Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Interface HD tv with analog audio receiver

peace4q1peace4q1 Posts: 2
in TV Equipment Jul 12, 2020
Hello,

I have a Samsung HD (UN50RU7100F) tv with AV & Component RCA jacks + the standard optical/USB/HDD/ARC/HDMI inputs.
I also have a working Pioneer VSX-452 A/V receiver that up til the purchase of this tv, I was able to listen to audio thru my receiver speakers.
The RCA jacks elicit static & hum & the optical sound was tinny & low with an adaptor.
Will any Spectrum compatible set-top box resolve this issue and allow me once again to listen to audio thru my tv?

Comments

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jul 12, 2020

How do you have everything connected? 

Personally, I have all my devices connected via HDMI to the tv then run an HDMI from the ARC connection on the tv to the ARC connection on the receiver. I happen to have the tv speakers turned off because I exclusively use audio from the receiver but I could turn on the tv speakers if I wanted to to have audio from both/either the tv or receiver.

Make sure all the correct ARC / HDMI CEC settings are enabled on tv and receiver. 

• peace4q1peace4q1 Posts: 2
    Jul 18, 2020
    My audio receiver is pre-HDMI!

Here is the answer from Samsung:”

Re: interface UHD tv with analog audio receiver
    The AV jacks on the back of the television are for Input, not for Output.
    For audio out, please use Optical Audio or HDMI ARC.”
    The only way the set top box would resolve the issue is if it has AV Output jacks as well as an HDMI port and is able to transmit to both

I contacted B&H & this is their reply:” This simple Gefen converter will take care of your digital to analog audio needs https://bhpho.to/2WhopVC

Try to use the digital video options for video or you will lose any HD/UHD options if you patch through the analog receiver.”

I ordered the converter. I trust B&H & believe in their expertise & products