Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Forwarding Email

MKFAYMKFAY Posts: 8
in Email Jun 16, 2020

I discovered a major issue with forwarding email from "stny.rr.com" through webmail.  The newer top level domains having more than 3 characters (i.e. ".info") are NOT forwarded.  In my conversation yesterday with tech support, they said that the system only recognizes TLD's with 3 characters - .com, .net, .org, etc.  My concern is that our website is ".info" as are the associated email addresses.  I want to transition to the new email addresses for the village staff, but this is currently impossible due to the forwarding restriction on Spectrum's servers.  Given that there are a number of new TLD's with more than 3 characters, this issue should be fixed sooner, rather than later.

Comments

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 16, 2020
    Might have to be something done at the server level... more or less a sort of alias/redirect list that would forward them without ever going to the .com mailbox. IDK if they are setup to be able to do this though.

Seen it done at a local university when they brought in Exchange for their staff and wanted to keep the students on the linux boxes. The MX record still pointed to the DEC Alphas, but they maintained a list for the staff on them that forwarded to the Exchange server.

Alternatively, you could establish an MX record where your domain is hosted to point to where the .info email is hosted.
  • MKFAYMKFAY Posts: 8
    Jun 16, 2020

According to the Spectrum tech with whom I spoke yesterday, it is an issue on their server side.  It can't recognize an email address with more than 3 characters after the dot.  As for our village website (ends in ".info"), that's hosted by Vistaprint, and I can update the pages, create email addresses, etc..  I was able to work around the problem by forwarding the village clerk's "stny.rr.com" address to the village Gmail account, then return the mail to her new .info address.  Of course, that won't help when I want to configure the RR email forwarding for the deputy clerk and mayor - they don't all need to see each other's email, of course.

Jun 16, 2020
    Sounds like you need to fix the MX record for the site? This is a DNS record that directs systems where to connect for delivering email. Have them point it to where the .info addresses are hosted instead of the Spectrum/RR servers.
    Jun 17, 2020

As I mentioned, I cannot change anything on the Vistaprint servers.  It is a Spectrum problem, and they admitted it.

Jun 17, 2020

On a test using another email, Armstrong's Zoominternet, I set the forwarding on the account to go to the new village ".info" email address and it worked.  I am rather disheartened to find that a company the size of Spectrum can't do what a regional company can do in their ability to fix something as simple as forwarding email.

Jun 17, 2020
    Something is directing the email to the Spectrum servers. When you were setting everything up, you had to designate that the email was to be sent to Spectrum mail servers. That is what needs to be changed to point to where the .info domain's email will be hosted, be that within the Vistaprint system or where the domain is registered/hosted.
    Jun 17, 2020
    Have to understand that Spectrum is not really in the business of hosting email, websites, domains, etc.

There are other companies set up specifically to do this..

There should be an MX record that tells systems what address to connect to for sending email to your domain. You set everything up so that it ultimately sends your email to Spectrum instead of where the domain's email is hosted..

THIS is where the problem lies.

The record(s) need to be changed to send email to a more appropriate system/service, ideally where the .info mailboxes are hosted.
    Jun 17, 2020

To RAIST5150,

I don't know whether you understand that I am not setting up an email server.  All I want to do is forward a Spectrum/Time-Warner email in the "stny.rr.com" domain and send it to a new TLD, such as xyz.info.  The issue is with Spectrum, as the tech told me.  Their forwarding system is currently incapable of handling a TLD with more than 3 characters.

Jun 18, 2020
    You have a website with a .info domain.

That website has email addresses bound to that .info domain.

Those email addresses will be hosted somewhere.

The DNS entries for the site will have different records registered for different aspects of the domain. One of those, the MX record, is a pointer to where that email is hosted.

That MX record and site should not be pointing to the Spectrum webmail servers... it should be pointing to the .info's email server so that when someone sends an email (or uses a contact form/link on the website) they send directly to [email protected] (not [email protected]), the client queries DNS and gets pointed to the proper .info mail service and does not try to send it to a Spectrum mailbox on their servers.
    Jun 18, 2020

I am NOT setting up an email server.  I am only trying to forward messages from an existing Spectrum account to a different email address.  I set the forward on the Spectrum webmail server to go to the [email protected]  Those forwarded messages never arrive due to a configuration problem on the Spectrum servers.  I can forward Gmail and Zoominternet messages to the new user name.  It's nothing I am doing, because I only named the new email addresses on our site (which has the TLD of .info) and is hosted by Vistaprint.  There is no configuration error on my part, since I had nothing to do with setting up the email server at Vistaprint.   Why then can I forward messages from other domains to the new addresses and NOT Spectrum?

Jun 18, 2020
    Ok... let's try a different approach....

Why are you trying to set up forwards from Spectrum to the .info domain instead of just using the .info mailboxes to begin with?

It sounds like the service is already setup to receive email... so why are they going to Spectrum, requiring you to set up a forward?

As stated earlier, Spectrum is not in the business of doing email.

It is by no means meant to be used as a platform for any kind of business or other type of organization. It simply is not set up for it.

It is a legacy feature... basically stripped to the minimum functionality. They are just sort of "keeping the lights on" at this point.

If you are needing something more robust with things like alias support for websites or community organization type stuff, you should be looking into something like google and such that have much more flushed out services to handle that kind of stuff.

If this is a one-off kind of thing that you are doing more as an on-demand process now and then, you should be able to do it just fine through a standalone client like Thunderbird and such... can even setup rules that can run every time the client synchs, or run them on demand. Can also setup an auto response directing people to start using the .info email address while you are at it.
    Jun 18, 2020

I want the messages to the existing "stny.rr.com" forwarded to the new ".info" email, so the village clerk, deputy clerk, and mayor don't miss any email.  As you may have encountered this situation, not everyone updates their address books, even if they have received notification about a change.

Thank you.

Jun 18, 2020
    Then set up auto reply on the Spectrum account... every time they send an email they get a reply right away to send it to the proper address. Should also doublecheck that all pointers on the site and all correspondence going forward should likewise be directing to the .info domain as well.

Then you can either set up a localized client with rules that will forward everything to the .info domain, or set up the Spectrum account to forward to something like gmail or some form of email forwarding service that can then forward to the .info service.

Once a reasonable enough time has passed, the old Spectrum email boxes can be disabled/deleted so that when people try to send there they get an error message from the service for invalid/unknown/unreachable/etc. mailbox, which should prompt them to verify they have the correct address.

It sounds like from the get go you may have been using the Spectrum email in a way it simply is not designed for. It is basically just a legacy system more for personal use, not for organizations and such.
    Jun 20, 2020

"It sounds like from the get go you may have been using the Spectrum email in a way it simply is not designed for. It is basically just a legacy system more for personal use, not for organizations and such."

The email addresses were given to the village as part of the free service under the contractual agreement with Time Warner at the time, and this pre-dates my arrival on the scene, so I'm in the middle of this.  I have gone through the other steps, so it's still up to Spectrum to fix the TLD forwarding issue on their servers.

This discussion has been closed.