Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Internet been going out for sometimes for unknown reasons (Unsure if its related to outage)

Ghostie21Ghostie21 Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited Aug 1 2020 in Connectivity Aug 01, 2020

In one day alone and few days back, I've been getting TLV-11, DS profile assignment change, T4 time outs, T3 time-outs, ill try my best to post modem logs. My modem is the Netgear CM1000 (Approved up to 400mbps plan)

Modem logs (ive read in another post that it isn't required to cover parts of the modem logs, i'll post the original photo if needed to help troubleshoot)

and Signal levels: (which are great, no issues there, attenuator does its job pretty well)

As a background of wiring, using as follows:

• 6db Attenuator Pad (Supplied by Spectrum technician)
  • Antronix Filter, GLF-1002 MoCA "POE" Filter (installed by Coaxial Wall Plate, tech said its good to use)
  • line at home is RG6 (Tech did speed tests max output was 1.2 gbps down and 45 up)

Overall im not sure whats causing it, ive also swapped my modem recently with a replacement (same model), unsure what are my next steps, also as older posts from old TWC forums, im aware of the uncorrectable, which im trying to get that fixed, but just told it could be the node or noise, but i can tell you uncorrectable have been going as far back as 2018 just to note.

On the side note: ive been given different opinions on uncorrectables, i was told that if under 00000.3% uncorrectables compared to correctables, or it could be congestion by node (speeds are normal, even during peak hours) its normal and shouldn't be an issue, I kind of need a real answer this, I'm just unsure what are my options for now. Thanks!

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 2 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Curious why they wanted to attenuate the line.... 6 db would not put you out of range on downstream. Especially on a Netgear... they are usually pretty good at handling downstream levels up to around +12db. Looks like it is having to ramp up the upstream power a bit as well.

Unless it is an issue with other devices on the line (home phone or cable boxes), can't help but wonder if you would be just fine without the attenuation, possibly even better?

Also curios about the MoCA filter? Are you using a whole house DVR or something else using MoCA adaptors in the house? Even the Hollands note that you may see anywhere up to 1.5db losses in the sub 1000mhz range used in the CATV spectrum. Just asking to understand why the filter was installed is all.

Everytime you have a junction in a coax run there exists the potential for injecting issues, be that slight insertion losses or reflections that need enough extra cable length for mitigation. Just wondering if any of those extra devices are actually warranted in your situation.

• Ghostie21Ghostie21 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Aug 02, 2020

That's a really good question, never really considered that, without the Attenuator, its would hit close to 8-10db in multiple channels. Im guessing the tech added it, to help lower power levels a bit. Usually goes around 0.1-3db of power depending on time of day. Here's without the Attenuator (compared to the one on top of post) I just have one cable active, i use T Mobile Linelink as home phone box (which uses enternet cable for service) but their in a another room.

As for the MOCA filter, i was told that it would be a good idea so my line doesn't leak to other neighbors homes like if they use a DVR/TV service. Without it still getting uncorrectables, i did had it installed by the demarc line (cable box before the line splits), but long story short, was told to remove it and was even written a note on the account and threatened a fine (which never happened, but later in the day, a Field OP came to my house to help address the issue, he even gave me his contact info if the uncorrectables keep happening, help clear things up since due to confusion)

Only issue i have is the uncorrectables, line was check and its clean, meaning that a line in my neighborhood would be leaking a bit, even I'm not sure myself since its difficult it track even if you know what time it occurs, usually during peak hours.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 02, 2020

I agree with @RAIST5150 that both the 6 dB pad and the MOCA filter are unwanted. They are not the cause of the T3 or T4 extended downstream channel dropouts that reset your internet modem. Your signal levels will be fine without them in the line.

The large number of both corrected and uncorrectible frame errors suggests that cable connectors upstream are loose, subject to both wind and traffic vibrations, and that CAN cause T3 and T4 signal troubles.

Aug 03, 2020

Most of spectrums wiring here is underground, and area is pretty quiet, very little traffic, we just had a our line (from tap to demark line) replaced around late 2018, due to the old one running out of length and age. Should I remove the Pad and MOCA filter since their aren't necessary? I know that 0.0 db is the sweet spot for connections or close to it as possible. i'll try checking if any connections are loose and restart them modem and monitor the uncorrectable for now.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 3 2020 Aug 03, 2020

I fear some strange noise is creeping in somehow... possibly a hum of sorts in a specific frequency range. The question is where/what is causing it. Could be something as bizarre as a poor power supply... who knows. With 9 and 10 db downstream levels, would expect SNR to be above 42, possibly even 43 on a "clean" line.

edited Aug 4 2020 Aug 04, 2020

That’s really good observation, not really experienced with signal levels, and little details (mostly build gaming PCs for living), it’s usual that spectrum for me, they blame it was my modem which wasn’t after 2 different replacement units and even had their own modem at one point. I’ll try to emailing or calling my local Field OP supervisor about the findings, uncorrectable may seem small, but if can cause issues down the line. I’m trying to avoid calling CS since only thing they can do is call field techs, they had seen the uncorrectable and don’t want to waste their time, they were really nice people. (Except I had bad experience with his supervisor and didn’t understood the situation at all (oversight, etc), why I got the field ops to come to my house later that day and gave me his card if the uncorrectables keep occurring ) My area used to be a TWC before the merger.