Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Cloud DVR 5 second snippet repeating endlessly

Sk3pticSk3ptic Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 25 in TV Equipment Jul 16, 2020

Just switched to  spectrum and am amazed by how bad the cloud dvr is.
The first issue I had was my recordings being filled up with the same random 5 second snippets of video repeating over and over. If I FF for several minutes I can find more of the  program, but eventually a new repeating segment will start. . I know it is not an equipment issue because I get exactly the same issue in exactly the same spot on Roku, ATV, and IPad. The recording itself seems to be corrupted. 

Best Answer

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    Jul 22, 2020 Accepted Answer

Good morning. 

I am sorry you have had so much trouble with the Cloud DVR. I do see that the issue of not recording all episodes listed in a series is a known issue with an open ticket to get that resolved.

I am sorry, I do not have an estimated date for this fix. 

Julia 

Replies

• Sk3pticSk3ptic Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jul 17, 2020

Just switched to  spectrum and am amazed by how bad the cloud dvr is.
    The lastest issue is that for the last 2 days my recordings loose sound about half way through playback. I know it is not an equipment issue because everything is fine for the first part of the show, then suddenly the audio stops. I can rewind to the good audio portion and everything is fine again.  I get exactly the same issue on Roku, ATV, and IPad. 

Am I the only one using cloud DVR?

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,340 ADMIN
    Jul 17, 2020

Sound like you  are having two separate, but related issues so we merged your posts together.   Is this issue happening with one recording in particular, or multiple recordings?  What other troubleshooting have you tried already?  

• Sk3pticSk3ptic Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jul 22, 2020
    I’ve pretty much proved that the recording is the problem Since all clients that I am aware of exhibit exactly the same problem. Not sure what else I can do unless you want to give Me access to your server. any suggestions? I have a video of the skipping issue if that would help.

I only record 3 programs. I record them every day. That’s 15 recordings a week I watch and I would estimate that 3 -5 of them are unwatchable for some reason each week.

My latest problem is that the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC, simply does not record every night. I finally found the recording schedule and even though I had it set to record all new episodes, it was only recording a couple a week. When I changed it to “record all episodes” it added a few more to the recording queue even though these are not reruns. I then had to go back and manually record 2 or 3 programs that were still not going to record.

Seriously, this should not be rocket science. Every streaming service has a cloud dvr, and I’ve never seen problems like this. I may see more than average because I almost never watch live Tv, I always dvr and skip commercials.

I’ll be going back to YTTV at the end of the month if I have any more DVR issues, which is really a shame because the rest of the service is pretty good.
  • dc_dcdc_dc Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 05, 2020

same problem. jeez this is awful. tried to watch a recording on 3 different devices (two rokus and the PC), recording skips around, repeats the same section, going forward sends it backwards, repeating again. same thing has happened on every recording I've tried to watch. this is completely, horribly, hopelessly broken. Are you guys planning to fix it anytime soon?

• Alex22Alex22 Posts: 1
    Sep 17, 2020

I have the same issue. Lots of different recordings get stuck, and skip backwards all throughout the recording. It can't be fixed by refreshing or reloading the program. Are you going to fix this Spectrum? You'll be losing a customer soon if you don't.

• Big_DawgBig_Dawg Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 22, 2020

I am experiencing the same problem as Alex22 using cloud DVR with Spectrum app on Roku. . We fast forward and the recording goes backward! The other weird thing is that the recording is then in that mode and you can’t get to the end of the recording whether you start over or exit recording and come back in. If you do not fast forward at all, it does play start to end. But any fast forward will cause this to occur and then the recording cuts off earlier by the amount you fast forward. But, we also have Apple TV on another TV and it works fine on the same recordings. The other two TVs that have the problem are both Rokus. Seems like the problem is related to Spectrum app on Roku.

• schmegsschmegs Posts: 1
    Sep 22, 2020

It's definitely happening on the AppleTV. I've also got a Roku (built-in to my TV), and if the recording screws up this way, I've usually been able to finish it on the Roku. It happens almost all the time when I watch a show while it's recording, even when I add the 30min padding suggested above. So far, the Cloud DVR user experience has been pretty lousy, and I'm tempted to go back to YouTubeTV...

• TechVoyagerTechVoyager Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sep 24, 2020

Same issue on this end for the past week after previous known issue of not being able to access cDVR recordings had apparently been resolved. Current issue: Am using ROKU in two rooms and it is not the devices causing the problems. Playback of recorded cDVR programs are either incomplete, or end abruptly before program is finished resulting in a "resume" screen of program. When resume is selected goes to different portion of program then repeats same portion of program.

I called tech support two days ago and advised of issues and rep escalated and are looking into problem as it's a known issue. Was advised to uninstall Spectrum app and re-install but after doing so the problem still exists. Spectrum needs to address this issue asap as their customers will undoubtedly seek out other streaming options.

• Big_DawgBig_Dawg Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 28, 2020

Update to 9/21 post...it’s happening on Apple TV now as well(shmegs is right). Not 100% sure, but it seems to be triggered when we fast forward. If we just let the recording go w/o any FF recording finished. But, i need to try this more to confirm. I have seen the behavior where I don’t hit any buttons and the recording just stops and then I can’t get to the end but I’ve done some FF during that session. Bottom line - app needs to be fixed. TechVoysge - thanks for logging with tech support.

This discussion has been closed.