Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Switching from Navigator to Spectrum Guide

oh_co_Fn59oh_co_Fn59 Posts: 4
in TV Equipment Jun 26, 2020

Hey everone,

Does anyone know when Spectrum will be letting you to switch from Navigator software to Spectrum Guide that comes on all cable boxes? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Bill

Comments

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,746 helper
    Jun 26, 2020

@oh_co_Fn59 wrote:

Hey everone,

Does anyone know when Spectrum will be letting you to switch from Navigator software to Spectrum Guide that comes on all cable boxes? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill,

This is a division by division thing and it will be very slow because of the changeover to the new Operating System. Most customers prefer the ODN-Navigator software, so if you have DVR service and one of the six-tuner boxes. You should definitely hold on to that for as long as you can. Spectrum Guide is getting much better, but there is still some work that needs to be done before any change-over happening on existing ODN platforms.

i really don't like to give out specific months or timeframes. What I will say is based on past experience with guide and box/updates.  But this could change at any time:

My experience in cable TV for the last several decades has been that the Carolina's, California, and New York areas seem to get guide changes first, than Southern states, than the Midwest,  I live in Wisconsin, and we always seem to get guide updates about two to four weeks after Ohio gets theirs. Each local division management makes the call based on node-readiness, the software running in a division's head-end, and feedback from previous divisions concerning bugs. Plus, you have all the different makes and models of boxes to convert.  Spectrum employees get the first tests.

There are some  things that Spectrum has to fix before any change over of existing ODN software to the new Spectrum Guide:

1.) A bug that does not delete shows or series in the database if the guide cannot find another instance of a show or series.

2.) The rollout of Caller ID on TV for landline phone subs to Spectrum World Boxes (no clocks), which has begun.

3.) A report in some areas of shows in Spectrum Guide coming back only on certain channels after being deleted in some areas. This could be a Gracenote listing data problem.

It is most likely that Spectrum will send out mailers or Voicemail calls when your area is ready to be changed over. I know that in legacy Charter Markets some existing boxes have been converted, but to my knowledge for existing legacy TWC/ Brighthouse Networks markets, not yet,

Once that first area hits. (Gets changed over) and if there are no major bugs or issues the conversion time, again based on past experience with  guide update models is about  six months before everyone gets converted.

Satch

• DV1717DV1717 Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Sep 10, 2020

Is there a way to request a Spectrum Guide box or are all regions just getting random box models? Since usually if it's not a Spectrum Guide box you would be able to go to a store to pick it up.

Sep 12, 2020

Is there a way to request a Spectrum Guide box or are all regions just getting random box models? Since usually if it's not a Spectrum Guide box you would be able to go to a store to pick it up.

Hello @DV1717,

No, the boxes and software on them depend on division avaliability and the software used by the system's head-end. It doesn't matter if you go to a Spectrum Store or ask what is on a tech's truck.. The general rule for Spectrum markets is the following:

Former TWC divisions run the ODN guide on all boxes, EXCEPT the no clock World Boxes, which run Spectrum Guide

Former BHN areas run the ODN Guide on all boxes,

Legacy Charter areas run either Spectrum Guide, Passport Guide, or I-Guide depending on box hardware and area. There is no ODN guide in legacy Charter Markets.

Satch

• DV1717DV1717 Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Sep 13, 2020

Hi @Satch I have had experience in the past where you could get a Spectrum Guide box at the local store but I got one recently replaced and got back a Cisco HDC DVR instead as the self-install kit said MoCA. In a Legacy TWC market. It seems like in Legacy TWC it's hit or miss with getting a Worldbox. Although I did not know that legacy TWC still runs ODN navigator since I thought that was gone a while back. Guess I will have to stick with ODN for now although I have heard a while back that there was a way of getting a Spectrum guide code added onto your account to be able to use Spectrum guide is that still the case? Not sure if you can confirm.

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2020

Hi @Satch I have had experience in the past where you could get a Spectrum Guide box at the local store but I got one recently replaced and got back a Cisco HDC DVR instead as the self-install kit said MoCA. In a Legacy TWC market. It seems like in Legacy TWC it's hit or miss with getting a Worldbox. Although I did not know that legacy TWC still runs ODN navigator since I thought that was gone a while back. Guess I will have to stick with ODN for now although I have heard a while back that there was a way of getting a Spectrum guide code added onto your account to be able to use Spectrum guide is that still the case? Not sure if you can confirm.

Thanks!

Sup @DV1717?

In a legacy TWC market, the only way to get a Spectrum guide on your box is to get the World Box. ODN Navigator is in all other legacy TWC markets. Legacy BHN, doesn't have Spectrum Guide at all. They only run ODN.

Seriously, be happy that you got an ODN box, The ODN guide is more reliable than Spectrum Guide. I talk about some of Spectrum Guide's bugs in previous posts. You can't delete a series unless there is an existing one in the system. The annoying "Your box supports a higher resolution message." If you have Spectrum Voice- Landline and CATV, unless you are in some regions of California, Caller ID on TV is not out on Spectrum Guide yet in legacy TWC Markets,

Yes, there was a story about someone in a legacy Charter Market who had an older guide. and he/she called to have the Spectrum Guide manually updated to the box by the rep. It was a nightmare experience! Update conversions were not yet ready.for manual updates to Spectrum Guide. Don't try to have a CSR push a different guide software to your box. The customer couldn't even go back, and I think wound up exchanging the box.

I am asking for boxes with clocks for as long as I can. ODN is a better platform than Spectrum Guide. If you are not having problems with any equipment, it is best to hold on to what you have!

Satch

• reh_atxreh_atx Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 16, 2020

Is there any way to go back to ODN? My ODN box started having audio problems, and the replacement DVR is on Spectrum Guide. Generally harder to use, but three specific issues:

1) No automatic skip back after fast forward. After fast forward past a commercial, ODN automatically skipped back, since you always overshoot by the time you see the show and hit play. Spectrum doesn't, so I have to manually do that every time.

2) No setting option for the max episodes of a series to keep - just the "trust us to handle it" or "don't touch it ever." There are some series, e.g., BBC World News, that come on ten times a day, and I really only want the last one.

3) Really hard to find the spot to record a series. If I find a show with search, it seems I can only record one episode at a time. For series, I have to navigate to an episode in the guide, figure out how to get Series Info to appear (not consistent), and only then can I set to record a series.

This is a major step backward from ODN. I'd really like Spectrum to add these features ASAP, but don't know how to send them that feedback.

edited September 16 Sep 16, 2020

Is there any way to go back to ODN? My ODN box started having audio problems, and the replacement DVR is on Spectrum Guide. Generally harder to use, but three specific issues:

1) No automatic skip back after fast forward. After fast forward past a commercial, ODN automatically skipped back, since you always overshoot by the time you see the show and hit play. Spectrum doesn't, so I have to manually do that every time.

2) No setting option for the max episodes of a series to keep - just the "trust us to handle it" or "don't touch it ever." There are some series, e.g., BBC World News, that come on ten times a day, and I really only want the last one.

3) Really hard to find the spot to record a series. If I find a show with search, it seems I can only record one episode at a time. For series, I have to navigate to an episode in the guide, figure out how to get Series Info to appear (not consistent), and only then can I set to record a series.

This is a major step backward from ODN. I'd really like Spectrum to add these features ASAP, but don't know how to send them that feedback.

Yes,

ODN is the better guide. You have two options. In both cases, just ask for a box with a clock:

1.) Take your box to a Spectrum Store and say that you want a box with a clock. This will give you the ODN guide back.

2.) Call Spectrum and say that your box is giving you problems and you need it swapped out. Set up a tech visit if you don't want to take the box back to the store, and say you really need a box with a clock. Ask them to put this on the work order.

Possible drawbacks:

1.) There is no guarantee as to what box you are going to get if you do a swap in either option #1 or option #2. Inventory on the trucks with a tech visit, and what is in the stores varies all the time.

2.) You have the option of Spectrum MAILING you a different box, but that can also be a hassle, and there is no way of knowing what box you are going to get in an exchange.

3.) My experience is that you probably have a better chance of doing a truck roll and getting a clock box back than going to a store, but you will have to check to see if your store has clock boxes in stock

4.) You might be charged for a truck roll if you do an equipment change that way, because this counts as a change of equipment and not a problem with equipment. It all depends on how the Spectrum Phone rep enters the service call ticket,

5.) If you get a clock box, you will only be able to record up to 2-shows at once, and not 4 shows at once on the Spectrum World Box.

Where are you located? City, State, and Zip? Asking this because maybe someone in your area might be able to decide if a store box swap or a truck box swap is best for your area based on a similar experience that they might have had. If you do a store box swap, INSIST on a receipt and keep it for your records just to make sure that you are not charged for "unreturned equipment." It is rare that this charge happens, but it has happened.

Satch

PS. Forgot to answer your Feedback Question- One of our forum leaders can certain send your request to the Guide Development Team, but update requests can take months, years, or sometimes not happen at all. Bug reports get priority over new features, and it all depends on the number of other people who make a request, the software on the box, and testing of new features/updates before release.

Additionally, if you need help right away for service and you don't want to wait long for a response, the fastest way is to get a Twitter account (or log in if you already have one) and go to @Ask Spectrum. Follow this account to send messages directly to the Spectrum Social Media Team who have 24x7 responses, Your feedback about the Spectrum Guide is really good, and you have the option of going to Twitter, logging into Twitter, and following them. Than send a Direct Message, with your account information about what you would like to see in Spectrum Guide for a future update.

• reh_atxreh_atx Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 16, 2020

Many thanks, Satch.

I'm in Austin, TX 78750. Spectrum office is just a few miles away, so I've done the box swaps myself.

The old box was a Cisco 9865, and the first splash screen said "TECHNICOLOR." HW ID was 3185, Rev. 4.8, Date Manufactured 5/21/2015. This is the one we got when we started Spectrum in Feb 2019. This had a different guide than the new Spectrum Guide, but did have 4 tuners (they tried to get me to take a 2 tuner box in 2019, but I pushed back and got this one). I was assuming (:-) ) that was the ODN guide.

Second box was a Spectrum 210 that the tech recommended when I called about the audio problem on box 1. This had the Spectrum guide which my wife and I both disliked.

So, swapped for box 3, and explicitly asked for a Cisco 9865 (same HW ID and Rev, manufactured in 2016), thinking it would have our older guide. But, it came with Spectrum Guide, and first splash screen now says "SPECTRUM.".

And, my wife was annoyed there was no clock on the front, but sounds like your Dev team must have been hearing about that, because the box 3 Spectrum Guide had a setting to choose to display the time on the front.

I've never had an itch to tweet or have a Twitter account, but I guess I'll have to get one now and send in my feature requests. It would be nice if the Dev team had a way to let users vote on what features they would like to see. I've had the auto skip back after FF on the last box from AT&T, and the first one from Spectrum when we switched, and that is a great feature.

I appreciate your help.

Sep 16, 2020

@reh_atx ,

Glad to help! You are the first report of a user in a legacy TWC market to have Spectrum Guide installed on something other than a World Box in a legacy TWC market. Interesting story about the 9865 having only four tuners.

Satch

edited September 17 Sep 17, 2020

And, my wife was annoyed there was no clock on the front, but sounds like your Dev team must have been hearing about that, because the box 3 Spectrum Guide had a setting to choose to display the time on the front.

Update clarification:

Got information from a tech guy. If there was no clock on the front panel, you may have asked for a Cisco 9865, but you got a World Box instead.. If it was a DVR, it could be the Spectrum-210 model. The 4-tuners is also a charactoristic of the World Box technology. The Cisco 9865 is very rare, but has six tuners, and runs the ODN guide in legacy TWC/BHN markets. As for the Clock Setting on the World Box. Over time, the non-World Boxes will be converted over to Spectrum Guide, and that setting is there so that boxes with clocks that run Spectrum Guide, (eventually) will still have options for Clock Display.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do with your box and guide situation. If you get a clock box with ODN, it will only have two-tuners. if you do a box swap, to try to get the ODN guide software back, ask for an Arris or Cisco/Technicolor model.

Satch