Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Guide /box unresponsive

cb_2367cb_2367 Posts: 74 ✭✭
in TV Equipment Jun 19, 2020
I'm finding that I have to press guide multiple times just to get the guide up. I've got to press up and down multiple times to get the guide to change channels. Can't get to the DVR. Attempts to actually get the guide to move channels and actually tune to a channel are met with channel 0 being tuned. What's going on here?

Comments

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jun 19, 2020

Just to make sure all possibilities are checked...did you change the batteries in the remote?

Assuming that's not the problem, it sounds like the box is suffering from poor signals. Are all connections tight, no damaged coax, no unterminated unused splitter runs?

• cb_2367cb_2367 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Jun 19, 2020
    I changed the batteries. All connections are tight. I called support and they were able to access the box and change channels on the guide remotely, but it was slow.
    Jun 19, 2020
    Really need to know if this is a box issue or a remote issue. I'm trying to use the spectrum TV app as a workaround but more than half the channels only give me an option to record the program.
  • SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Jun 19, 2020

@cb_2367 wrote:
    I changed the batteries. All connections are tight. I called support and they were able to access the box and change channels on the guide remotely, but it was slow.

Hey,

Sounds like you need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test. Specify this in the work order.  Try not to reboot any equipment (boxes, modems, routers) for six hours to avoid a reset of the signal error codes to get the best reading.  Some questions:

1.) Box make and model?

2.) When did this start?

3.) What guide software? New Spectrum Guide or ODN?

4.) City, State, Zip?

Satch

Jun 19, 2020
    Box is the DCX3600
    This has been an issue as of today.
    I think the guide is the ODN.
    The remote I'm using is the one that has TV, input, and all on it. This remote has been working just fine until now. It worked fine last night and then this morning it stopped working.

I've made three calls to spectrum so far. The first representative says it's the box. My only issue with that is what's the point of paying for DVR service if I have to start over again with a new box. The last two representatives seem to think it's the remote. I'll pick up a remote today, but I have a tech scheduled for Sunday as a backup.
    Last representative supposedly cleared the data on the box as well as removed the service from the box for troubleshooting. We also tried reprogramming the remote; no change after all that.
    Jun 20, 2020
    Picked up new remotes. I now have the old remote with on/off and a row of four blue buttons. I was also given a replacement newer remote (the one with TV, input, and all at the top).

I took the old remote out of the packaging and tried to use it. No change at all. Box still slow to respond and still trying to always tune channel 0. Was there some update that went out that is causing this? I really don't want to change the box out., but this really needs to be resolved.
    Jun 20, 2020

@cb_2367 wrote:
    Picked up new remotes. I now have the old remote with on/off and a row of four blue buttons. I was also given a replacement newer remote (the one with TV, input, and all at the top).

I took the old remote out of the packaging and tried to use it. No change at all. Box still slow to respond and still trying to always tune channel 0. Was there some update that went out that is causing this? I really don't want to change the box out., but this really needs to be resolved.

Hello,

Since this is a relatively new (approximately 24 hours) issue, have you tried a cold reboot of the box? Power off the box and everything for about five minutes,  Unplug the box for five minutes. Plug the box back in and wait for about five minutes AFTER the clock has come on and a show is on the screen.  Now, try to browse the guide and note the responsiveness of the remote to the box.

If this is not solved by a cold reboot, you will need to set up a signal or drop line test. Do the six hour non-rebooting of any boxes, modems, or routers, before your service call. A swapped box will never solve bad signal issues!  If your tech determines that your signals are wiring are good, you might need a new box. What is the make and model of the box?  How long have you had the box?  Also, where are you located? ( State, City, and Zip?) Tomoorow, during business hours, a moderator if you have your State, City, and Zip provided, can check to see if there is a troubleshooting ticket for slow boxes in your area.

Keep us posted!

Satch

Jun 20, 2020

Agreed that you need a tech out to check your connections and signals and that a new box will not fix signal problems. It's rare that a box goes bad relative to the other things that cause these types of problems. 

Jun 20, 2020
    Tried the cold reset as suggested and still no change. As of yesterday from calling customer support, two representatives tell me it's the box that's the issue and two of them tell me that it's the remote.

Location is Westerville OH. I've had the box since January.
    Jun 20, 2020

Replacing the box is always the path of least resistance for a rep to take and is (usually) not the correct course of action to fix the underlying cause. You need an actual tech out to your home to inspect the physical infrastructure. 

Jun 21, 2020

@reds91185 wrote:

Replacing the box is always the path of least resistance for a rep to take and is (usually) not the correct course of action to fix the underlying cause. You need an actual tech out to your home to inspect the physical infrastructure. 

Yes,

Tech Dispatch is needed. Avoid any reboots of boxes, modems, or routers for six hours.  Specify a signal and drop line test in the work order.  Tech should also check main junction box in street.  Bad weather, animal chews, wiring inside/outside the home can all cause system/signal slowdowns.

When the tech is there, tune to and have him test an On Demand Channel.  These are also the most sensitive to signal problems.

Satch

Jun 21, 2020
    Latest developments:

The guide is now working as it should with no delay. No idea what changed, but I did get an automated call about a "recently resolved service issue."
    On Demand content works without any issues. Tech hasn't come yet, but not sure if there's still a need for a tech appointment.
    Jun 21, 2020

@cb_2367 wrote:
    Latest developments:

The guide is now working as it should with no delay. No idea what changed, but I did get an automated call about a "recently resolved service issue."
    On Demand content works without any issues. Tech hasn't come yet, but not sure if there's still a need for a tech appointment.

My recommendation,

Keep the appointment.  But tell the tech that you "don't want the box swapped."  The Arris 3600 is a great box with 6 tuners. The World Boxes that they are now replacing them with are only 4-tuners, and a lot of customers prefer the older and more reliable ODN cable guide over Spectrum Guide, which you will get if you swap the box, so don't.

Ask the tech to check your drop line and signals just to make sure that your residence is OK, to verify that everything is resolved at your place. (So that you don't have to go through this again in a couple of weeks.)

Satch

Jun 21, 2020

Could have been an issue at the node or CMTS that was impacting many customers.