Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

DVR Shows are listed as (Title Unavailable) and do not record.

AmyMaryAmyMary Posts: 5 ✭✭
in TV Equipment Aug 01, 2020

I noticed my DVR didn't record a show I watch so I went to see what happened. Under "Series Priority" more than half of my shows are listed as (Title Unavailable). And those are the shows that are obviously not recording. Is there a way to either:

A. reboot something that makes those shows to list their name again

or

B. get a list of the shows I had on there so I can re-setup shows I am missing and to delete the listing that says (Title Unavailable)?

I have tried rebooting, unplugging, I downloaded the app to see if I could connect somehow and nothing worked. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,636 helper
    Aug 04, 2020

Greetings,

What is the show or series that you are trying to record? Sometimes what happens is that if Gracenote, (the company that does the listings for Spectrum) changes any part of a listing in an update, which can happen overnight between 12am-6am, that shows title will not record. For example if a show was called " The Amazing Cooks" and Gracenote changes the listing to "Amazing Cooks." ALL of the shows set to record "Amazing Cooks" will not record because of the name change.

Search database corruption can also be the reason, This can happen from time to time. All that can be done, is delete the show or series and than rescheduling it, by finding it in the search, which should now have the new data.

Satch

• AmyMaryAmyMary Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Aug 05, 2020

I have 67 shows that record throughout the year on the DVR. 38 of them are showing up as "(Title Unavailable)". I've figured out the names of a few of them that are missing by just wracking my brain, but not all 38. Of those I've remembered, none of them have changed their names. Is there a way to delete the ones that say (Title Unavailable) while on this "series priority" list, or some other list on the DVR? Or do you have to search each show and then go from there? Is there a way to do a complete reset so that I can set up all 67 shows fresh?

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,189 Lead Mod
    Aug 06, 2020

@amykids9

You indicated that sometimes a reboot restores some of the titles temporarily?

If you are not using one of the new World boxes( model 201 or 210) when you view the recorded programs through the App do you see the titles?

Julia R

Aug 06, 2020

Not sure if that reply was for me?

I was wondering if there was any kind of reboot I could do to restore the titles. I've pushed the button on the front and rebooted it that way numerous times and it does not help, the titles are still gone. I downloaded the app and it didn't show ANY information from either DVR I have. I ended up deleting the app because it was essentially useless because it showed my login and account info, but no shows, no recordings or anything else.

Aug 06, 2020

Hi AmyMary,

My experience is that if you reboot more than twice to see if the issue is resolved and it is still not resolved, than a reboot will not fix this. This sounds like a listing database error with the new Spectrum Guide on the World Boxes. I agree that it is too hard to go back to recall a "Title Unavailable" show list for over a year's period of time for 38 out of 67 shows.

@James_M or @Julia_R is this a known listings bug issue for Spectrum 200 and Spectrum 2010 World Boxes running Spectrum Guide? Does Gracenote do the listing data for Spectrum Guide on the World Boxes, like they do for ODN?

Satch

Aug 07, 2020

@AmyMary I apologize I understood that a reboot temporarily restored the titles.

I have not heard of this issue previously and was not able to locate anything about that problem.

Do you by chance have more than one DVR? If so do you see this symptom on both or all?

Julia R

edited Aug 7 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Greetings, @AmyMary ,

So the information that I gather is that a reboot did not restore the titles of the 38 "Title Unavailable" shows. Some ideas to try and questions:

1.) I also share @Julia_R 's question do you have more than one DVR and can you re-produce the "Title Unavailable" symptom on the second box and what is the make and model of the second box?

2.) When you select a "Title Unavailable" show, does it play at all? If it does not play, post a screenshot of what you are seeing on the DVR when you try to play a "Title Unavailable" show. This could be valuable information.

3.) I would recommend trying an experiment with us for the next week or so, try to remember the name of a show or series that shows the "Title Unavailable" message and this time, set up a FRESH recording of that show or series to record. By fresh I mean that you find the show in search or in the Time Grid and set it up to record. Do this with maybe three shows. I would recommend making at least one of those three shows a series and two separate shows. Let's say one series and two movies.

4.) Write down the names of the three shows or series that you are doing for this test for the next week or so and report the names of the shows and series that you have chosen to test on the forum. Save this data on your PC or device for reference. Please indicate the following in the "show test."

4a.) The name of the show or series

4b.) The channel number AND name of the station on which you are testing the three shows

4c) Your filters that you have selected on your Spectrum Guide World Box to record the shows or series. This is another area where screen shots will help.

5.) With this information and three show test, our community will begin to monitor how your DVR responds to the shows in your three show test.

6.) If over the next week or so, your shows in your three show test record fine, I would suspect that at some point over the past year, there was a database error or system update and the "Title Unavailable" error is going to be there for your duration of having this DVR. But at least your "new shows" will have been recorded.

7.) If however you are getting "Title Unavailable" with your three show weekly test, we would have to dispatch a tech to do a signal and drop line test. To do this test you would avoid rebooting any boxes, modems, or routers, for at least six hours prior to your service appointment time, to avoid a reset of your error codes. I do not have Spectrum Guide but I have Spectrum's other popular ODN Guide on a Cisco 9865 DVR. Three years ago we were getting "Title Unavailable Messages" from time to time on our box. Tech came out, his signal reading showed that our main line was almost dead. He did a complete rewire of the house, and the DVR has not missed a recording since.. It is important that when you set up your signal and drop line test to not reboot any equipment for six hours, because doing so will reset the error codes that the tech reads on his signal meter back to zero and the tech won't see a problem when there is a problem. New boxes will NEVER solve bad signal levels. Only replacing cable lines, removing splitters, and resolving problems at the head-end will do that. If this weekly test of three shows or series produces new "Title Unavailable" messages, step #7 is really going to be mandatory for you.

8.) Finally, please list your city, state, and zip, so that we know your location.

Satch

Aug 08, 2020

Hi all thank you for your help!

We do have 2 DVR's and they are both the same kind of box. Only one is experiencing this issue. The other one is fine and has no shows listed as (Title Unavailable), and records all it's shows like clockwork.

Where I am seeing the shows listed as (Title Unavailable) is in the "Series Priority" list that on the left side of the screen when you push the DVR button on the remote to get to the My DVR screen. As far as I can tell, the only action you can do to those shows on the Series Priority list is to select them and move them up and down in the list. You can't view the info about the show or anything. The series that are listed as title unavailable do not record at all, so they don't show up under recordings. I found this issue was happening by realizing my series "The Murder Tapes" did not record for a month or so. So I went to a listing of the show in the guide, and tried to set a series recording (thinking it may have just disappeared for some reason) and it indicated it was already set up as a series recording. So I went to the "Series Priority" list to see if it was there, as it's the only place I have found thus far to see a list of all the shows I watch. That's when I noticed 38 shows were listed as (Title Unavailable)- that's the picture I included in my first post. I went back to the guide and tried to set up a single episode recording, and come Tuesday it did not record. Unfortunately, The Murder Tapes has ended it's season and there aren't any future episodes scheduled, so I can't try the experiment with that show. I went through my handwritten list of shows that I complied from memory after this happened, and there aren't any shows I watch that are currently airing that I could use for the 3 show experiment, I suspect that may be contributing to the problem, these shows are not in the guide listings because they're on hiatus.

I finally had the time to call Spectrum, and I did get a hold of a customer service person over the phone yesterday. After a bunch of resets, sent signals and her navigating me through to "reset data" nothing resolved the issue. After a bit of searching, she found that my issue is a known issue, and that it is being worked on. She told me I had two options: 1. to wait and see if it is resolved when the issue is fixed, or 2. to swap out my box.

This evening I went through the series priority list and compared it to my handwritten memory list and now the DVR shows I have 66 shows, and 35 are listed as title unavailable. So I compared titles to my handwritten list and now 1 show has reappeared, one completely deleted itself and 3 ones previously still there are now listed as Title Unavailable, and I am so confused. Since I can only remember about 30 of 35 shows that are missing, I think swapping out and starting with a fresh box is my only option, especially as the missing title keep changing! I don't know how long I will have to wait till the known issue is fixed, and I would like to know that shows will be recorded. I do not think it's a line/bad signal issue as our other box records perfectly and hasn't had any problems. Thank you all for your help!

Aug 08, 2020

"It seams yes that we can rule out signal issues, because your second box works like clockwork."

I would respectfully disagree here. There could be an issue with a splitter, with the wall outlet if she is not using a splitter, a damaged or connection to that box, or a damaged coax which is just causing issues with that location.. One thing I can suggest to test that would be to swap those DVRs locations. Reboot the affected box in the other location and see if those titles are restored. If so we know it is an outlet/location issue and not a box issue. If you still have the same issue with the box I would recommend swapping that out.

Julia_R

Aug 08, 2020

I would respectfully disagree here. There could be an issue with a splitter, with the wall outlet if she is not using a splitter, a damaged or connection to that box, or a damaged coax which is just causing issues with that location.. One thing I can suggest to test that would be to swap those DVRs locations. Reboot the affected box in the other location and see if those titles are restored. If so we know it is an outlet/location issue and not a box issue. If you still have the same issue with the box I would recommend swapping that out.

Good point Julia,

The DVR swap location is a good idea to test. I would also expand on that to get a tech out to check the outlet that is connected to the problematic "Title Unavailable" box and would also look at getting a new HDMI cable so we can have the tech check the wiring and outlet of that whole area where the "Recurring Title Unavailable" box is located. When you set up a service call for this, I would recommend a signal and drop line test on the work order. We have to make sure that the wall outlet, cable wiring, connections and the drop to the TV and box are OK. If they are not OK. a swapped box is going to do the same thing, Get a tech out to check the area where the problematic DVR is located, Remember, don't reboot anything for at least six hours, (boxes, modems, and routers) so that the tech gets an accurate error code reading on his meter. Reboots of equipment set the error codes back to zero and if the error codes are at zero, the tech won't see the problem data.

If the signals are good, the drop line is good, the outlet is good, and there are no splitters impeding signal strength, than the box will need to be swapped. But get a tech out first to check the whole wiring and location associated with the DVR and do the signal drop line test,

Satch

Today

Good idea on swapping locations. I will try that before I go to the trouble to swap boxes at the office! Thanks! I'll let you know what happens. :)