Why does your system tell me I am away from home when I am on my home computer?

SteveT_75SteveT_75 Posts: 2 ✭✭
in watch.spectrum.net Jul 30, 2020

Your page tells me I am away from home when I am on my home computer and accessing the internet through a Spectrum modem. Spectrum TV limits my viewing options as a result.

Replies

• LGTLGT Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 30, 2020

There is only one thing you can personally do to try to resolve this yourself. Unplug your cable modem, your router (if they are separate devices) and any cable boxes you have. Wait for a minute and then begin restarting them. Plug in the Cable modem first and let it restart completely . Next plug in the router and let it restart completely (if they are combined this is one step) Finally let your cable boxes restart. Sometimes this will fix this problem. Forgive me if you have already tried this, but this is the standard first step.

If this does not fix the problem, you are probably going to have to contact Spectrum, in which case they most likely will have you do the same thing. But then you can start to have them look into the problem.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 30, 2020

Geolocation may have gotten thrown out of whack temporarily. Seen some reports of brief outages tonight... some weird re-routing may have taken place that is throwing a wrench in things. May be able to verify this at myip.ms... check if the location section is correct. If it is correct there, something on your device may be blocking location data--some browsers may have their own settings for this (like Firefox) that gets in the way even if the services are running at the operating system level.

Otherwise....

Have you tried powering down the modem and/or cable boxes for at least 5 minutes? Not just a power off if they have that option, but pulling the power plug on them.

If after doing this to flush their cached data, you could also try resetting the modem to defaults. Will take a little extra time for the reboot.

If neither approach works, than you should probably call it in to verify at least the hardware is getting identified properly by their system.

Jul 30, 2020

Geolocation may have gotten thrown out of whack temporarily. Seen some reports of brief outages tonight... some weird re-routing may have taken place that is throwing a wrench in things. May be able to verify this at myip.ms... check if the location section is correct. If it is correct there, something on your device may be blocking location data--some browsers may have their own settings for this (like Firefox) that gets in the way even if the services are running at the operating system level.

Otherwise....

Have you tried powering down the modem and/or cable boxes for at least 5 minutes? Not just a power off if they have that option, but pulling the power plug on them.

If after doing this to flush their cached data, you could also try resetting the modem to defaults. Will take a little extra time for the reboot.

If neither approach works, than you should probably call it in.

• SteveT_75SteveT_75 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Jul 30, 2020

@RAIST5150  Thanks for your reply. I have done all that you suggested and the problem remains.

Jul 30, 2020

May need to call it in then. An issue may have cropped up with authentication that needs to get addressed from their end.

There has been a recent round of maintenance/upgrades in various markets as well as some weirdness from the storms lately (yay hurricane season!). So they could probably use a little help tracking down where things have gone off the rails. The more calls they get, the faster they can home in on downed hardware/software issues.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 31, 2020

If you are a former TWC customer in the Great Lakes region, individual internet account geolocation was disrupted several months ago and has received no attention from technical management.

This discussion has been closed.