Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Switching from Navigator to Spectrum Guide

oh_co_Fn59oh_co_Fn59 Posts: 4
in TV Equipment Jun 26, 2020

Hey everone,

Does anyone know when Spectrum will be letting you to switch from Navigator software to Spectrum Guide that comes on all cable boxes? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Bill

Comments

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Jun 26, 2020

@oh_co_Fn59 wrote:

Hey everone,

Does anyone know when Spectrum will be letting you to switch from Navigator software to Spectrum Guide that comes on all cable boxes? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill,

This is a division by division thing and it will be very slow because of the changeover to the new Operating System. Most customers prefer the ODN-Navigator software, so if you have DVR service and one of the six-tuner boxes. You should definitely hold on to that for as long as you can. Spectrum Guide is getting much better, but there is still some work that needs to be done before any change-over happening on existing ODN platforms.

i really don't like to give out specific months or timeframes. What I will say is based on past experience with guide and box/updates.  But this could change at any time:

My experience in cable TV for the last several decades has been that the Carolina's, California, and New York areas seem to get guide changes first, than Southern states, than the Midwest,  I live in Wisconsin, and we always seem to get guide updates about two to four weeks after Ohio gets theirs. Each local division management makes the call based on node-readiness, the software running in a division's head-end, and feedback from previous divisions concerning bugs. Plus, you have all the different makes and models of boxes to convert.  Spectrum employees get the first tests.

There are some  things that Spectrum has to fix before any change over of existing ODN software to the new Spectrum Guide:

1.) A bug that does not delete shows or series in the database if the guide cannot find another instance of a show or series.

2.) The rollout of Caller ID on TV for landline phone subs to Spectrum World Boxes (no clocks), which has begun.

3.) A report in some areas of shows in Spectrum Guide coming back only on certain channels after being deleted in some areas. This could be a Gracenote listing data problem.

It is most likely that Spectrum will send out mailers or Voicemail calls when your area is ready to be changed over. I know that in legacy Charter Markets some existing boxes have been converted, but to my knowledge for existing legacy TWC/ Brighthouse Networks markets, not yet,

Once that first area hits. (Gets changed over) and if there are no major bugs or issues the conversion time, again based on past experience with  guide update models is about  six months before everyone gets converted.

Satch

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jun 26, 2020

It's definitely a regional thing as to which guide is in use on which box, but for sure not all cable boxes are using Spectrum Guide.