Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

New Community Feedback Request

James_MJames_M Posts: 2,083 ADMIN

Community Members,

Our teams have collaborated to provide what we believe is an optimal Community experience, and we want to get your feedback and see what you think about the new Community. 

We have created this discussion to hear feedback from you. Tell us what you like about the new Community, or tell us what you think needs improving. The only request we have is that you keep your feedback about this Community and its features or the overall experience.   We want to hear your thoughts!

Tagged:

Accepted Answers

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,083 ADMIN
    edited Jul 31 2020 Jul 29, 2020 Accepted Answer

May sound odd... but perhaps somehow make the login link a bit more obvious?

Clicked on it more as a guess because of where it was located, not because of the graphic that was there.

Also, more for convenience, make the "Welcome to the Spectrum Community" text above the search box at the top of the page an active link back to Community Home. Yeah, I see the "breadcrumb" link path off to the left and all. That banner is just such a big target and I just can't help but instinctively try to click on it to go back to the top page like I can do at so many other places (old version of this forum included).

One more edit/observation... and I will try to shut up to let the others have a go.

The format doesn't really work well in portrait mode on a phone. Things bunch up weird. Perhaps the layout was made with only landscape in mind?

@RAIST5150,

Thanks for the feedback!. I added the login the button and on mobile, and your other suggestions, to our follow-up list. The intention was to view on landscape, I'll ask about making content more readable in portrait mode. Thanks again!

James

Update 7/31/20

@RAIST5150 ,

The mobile sign in issue will be fixed in our next update and the team liked the idea making "Welcome to Spectrum Community" an active link to the home page. Look for the feature soon!

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29 2020 Jul 29, 2020

May sound odd... but perhaps somehow make the login link a bit more obvious?

Clicked on it more as a guess because of where it was located, not because of the graphic that was there.

Also, more for convenience, make the "Welcome to the Spectrum Community" text above the search box at the top of the page an active link back to Community Home. Yeah, I see the "breadcrumb" link path off to the left and all. That banner is just such a big target and I just can't help but instinctively try to click on it to go back to the top page like I can do at so many other places (old version of this forum included).

One more edit/observation... and I will try to shut up to let the others have a go.

The format doesn't really work well in portrait mode on a phone. Things bunch up weird. Perhaps the layout was made with only landscape in mind?

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 29, 2020

looking good to me! Good Job Guys

Jul 29, 2020

I noticed that on the front page of the Spectrum Community forum, the dates of posts from before today’s date are in DD/MM/YY format. I suggest either changing it to MM/DD/YY or making it customizable by the user.

Also, does the forum software allow admins to remove the one-hour time limit to edit a post?

@Joey1986,

Yes, we added the date format to our follow up list. Hopefully we will see that resolved soon. The 1 hour time limit for editing is the default setting and is the same as the former Forum. The intention is to ensure the flow of conversations, with most recent questions and responses shown in order. Can you elaborate more on why more time is needed? We can certainly consider it. Thanks.

James

Jul 29, 2020

looking good to me! Good Job Guys

@rocketjetz,

Appreciate the feedback! We are excited about the changes!

James

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Jul 29, 2020

@James_M Hi James! Jack here! So far I like what I see. This upgrade provides a more integrative and interactive approach with the rest of the new Spectrum Upgrades. Some questions right out of the box:

1.) Does this forum upgrade now allow interaction for legacy Charter and former Brighthouse Networks subs? If not, this would be a great update!

2.) Will you be hiring more mod staff to help with the increased workload, especially if #1 is now in effect or will be in affect in the future?

3.) Would LOVE to see the option for a Dark Theme setting on the forum! I have sensitive eyes, and both my Windows 10 PC's, I have Dark Theme enabled as default. The White background is a little too bright for me.

Jack

"Satch"

@Satch,

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the site feels like it fits with other Spectrum sites. If you haven't already, check out the Welcome Page that also outlines some of the new features.

To answer your questions:

1.) Does this forum upgrade now allow interaction for legacy Charter and former Brighthouse Networks subs? If not, this would be a great update!

Yes !!! A big part of this effort was including all Spectrum customers.

2.) Will you be hiring more mod staff to help with the increased workload, especially if #1 is now in effect or will be in affect in the future?

The goal is to grow into a thriving Community, you will likely see some new moderators.

3.) Would LOVE to see the option for a Dark Theme setting on the forum! I have sensitive eyes, and both my Windows 10 PC's, I have Dark Theme enabled as default. The White background is a little too bright for me.

I will pass along the suggestion and check out what options are available.

James

Small bug,

Notification seems to show one unread message even after all messages have been read. "Mark all Read" makes this go away at this time.

Satch

• Joey1986Joey1986 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 29, 2020

More time to edit posts could be handy if, for example, users made a typo that they didn’t catch immediately or within the one hour limit. This would benefit those who don’t have/use autocorrect on the device they’re using to post.

Jul 29, 2020

Question,

What can other people see and not see when they click on your profile at this time?

Satch

Jul 29, 2020

A "Quick Print" option for topics that are helpful or marked "solutions" would be cool!

@Satch,

Thanks! I did mark your post as "Accepted Answer" (replaces solutions), and the answer gets floated to the top, as well as listed under "New Answers" on the side.

edited Jul 31 2020 Jul 29, 2020

More time to edit posts could be handy if, for example, users made a typo that they didn’t catch immediately or within the one hour limit. This would benefit those who don’t have/use autocorrect on the device they’re using to post.

@Joey1986,

Thanks, we will consider this. In the meantime, there is also a built in spell checker that gives a red squiggle under the word. Right click for suggested revisions, similar to using Word or email. 😉

Update 7/31: We increased the edit time to 4 hours. Thanks for the feedback!

Jul 29, 2020

What can other people see and not see when they click on your profile at this time?

@Satch,

On your profile, others can see your avatar, when you joined, your badges, number of discussions, comments, reactions, and which discussions you've commented. Think of "Discussions" as the same as Posts or Threads. For privacy, your email and IP address will be hidden, but you can see your own.

You can also create "Activity Posts" that will show up under "Community Activity". One of the cool features is that members earn points for badges and reactions, as well as answering questions. I added a link to Community Activity that you might want to check out (spoiler: you are currently leading with points).

James

Jul 29, 2020

Great feedback so far, everyone! I am thrilled to see the questions, keep them coming!

edited Jul 30 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Blarggh.... just posted multiple times to the same thread in watch.spectrum section.

Was not seeing the tiny like 2 second popup that my post would appear once it was approved. Not exaggerating on the tiny bit either--the font was smaller than the text I am typing in this box.

I understand why forums want to moderate posts in some venues before they are displayed... not sure why that just started happening just now though (perhaps too many posts per x amount of time?).

If this will be a thing going forward... perhaps we need a better way of letting people know about the delay so we don't see that mistake more often... potential to complicate the approval process. Perhaps an actual in-page notice and not a VERY brief and small pop up off to the left of the message box.

Again.... this was on mobile (Android, Samsung browser to be more precise). IDK if the QA guys are testing against such an environment or not. If not, they may want to start... mobile is a pretty popular environment for forum usage.

Blarggh.... just posted multiple times to the same thread in watch.spectrum section.

@RAIST5150 ,

Thanks! I left the posts in the original discussion so we can investigate. On initial look, it appears that the messages went to the spam queue for multiple posts with the same or similar content. I will also ask about the brief message pop-up.

To prevent this from happening for you, I marked you as verified, and bypassed the spam control for your profile.

Quick follow-up question: Did you intend to or accidentally post multiple times? For example was there a lag or some other delay leading you to think the comment did not post? I just want to make sure there is not a glitch that causes one comment to post multiple times and end up in spam.

Thanks again!

James

Yeah, wifi gets flakey at the edges during storms, so didn't know if it just wasn't going through.

Reloaded the page to see if it posted, and it hadn't. The reply box repopulated with the message still in there, so I resubmitted.

Then I logged out and back in... did it again.

Closed the browser, switched to Firefox... did it again!

Think that was when I finally noticed something popped up but didn't catch the message. Went back to Samsung and watched for that popup to see what the text actually was.

Ah... the growing pains of new software!

@RAIST5150,

That's a perfect description, exactly what I was looking for so we can investigate. Thanks!

• Jim2413Jim2413 Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Jul 30, 2020

I like that it very easy to find topics and find answers. Great that it is under Spectrum, as I am a new Spectrum customer and could not find the forum and found it located under TWC. So I like it very much it was moved, good job!

I like that it very easy to find topics and find answers. Great that it is under Spectrum, as I am a new Spectrum customer and could not find the forum and found it located under TWC. So I like it very much it was moved, good job!

@Jim2413,

We appreciate the feedback and thanks for choosing Spectrum! Keep us in mind any time you need assistance. There are a great group of people here that can help resolve many common issues.

James

• AntDudeAntDude Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Jul 30, 2020

It's not bad so far. It would be nice if we could upload our own avatar images instead of using its defaults. Is there no manual subscribe and unsubscribe forum thread options in https://community.spectrum.net/? After copying and pasting with URLs still hyperlink like this example. :(

Jul 31, 2020

It's not bad so far. It would be nice if we could upload our own avatar images instead of using its defaults. Is there no manual subscribe and unsubscribe forum thread options in https://community.spectrum.net/? After copying and pasting with URLs still hyperlink like this example. :(

Hi @AntDude,

Thanks! There is a bookmark icon (yellow star, upper right) that you can select / deselect and you can view bookmarked discussions from the "My Bookmarks" link under "Quick Links". For URLs, you can also embed them by highlighting text in the body of a question or reply, then right clicking, and selecting the chain icon, then pasting the URL in the text box.

James

Jul 31, 2020

Hey All,

We should keep any uploaded attachments hidden to other forum users until they have been approved by staff to make sure that there is no sensitive account or user information in the attachments and that they are safe to view.

This was one of the last changes that we made at the old forum and it is an excellent security measure!

Satch

Jul 31, 2020

I noticed the new forum doesn't auto log me out. It should do that like when I restart my web browser.

edited Jul 31 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Hey All,

We should keep any uploaded attachments hidden to other forum users until they have been approved by staff to make sure that there is no sensitive account or user information in the attachments and that they are safe to view.

This was one of the last changes that we made at the old forum and it is an excellent security measure!

Satch

Thanks @Satch !

Image based moderation is currently not available. As a work around, I added a reminder pop-up to "Ask a Question". Let's see if this does the trick. Also, if you should see any content that is questionable for any reason, you can select "Flag", explain the issue and "Send Report". The post will be hidden until it is moderated.

Let me know your thoughts.

James

edited Jul 31 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Hey,

Is there an easy way to quote posts using the new forum software? If not, that should be added. I used it on the old forum almost all the time to help in responses. Now it seems I have to highlight the text, hit the little quote icon next to our user ID, select the text to copy find the quote options, and than paste the text into the quote field.. In the meantime, we should post the steps on the long way to quote text. There might be a short way to quote text, but I haven't found it yet! LOL!

A lot of extra steps. If we can, we should add a one button, select text to quote, hit quote button and done!

Satch

Aug 01, 2020

Ditto on quote issue. :(