Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Been through one router/modem combo and two modems and still experiencing 5 or more drop outs a day.

Matthew8112Matthew8112 Posts: 2
in Connectivity Jul 06, 2020

It started with having to call a Spectrum technician out to look at an issue that I was having with my cable modem/router combo dropping my internet connection, which was a Netgear C6300. He came to the conclusion that the issue was with my router/modem combo and that it should be replaced even though he saw signal noise when he tested the coaxial line coming into the apartment. I was charged for that visit and strongly believe that i should not have been since at this point it is obviously not the customer owned equipment that is to blame. After that, I purchased a Netgear CM1000 modem and have been having frequent Internet drop outs from the moment that I had installed it. When I logged into the modem, I noticed a log list of T3 and T4 timeouts in the event log. There are also uncorrectable code words on every upstream and downstream channel. I had a second technician come out to look at it and he told me that there was a voltage reading coming from the coaxial cable on the modem and that it should not have been doing that. However, he did tell me that it was not an issue with spectrum or even necessarily with my modem. After that, I went to exchange my modem (and pick up a new coax to go from the wall plate to the modem) one day later and have had for Internet drop outs in the first one and a half hours. My wife and I work from home and cant be disconnecting and reconnecting the coaxial and powers cables every hour or less. What gives?!?!?!

Screenshot_20200706-151049_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20200706-151104_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20200706-151133_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20200706-151147_Firefox.jpg

Comments

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 06, 2020
    Looks like your upstream may be getting boosted... upstream power levels are usually a little higher than that naturally (when it gets amplified, the headend does not keep telling it to raise the upstream power levels).

If there is a drop amp in play, that could be the source of the noise that had been detected. May be able to get along just fine without it, depending on just how clear/strong the signals are naturally. Reducing/removing splits down to only what is needed (preferably down to a dedicated line for the modem with no additional splits) can go a long way to improving things on that front. Otherwise, as best you can, verify cables are in good condition, appropriate length for their runs with no coiling, twisting, pulling, crimping, etc.... and that connections are clean, "bright", and tight.

Typically, a modem will not be injecting noise on the line. It can if power regulation is mucked up--but that has a fairly consistent profile that can be detected/tested against. Besides, sometimes all you have to do is swap the power brick in such cases, not the modem.

And I agree... they should not be charging you for a noisy line. That condition should have been detected when they hooked up their test equipment (ie, your modem would not have been on the line, but their device), which indicates an issue upstream of the modem that needs to be addressed. If that is their line, their drop amp, their pedestal, etc--it is something THEY need to address either by that technician or through escalation to a higher tier as needed.
  • Matthew8112Matthew8112 Posts: 2
    Jul 06, 2020

The power levels maybe in an operational range, but how does that explain the internet dropping out 4 or 5 times a day. I would think it would be highly improbable that the second modem would be having issues as well. The strange thing is that the technician didn't see the noise from the wall connection at the modem, but he did see it where the line comes into the apartment before the 3 way splitter which is in the master closet. The Spectrum boxes outside my building looks like they have been forced open multiple times and the covers don't even close anymore. I called Spectrum again today after replacing the modem and they told me that my problem was assigned to the Spectrum construction team and that it would likely take them 7 to 10 business days to schedule a follow up (and the second tech told me nothing about this). I just feel like that is a bit too much of a wait to get a problem like this addressed.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 07, 2020
    There is a threshold for upstream power level that forces a modem to reboot. Some may allow one or two decibels higher than others, but generally this happens when it gets somewhere between 50-53.

The typical "natural" range tends to settle between 44 and 49 across all upstream channels. This is why the concern that the signal may be getting boosted somehow.

Initially it may start around 38/39, but will adjust upwards when instructed from the headend in an attempt to clear up the signal. As resistance increases along the lines, it may need to raise power levels to compensate further.

Here is where the downside of hosting a signal comes into play... you aren't "cleaning" the signal. The noise is still in there... any "hum" that may be on the line gets boosted too. So if the headend starts telling the modem to boost power levels, the signal may actually get corrupted too much in the process.

Check the levels periodically. If you see upstream varying a lot throughout the day (especially if it scales in kind with temperature changes), this may be where at least part of the source can be tracked. Certainly If you happen to catch it with 51+ and then shortly after it reboots, it is definately something that needs to be looked at more closely. But if it is getting amped it may still be significant if it is only a 4 or 5 point rise to 48/49 and it reboots because either way indicates something is going on upstream that is forcing the modem to ramp up output levels trying to compensate, but it gets too bad and has to reboot to try acquiring a better signal lock.

A bit curious about the wiring. Mentioned an apartment, a master closet, and a 3-way splitter. Are those extra lines split out just for you, or do those run to neighbors? If it is the latter, the source of the noise could be from all kinds of reasons-- and not necessarily tied to anything in your apartmant.

It is important that all lines are terminated properly--any open line is a potential source for interference. It is also equally important not to run more splits than necessary for how the household is using the line--each split basically cuts the strength in half. So if it is running a 3 way splitter, at least one of the lines likely have taken a significant drop in signal level and they may be boosting signal to compensate.
  • Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,189 Lead Mod
    Jul 07, 2020

Hello!

I would like for us to look into this for you. Review that trouble call visit charge.

If you will contact us via Social Media it would be appreciated. We can be reached at 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

or

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Please mention your post here and provide the URL. Thank you!

Julia