Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Constant T3/T4 Timeouts, kicking me off VPN for work 3 or 4 times an hour.

btoshbtosh Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
edited August 21 in Connectivity Aug 04, 2020

Hello,

Over the past few months i have had 7? different techs out to check my network. I replaced the provided router/modem setup with my own MOTOROLA MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and ASUS RT-AC86U Dual-Band Wireless Router.

I have been told that the signal coming into the house is way too strong and have had dampeners and splitters put up to get the levels more in line (which they are, i will post below). The service tech that came out this morning sang the same song of the line coming into the house being to strong, replaced the dampeners with one massive splitter, reset everything and went on to the next customer. it ran fine for about 30 minutes until a i started to get the following errors:

I have done a lot of research on this issue in your forums and around the internet (reddit, other ISP forums) and it is in my educated opinion that the levels being within range and still getting these critical errors is an issue with the line coming into the house or the box/pole for our neighborhood. we live in an area with a lot of older / retired couples who i assume wouldnt notice constant drops like this.

here are the levels as they stand currently:

any help to resolve this issue would be much appreciated. I am confident its not a problem with the hardware inside the house since multiple techs have come out and verified everything is running fine once dampeners / splitters are in place

Replies

• btoshbtosh Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    Aug 04, 2020

here is a ping plotter of the last hour or so:

Aug 04, 2020

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                   WinMTR statistics                  |

|            Host       -  % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|              RT-AC86U-4500 -  0 | 163 | 163 |  0 |  0 |  0 |  0 |

|      cpe-76-92-224-1.kc.res.rr.com -  2 | 156 | 154 |  3 |  18 | 101 |  15 |

|     tge0-0-12.ovpmks4801h.kc.rr.com -  0 | 163 | 163 |  11 |  79 | 638 | 160 |

|       agg31.ksczmogn01r.kc.rr.com -  21 |  88 |  70 |  0 |  16 |  42 |  10 |

|       agg36.dllatxl301r.kc.rr.com -  0 | 163 | 163 |  17 |  31 |  77 |  31 |

|bu-ether14.dllstx976iw-bcr00.tbone.rr.com -  1 | 160 | 159 |  16 |  29 |  69 |  23 |

|              72.14.218.12 -  1 | 160 | 159 |  15 |  28 |  72 |  24 |

|             108.170.225.174 -  1 | 160 | 159 |  17 |  29 |  59 |  25 |

|              209.85.244.61 -  0 | 163 | 163 |  16 |  28 |  74 |  30 |

|        dfw25s34-in-f4.1e100.net -  1 | 160 | 159 |  16 |  28 |  72 |  25 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

results from WinMTR

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4 Aug 04, 2020

WTH is up with the OFDM channel??!! 15.4 SNR??!!

That does NOT look good.

The swing from around 3.5db to almost 9db looks a bit off too.

Upstream levels settling at 43 is a bit unusual too... used to seeing them settle in around 45/46.

It looks a bit suspicious in general.... like either they have ramped up the gains or put a drop amp in play somewhere, and things just are not "tuned" well because of it.

That OFDM getting stuck so close to the noise floor is just not right... and likely down right unusable like that. Just look at the error rate.

If you are not on the gig tier, you might fair better using a standard DOCSIS 3.0 24 or 32 channel modem (basically one without OFDM support).

While 32 channels can still theoretically support up to 960 or so... that depends a lot on the level of congestion/noise and such. Might be worth downgrading until they get things sorted..

Aug 04, 2020

Should i just switch back to their provided modem? the problems started with their modem initially

Aug 04, 2020

heres some more

That does not look like something a modem swap would fix, as it appears to be a signal quality issue.

The exception being whether it tries to use the OFDM channel. The levels on 1-32 appear to be serviceable, so if you can get isolated to just those downstream it may get you up and running.

Another thing you may want to keep an eye on is the upstream channel power levels. If you see them creeping higher, that could be signs of noise issues. If it gets to 50+ it can lead to an automatic reboot.

Aug 04, 2020

how would i go about fixing the signal quality issue? is this something i can fix on my end with some research?

Unless it is a cabling/splitter/other devices issue you can remedy... not really.

It could very well be something with the equipment upstream from your modem. There should always be at mimimum about 25db difference between signal and noise. What is serviceable can vary based on different factors, but the midpoint of the curve out there typically rests between 35 and 40, and runs a range of roughly 20db (+/- 10 from there). Basically, we like to see SNR over 37 in most cases.

15.4 doesn't cut it.

Of course, there is the option of downgrading service. Not ideal, but it is an option.

Aug 04, 2020

I don't want to downgrade the service. Since I've had multiple techs out to troubleshoot the issue to no avail i am at a loss on what to do about getting this corrected. any input would be extremely helpful

Unfortunately these kinds of things can take a while to get proper escalation. It has to go through the lower tier first and get bumped up to the next tier and such. Getting it escalated often boils down to good documentation for them to review.

You've already provided some documentation the community team may be able to run up the flagpole for someone to look more closely at things. They may reach out for you to communicate with them through social media or some form of more direct communication if needed.

If you are inclined, you could try to get similar snapshots with as direct a line to source as you can reasonably get for a good compare/contrast, and post those signal logs and all as well. It is uncanny how much a difference just bypassing a splitter can make sometimes.

I have run my own line through the attic twice in 20 years... first because of old rg59 in the walls, second time to prove it wasn't my line. But I am setup in a way that makes that stupid easy to do. Kinda takes the wind out of the "customer owned" types of responses though when we hook their equipment and my modem up in the utility room where their drop comes in, and then at the other end of the 70 foot run and the only significant variance is the expected signal drop for about 75 feet of RG6. Kinda hard to blame anything in the house at that point. :)

Aug 04, 2020

so get a snapshot of my computer hardwired directly to the modem and remove all splitters? do you think doing a factory reset of the Motorola MB8600 would fix any issues before going further?

Aug 04, 2020

its not really working at all now:

No, talking about removing/bypassing any modifications along the coax between where their line enters the home and the modem--maybe even go as far as hooking the modem up right there off their grounding block if you want to go all out. The signal levels and error logs are about what is happening across this coax and the fiber networks on that side of the modem, not your side of the modem.

Basically trying to get a snapshot with as little impedance as possible along the coax. If there is significant change in performance/reliability then you can pull back in splitters, extra cable runs, etc. one by one so you can identify where significant degradation is occurring.

Remember... you had these issues with their modem, which you swapped out. So it is more likely something occurring seperate from the modem... along the coax or further up. The fact your signal log shows questionable signal quality backs that up. The question is whether that is within your walls, or outside the home.

Aug 04, 2020

i guess i could do that. i called the service line and was able to talk to someone. They told me everything looked good on their end? as packets where being lost on my end. ill connect it straight the grounding block if a service tech doesn't get back with me this afternoon and i'll post the results.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,287 Lead Mod
    Aug 06, 2020

@btosh

Any news? Improvement?

We look forward to hearing from you. Hope not seeing you means things are running smoothly!

Julia R

Aug 06, 2020

@Julia_R

We had another Tech out yesterday, i believe he was a higher level than the last few we had out. Before he even got into the house he said that the ingress for everyone in our neighborhood was way out of wack, a ton of noise and degradation of signal but that everything else was fine. Then he pulled up our connectivity log and showed me every time we had a t3 time out due to the ingress in the pats 24 hours, explained what had to be done, called his dispatch supervisor and escalated our ticket to critical. I've noticed a few bucket trucks in our neighborhood this morning and was told this would all be resolved within 48 hours. Apparently the problem was coming from the spectrum line INTO the neighborhood and there was really nothing to be done with our connection at the house.

i hope this finally fixes all the issues we have been having!

Aug 06, 2020

I hope so also!

Are you seeing anything nefarious in the modem logs today?

Julia R

Aug 06, 2020

higher than usual uncorrected errors but nothing today so far. fingers crossed

Aug 06, 2020

@btosh

No Logs today is definite progress!

With that amount of correcteds and uncorrectables it would be ideal to see the total number of codewords. The % would be telling.

Julia R

Aug 06, 2020

that is the total number on the first picture

Aug 06, 2020

Glad to see it got escalated to higher tiers. Should see some progress soon. Still a lot of noise on the OFDM, but at least it is not locking that for primary now.

Would be nice if they are able to address that with what they are doing... that is the channel with the highest throughput potential.

Aug 10, 2020

getting more intermittent disconnects today, kicked off vpn 4 times before noon

Aug 10, 2020

just had another disconnect. here are my google ping logs:

Aug 10, 2020
    edited August 10 Aug 10, 2020

How do the signal levels look? Looks like it may have done a channel reassignment, which sounds like something went south on that front.

Note that part of what they are doing may cause some brief outages if they are cutting in something new.

Aug 10, 2020
    Aug 11, 2020

Looks like the modem had a reset, or at least a reboot... error counts reset to zeroes. May have been a brief physical disconnect while they changed something.

• wizechatmgrwizechatmgr Posts: 1
    edited August 12 Aug 12, 2020

Sounds like they got someone from plant out to work on it. More likely than not there was a bad segment of cable before you.

Sometimes when they fix signal levels at other locations in the line, they screw up your area and they have to come back in and re-balance all the amplifiers. I knew they recently replaced several miles in my area after realizing there were far bigger issues than just my drop.

Since it looks like your in IT, I'd highly recommend setting up a 2nd WAN connection using a different provider type such as 4G/LTE.

Good luck my friend...

This discussion has been closed.