Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Intermittent Pixelation on various channels

jlh49jlh49 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Jul 29, 2020

For the past several weeks, I have been seeing intermittent pixelation on various cable channels. The pixelation lasts for a few seconds and the audio will stutter. I have a DVR and one cable box and the TVs on both boxes are showing the same problem. If I look at the diagnostics in the boxes, they show good signal levels (0 db mv) and good SNR (39 to 40 db). There are days when I don't see the problem and other days when the picture is almost unwatchable. I've had no problems with the internet or streaming channels. When I called Spectrum support, the technician said that my cable drop needed to be replaced. We have underground wiring, so replacing the drop is a little more involved. Before I have the drop replaced, I'd like to ask if anyone has had this problem and was it resolved by changing an underground cable drop?

Accepted Answers

Replies

• jlh49jlh49 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    Jul 31, 2020

Hello,

Are you referring to the internet modem? I have an Arris SB6141 modem (my own). Or, are you referring to logs in the set top boxes? (I'm not familiar with how to obtain logs from these units.) The signal levels in the internet modem look good (+/- a few db mv around 0 db mv.) The only log I see in the modem is one that shows the times and dates of specific events (signal loss, reboots, etc.). The internet connection seems to be pretty stable; the problems I'm seeing appear to be only with the set top boxes.

The numbers I am getting from the set top boxes are from the pages that come up on the TV screen when you enter the box diagnostics from the "settings" menu.

If you can give me a procedure, I will be happy to supply the information.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 03, 2020

Hello James,

Sorry for the delay. Attached please find a screenshot of the modem signal levels.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    Aug 08, 2020

Thanks!

What speeds are you subscribed to and do you regularly see those speeds? How long had the modem been online for that screen shot? I would like to take a look at the logs as well as that page again after some up-time. See what the FEC reads then. That would give us a better idea if there is ingress on the line.

Pixelation is almost always a symptom of signal issues, ingress or the like. I suspect a new drop will probably be the solution.

Julia_R

Aug 10, 2020

Hello,

We have 100 meg internet service. Typically we see those speeds. I'm not sure how long the modem had been online for the screen shot. It appears to reboot itself every few days.

Unfortunately, I can't get at the modem web page without disconnecting it from the router and connecting the modem directly to the PC. I have to reboot the modem to get it to connect to the PC; so the signal levels are going to be read after very little uptime. (I used to be able to access the modem through the router at 192.168.100.1, but after a router software update, I am no longer able to do that.)

You're probably correct about the new drop being the solution. I've noticed that a few houses in our neighborhood have gotten new drops recently. (You see the orange coax run across lawns until it is buried.)

I will probably arrange for a technician to visit in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 12, 2020

Good morning @jlh49

Let us know how that goes!

Julia_R

Aug 19, 2020

I haven't had the technician out yet, but for a few days now, I am randomly seeing a black screen with the words "Please Wait" in the center. If I scroll up or down to the next channel, that channel appears normally. I can then scroll back to the original channel and it will be there again. This happened twice in about 10 minutes one evening and just once the next evening. Is this also related to signal issues?

Aug 19, 2020

Good morning @jlh49 That type of symptom is normally connectivity related.

Julia_R

This discussion has been closed.