photos on my post. Oh well, it's sort of academic anyway...

Don't know if you saw my reply to Julia's post but the reset didn't do anything. I find it strange that it's only one channel. However, the fact that it happened on two different boxes (of the same make and model) would lead me to believe that it's a fault in the box (software or hardware).

I'll wait to see what she suggests before I put Spectrum on it one more once.

Thanks for your help!

My advice,

Don't do box swaps unless you absolutely have to do that.  You never know what you are going to get in a swap or an exchange! Reading the symptoms of your post information suggests that this is a hardware bug OR a listing bug with the Spectrum Guide software. A swap may likely not only NOT solve your problem, it may open up a new set of problems.

Since you also have not reported any pixilation or picture/sound drop outs happening consistently, we can rule out the signal issues. Box swaps will NEVER solve bad signals. Signal issues are related to problems with inside/outside wiring, the main drop, or something in your node. Sometimes signal issues can be the main junction box further down your street.  I would suggest setting up your recordings (both individual and series recordings) to "Delete When Space is Needed."  You only have 5% of your DVR storage being used, that's nothing! The modern boxes are 1 TB storage device with space for a solid 100 hours of HD programing. You have nothing to worry about!

Constant reboots or resets of equipment have a greater chance of messing something up than improving performance.  If you don't see an improvement after a MAXIMUM of two reboots within a small time frame, something else is wring.  I have gone more than six months without having to reboot my box,  Sometimes the boxes/modems/routers may reboot overnight between 12am-6AM for maintenance or software updates,  But this is a once in a blue moon thing,  If this is happening every night for more than a week, you need to contact Spectrum and if they are not saying on Voicemail that they are doing maintenance or have an outage in your area, than I would set up a service call, but  remember, not to reboot any equipment for six hours, prior to your tech vist to avoid a reset of the error signals.

Too much potential risk of problems with swapping equipment or needing to constantly reboot just for one channel.  If your storage space gets up to like 75% used, or more channels start showing this behavior, I would be concerned, but not for one station.  This is a listing or software bug related to the new Spectrum Guide.  It just isn't widespread enough to cause concern for Spectrum to open a ticket on it.  At least three people have to report the same problem in a given area in order for escalation of an issue to be given high priority.  I have been involved with Cable since 1985, and have a good idea of how these things work.

Satch

Jun 07, 2020

Satch:

Many thanks. Obviously, this is something I can live with. It's just that it is annoying. I'll just stop deleting them so as to avoid further frustration.

I sort of figured that if the same probelm was happening on two boxes that it wasn't the box but something else. Or it's a flaw in the design of the hardware/software. 

It's not worth having someone come out again as you say.

Thanks again.

G

Jun 07, 2020

Thanks again for all of your help. I hope that by passing along the info, Spectrum will be able to fix the problem.

• laz000laz000 Posts: 2
    Jun 23, 2020

After a delete a show without error they come back. It's not being recorded again, the DVR either fails to delete them or is recovering them somehow.  

I have tried soft reboot, hard reboot, and reset the Data. 

I have even tried deleting an entire series at once and the DVR brings all 7 shows of the series back in the exact same order they were before.  The problem has been listed in forum before but a mod labeled in "solved" even though it hasn't been solved. Is there any true solution for this issue. 

You seem to have a firmware problem

• laz000laz000 Posts: 2
    Jun 23, 2020
    This problem has NOT been solved yet.
    Jun 23, 2020
    True. The reason I marked a previous reply as having solved the problem was that while there was no fix, the problem was being forwarded to higher-ups that would, hopefully, find a fix. This was in contrast to being told "nope, don't know what to do. good luck."

I hope that it can be addressed soon. It is very annoying!
  • karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 23, 2020

Spectrum has several different models of DVR including the '210 world box', and more than one programming guide directory service provider that the DVRs use for scheduling.  Each has its own peculiarities and you haven't yet mentioned to us which of each you have at your location.   Please supply more details:  Make and model number of your DVR box; type of channel guide service, and your zip code which will tell us which part of the company provides your cable service.

Jun 24, 2020

@karlbeckman wrote:

Spectrum has several different models of DVR including the '210 world box', and more than one programming guide directory service provider that the DVRs use for scheduling.  Each has its own peculiarities and you haven't yet mentioned to us which of each you have at your location.   Please supply more details:  Make and model number of your DVR box; type of channel guide service, and your zip code which will tell us which part of the company provides your cable service.

I agree with all of the above,  This sounds like the new Spectrum Guide, but we do need the following to assist:

1.) Box make and model?

2.) Spectrum Guide or ODN ?  For type of guide, see here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/which-guide-do-i-have-t?redirected=true

3.) Screenshots of the deleted series or individual show that you are deleting and another screenshot showing the show back in the system.

4.) Does this happen on some shows or series?  Which ones? Or does this happen on all shows and series?

4.).) Your location?  City, State, and Zip.  Location is needed to determine if this issue has open tickets for your subscription area.

Note-There is a Spectrum Guide bug where if a show series is not listed in the guide, the series will  not be removed from the DVR Library on Spectrum Guide.

Satch

Jun 24, 2020
    See my reply to Satch
    Jun 24, 2020

Hi Satch!

You may recall that 3 weeks ago, I answered your questions above with the following:

Technicolor 210 box
    Spectrum Guide
    La Quinta Ca 92253
    Happens ONLY on PBSSoCal shows (my channel 8), whether or not recorded individually or as a series.
    Does NOT occur with programs recorded from any other channel

Photos were also posted but you stated that you could only see large triangles. Would you like me to do new screenshots and post again?

Also, all shows ARE listed in the Spectrum Guide.

I can also mention the following as an aside:

Before getting the Technicolor 210 box with the Spectrum Guide, I had a different box (make/model unknown) but with the ODN Guide (this is based on looking at the pictures of the remotes). NEVER had this problem.

ALSO, with the current box, I initially received "over heated" warnings even though the placement of the box (yes, it is inside a cabinet) was EXACTLY the same as the prior box (for which I never received such a warning). I did adjust the shelving giving the box a good 6+ inches above free and clear. That stopped the warning UNTIL last night when it started again!

Personally, I think the Technicolor box is crap but that's purely based on my extremely negative experience with it (it might be better technically but it and the guide are not user-friendly IMHO).

Thanks again for your continued help!

Jun 24, 2020

@gberkson wrote:

Hi Satch!

You may recall that 3 weeks ago, I answered your questions above with the following:

Technicolor 210 box
    Spectrum Guide
    La Quinta Ca 92253
    Happens ONLY on PBSSoCal shows (my channel 8), whether or not recorded individually or as a series.
    Does NOT occur with programs recorded from any other channel

Photos were also posted but you stated that you could only see large triangles. Would you like me to do new screenshots and post again?

Also, all shows ARE listed in the Spectrum Guide.

I can also mention the following as an aside:

Before getting the Technicolor 210 box with the Spectrum Guide, I had a different box (make/model unknown) but with the ODN Guide (this is based on looking at the pictures of the remotes). NEVER had this problem.

ALSO, with the current box, I initially received "over heated" warnings even though the placement of the box (yes, it is inside a cabinet) was EXACTLY the same as the prior box (for which I never received such a warning). I did adjust the shelving giving the box a good 6+ inches above free and clear. That stopped the warning UNTIL last night when it started again!

Personally, I think the Technicolor box is crap but that's purely based on my extremely negative experience with it (it might be better technically but it and the guide are not user-friendly IMHO).

Thanks again for your continued help!

Thank you!

Several topics to address:

1.) I had forgotten that you were the same poster who mentioned this a while back. I think one of our mods mentioned at that time that the Technicolor 210 box with Spectrum Guide, and the problems with your  shows coming back on the DVR after getting deleted only on your PBS channel 8  in La Quinta Ca 92253 was likely a software/firmware problem with either that particular box or an issue with the Spectrum Guide itself in that specific location.

Best recommendation would be to see if a mod could open up a ticket for shows returning  to the DVR after deletion on the Spectrum Guide 210-World Box on PBS channel 8 in the La Quinta CA. 92253 area. 

You should send a direct message to @Julia_R  or @James_M  with your account information  and refer them to this thread so that they can forward what appears to be software/firmware problem with the Spectrum Guide on your 210 World Box to the development team. Sounds like a listing bug. Especially since it is only on one channel.

2.) Learned from the mod team that other posters will see all photos as triangles until they are approved by Spectrum staff. This is so personal information, which could be in the screenshots,can be protected.

3.) Overheating box issues? You mentioned the box inside of a cabinet.  If this is the case, make sure the cabinet does not have a door on it. If it does, leave the door open.  I have learned the World Boxes do not have cooling fans in them like the older boxes have.  It is good that they have messages about overheating.  I would say, get a little portable fan, put it in the cabinet. Don't cover any vent holes.  Go to Amazon and search for "Small Portable Fans."

Satch

Jun 24, 2020
    Thanks. @Julia_R was the person who had initially answered my post and said in her final post:

"I will forward this along to our folks!
    Good morning (6/24) This issue is a known issue we are working to resolve. The suggested work around is still to mark the programs as delete when space is needed. This will prevent the DVR from failing to record when storage space is limited."

Your comment about the fact that the new boxes don't contain a cooling fan was enlightening. As I said previously (just being an end-user), I think the Technicolor 210 is not user-friendly.

Now off to Amazon to get a small fan! :-)
  • JKellyJKelly Posts: 67
    Jul 12, 2020
    This problem has been going on for months. They aren't working on anything!
    Jul 12, 2020

I figured as much.

So, when my DVR gets full, I'll just exchange it for another box. Nothing else to do.

• JKellyJKelly Posts: 67
    Jul 12, 2020
    I did that already. It's not the box. There is some kind of software bug. Spectrum is not addressing the problem. I have had this problem since March.
    Jul 12, 2020

This is a known issue. I have been advised this should be resolved in a future update.

It should not hamper the amount of shows/storage space available. You can mark the ones you want to delete with delete when space is needed and that will happen if/when space is needed for a new recording.

I am sorry it has not yet been addressed, it however a known issue that will be resolved. 

I am sorry I don't have a date for that.

Julia 

Jul 12, 2020

I know. The only reason for exchanging the box when it gets full will mean I'll be back to having 100% free space.

Thanks.