Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Any update on native IPv6 DNS servers?

HomeAdminHomeAdmin Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
in Home Networking Aug 02, 2020

Any news on native IPv6 DNS servers? Spectrum never had any IPv6 DNS servers and it would be nice to have full IPv6 connectivity without relying on IPv4.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2 Aug 02, 2020

They use dual-stack. They kinda have to until everyone out there goes full IPv6.

North America and Asia are only around 50% there, most everyone else is considerably behind... so much so that as a world only about 1/3 are actively supporting it.

https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6

• HomeAdminHomeAdmin Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Aug 03, 2020

I already know they have dual-stack, I have been using IPv6 for more than five years, but they do not have native IPv6 DNS servers, its not a complete implementation yet.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3 Aug 03, 2020

And likely won't see it change until those previously linked APNIC stats change dramatically.

Again, roughly half of North America and Asia actively prefer v6... and those are the top 2 in the world. As a whole, less than 1/3 of the world are actively running it (actually only close to 1/4 prefer it).

We will likely be in mixed mode until those adoption rates improve significantly.

• HomeAdminHomeAdmin Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Aug 08, 2020

My question is about IPv6 dns servers, it has nothing to do with dual stack. They can be mixed and work together, my question was they should also have their IPv6 dns servers working too so that queries can be done over IPv6 too.

This discussion has been closed.