Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

internet

dtrombinodtrombino Posts: 1
in Home Networking Jul 22, 2020

Hello,

I have a camper that is 600' ish from my home. Spectrum will not allow a second drop near the camper but have sent me a second modem. All the litireture that i have been reading states that RG6 cable will not perform at that distance. Am I able to run RG11 instead of the RG6? What converters will I need or will the connectors still work with the splitter that comes with the home instalation kit as well as the connectors on the camper? Thank you 

Comments

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452
    Jul 22, 2020

I'm curious as to how this is supposed to work. I didn't think Spectrum allowed multiple modems at one service location (unless one was for phone only). 

600' is a little too far for a dedicated ethernet run and both RG6 and RG11 will have too much signal loss to be usable. 

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 23, 2020

My recollection from the days of Adelphia and TWC is one TV or internet service connection per street/billing address.  I don't know if phone was different since those are tied to a 9-1-1 address.  Suffice it to say that a 100 acre farm isn't going to get multiple connections to serve each building and barn, much less any non-permanent locations on wheels.  

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 23, 2020

@dtrombino wrote:

Hello,

I have a camper that is 600' ish from my home. Spectrum will not allow a second drop near the camper but have sent me a second modem. All the litireture that i have been reading states that RG6 cable will not perform at that distance. Am I able to run RG11 instead of the RG6? What converters will I need or will the connectors still work with the splitter that comes with the home instalation kit as well as the connectors on the camper? Thank you 

This might be worth a try, but it might be a fool's errand.

If your camper, which is 600 feet away, has "shore" power from the house, you could see if a pair of powerline ethernet adapters will work.  Literature reads theoretical distances of 300 meters, which is greater than 600 feet.  You'd have to ensure that you put the "house-side" adapter as close to the power-feed to the camper as you can, and on the same phase as the line to the camper (unless you are running 220 out to the camper).

Just a thought.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 24, 2020
    Not sure exactly what the needs are... but you could try breaking out one ethernet port in the house to a point-to-point wireless bridge. Can find simple setups in the 2.4/5g bands for under $200 or so that can get you 100mbps or better up to a mile or more IF you have good line of site.
  • rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 29, 2020

check out air max and air fiber point to point , direct line of sight

https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 01, 2020

Instead of coax, consider running Cat 6/6a in a pvc pipe. You will obviously need a switch. Just do a 4 to 6" trench with a spade shovel.

• HomeAdminHomeAdmin Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited Aug 3 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Why dont you get two fiber to ethernet converters and run a fiber cable to your camper.

If you want to go through the wireless route, without the cable mess, this might help.