Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

CISCO 8742HDC DVR 100-show limit

jnqckzjnqckz Posts: 4
in TV Equipment Jul 02, 2020

My CISCO 8742HDC DVR recently hit 100 shows and got horrible bugs: grey screen froze, pause button failed, 100th show displayed a 12/31/69 record date etc. Disk was only 56% full (most of the shows are 1/2-hour series episodes). After I shrank the show-count below 100 and rebooted, the bugs went away. Can the 100-show limit be fixed by a firmware update that kicks in on reboot? I don't want a new cable box, for obvious reasons.

Best Answer

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Jul 02, 2020 Accepted Answer

@James_M wrote:

@jnqckz , 

How long have you had the DVR?  Approximate time is ok.  

Yes,

This is a good question.  I know that the boxes have 1TB of storage, and space for approximately 100 hours of HD programs, but I have not heard of a 100 show limit.

In addition to how long you have had the box, when was the last time you had your signals and drop line checked?  Box swaps never solve bad signal levels. We recommend avoiding the reset of any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call to avoid a reset back to zero of signal error codes that the tech needs to see on the equipment. Consider setting up a signal and drop line test, following the above recommendation if the issue comes back before a swap of the box.

If your signals are checked by the tech and they are in the good strong range, would suspect an issue with the box.  Even a full box would not display the conditions that you describe in your original posting.  Typically, the ODN guide software on this box the default is to "Delete Space as Needed."  Your box is just a little over half-full at 56^ capacity.  Early indications in my view would view this as either a signal issue firstly, and a box issue secondly.  But until your signals are checked out, we can't begin to isolate the problem.  I would put a watch on the box for the next several weeks.  If the issue comes back, you will need a tech dispatched to your home to check signal levels and your line drop.

DVR's can act up, remember they are NOT designed to be permanent storage devices.  They are designed to hold your shows and series on a temporary basis.  Maintenance and software updates to the boxes can delete shows and series.  For this reason, I will typically make every effort to watch and delete my DVR'ed content within a 1-3 month time span.  Keep us posted!

Satch

Replies

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jul 02, 2020

@jnqckz wrote:

My CISCO 8742HDC DVR recently hit 100 shows and got horrible bugs: grey screen froze, pause button failed, 100th show displayed a 12/31/69 record date etc. Disk was only 56% full (most of the shows are 1/2-hour series episodes). After I shrank the show-count below 100 and rebooted, the bugs went away. Can the 100-show limit be fixed by a firmware update that kicks in on reboot? I don't want a new cable box, for obvious reasons.

What are the obvious reasons? 

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,083 ADMIN
    Jul 02, 2020

@jnqckz , 

How long have you had the DVR?  Approximate time is ok.  

• jnqckzjnqckz Posts: 4
    Jul 02, 2020

Someone asked why I don't want a new cable box (having trouble knowing whom I'm replying to). Right now I'm sitting around 98 recorded shows. If I get a new box, don't I lose all 98? As it is, I plan to do periodic trims; rather lose a little func tionality than hit the bugs again.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,083 ADMIN
    Jul 02, 2020

@jnqckz wrote:

Someone asked why I don't want a new cable box (having trouble knowing whom I'm replying to). Right now I'm sitting around 98 recorded shows. If I get a new box, don't I lose all 98? As it is, I plan to do periodic trims; rather lose a little func tionality than hit the bugs again.

Correct,  when you get a new set top box, the recordings on the old box cannot be transferred, so they will be lost.  I asked the age of the box, because what you describe is consistent with a failing hard drive.  Restarting the box may have resolved the issue, but if the issue returns, I suggest that you contact again for additional troubleshooting.  

Jul 02, 2020

I think the box is about 2 years old. I reboot it once a week, when I reboot a bunch of other gadgets. Today's bugs were the first I've seen in a long time. They didn't act like bugs I've seen before (occasional pixilation). The most blatant indication of a number-of-shows bug was on the 100th show. When I had 101 shows, show 100 said its record date was 12/31/69. When I deleted a different show, getting down to exactly 100, show 100 still said 12/31/69. When I deleted one more, show 100 went back to its correct date (7/1/20). After I deleted it and one other and rebooted, the bugs all went away. I used to do computers for a living, and this looked like a corrupted-directory bug rather than a weak-signal hardware bug.

Jul 02, 2020

One other comment. I'm now retired, and old enough to have gone through "Y2K". I saw the problems that came from people thinking that a year only needs two digits. So I wouldn't be shocked to learn that whoever wrote the CISCO firmware might have assumed that nobody would ever save 100 shows.