Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Ping Timing Out Every 5 Minutes

MPFCMPFC Posts: 2
in Connectivity Jun 10, 2020

We have Spectrum Business.  Beginning last week, our connection started having problems.  Our connection stops about every 5 or 10 minutes for about 30 seconds.

A service tech already came out and changed our modem for a new one, and checked all the cable connections.  He is trying to blame overusage in the area, but this isn't a slow connection, it is a persistent and complete service interuption.  We have 4 outher tenants in our building whose service is also connected to the same MPOE, and nobody else is having connection trouble besides us.

Our IT guy has already checked and re-checked all of our (fairly new Ubiquiti) internal equipment.  Everything checks out just fine.  

He had me open the Windows Command prompt and enter the following command: "ping 1.1.1.1 -T"    What we learned is that our connection keeps "timing out" and then returning about 20-40 seconds later.

Spectrum Business has been unhelpful in fixing this.  Our Vonage calls are constantly affected and our business is being impacted by this problem.

ping.JPG

Comments

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,083 ADMIN
    Jun 11, 2020

As a Spectrum Business customer, we recommend having another service call to further investigate this issue.  Based on your registration information, we see that you do have another service call scheduled.   Please let us know if the issue has not been resolved after the technician visit.  

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 12, 2020

It is rather amusing that the first responding field tech is saying your problem is caused by excessive demand for internet services in your neighborhood.  If true, it shows that leg of the network is underdesigned/overloaded and not capable of supporting Spectrum's existing customers.  Why then should they be advertising for additional residential and business users? 

Read your Terms and Conditions of Service.  Insist that they meet their commitment to deliver the rated speed of your data plan at least 80% of the time. Document their inability to deliver the dspeed standards, and include any comments from their technical staff.   File written performance complaints with your state's Department or Commission of Public Utilities and copy the FCC in Washington DC.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 13, 2020
    To add to @karlbeckman if you feel the need to contact your state board and such, the info should be included on your bill. Likely on the back in the section where they detail taxes/fees, terms of service, etc.--may see a listing for Franchise Admin or some other sort of Consumer Affairs entity with contact info.

Hate to see things escalate to that point, but sometimes it may be necessary.
  • MPFCMPFC Posts: 2
    Jun 15, 2020

A second tech came out and this problem is still not solved, nor do they seem to be doing anything expect finger pointing.  They keep trying to tell me that the problem is my internal network, and want me to pay to have my IT company come out and meet them here.

I am now running 2 pings simultaneously: pinging 1.1.1.1 as well as the modem.

As you can see, there is no problem consistently pinging the modem, but the ping is timing out outside my network.

Capture.JPG

Very frustrated and dissapointed

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 16, 2020
    Wonder if perhaps you aren't running into some rudimentary anti-DoS measures... too many pings in a set time frame.

May want to gather some pathping or at least tracert data so they can look at the forward path.