Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

SB6141 - Cannot get more than 60 MBPS

ShadowfaxShadowfax Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 21 in Connectivity Aug 07, 2020

I have a SB6141 modem.

I have the 100 Mbps plan with spectrum, but I can never download faster than 60 Mbps. I never really thought about it until recently and it has been this speed for about 3 years.

This is the same speed on all my devices (phone, laptop, desktop).

I have already tried connecting my laptop directly to the SB6141 modem with an Ethernet cable, but still get the same speed.

I don't know if it is the modem itself or if the line running to the modem is faulty.

I have the modem connected by coaxial cable running into the wall.

The Ethernet cable I used is Cat 5 cable that came with the SB6141 modem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Answers

• ShadowfaxShadowfax Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Aug 07, 2020 Accepted Answer

@Julia_R

I'll try swapping out the modem then and see what happens.

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2020 Accepted Answer

@Julia_R

I swapped the modem with SB8200 which has 32x8 Docsis 3.1.

I'm constantly hitting 100 mbps now!

thanks for the advice!

Replies

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 07, 2020

Spectrum has evaluated the Arris SB6141 modem and approved it to deliver service tiers up to 100 Mbps download. Your local office can verify that your device is correctly provisioned for the 100 Mbps service tier that you are being charged for.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,284 Lead Mod
    Aug 07, 2020

Welcome to the Community!

@Shadowfax I would say that if you are getting 60 on all devices you are most likely provisioned for the 100 but with some sort of connectivity issues.

Can you post your logs and signal levels here? That would really help to get a better Idea of what might be the problem.

Julia R

Aug 07, 2020

@Julia_R

Thank you.

Let me know if the screenshots below help:

Status screen of modem:

Signal Strengths:

Logs:

My only guesses are that the modem needs to be replaced, bandwidth issue with the cables running from cable box outside to inside the house, bandwidth issue with coaxial cable i'm connecting from the wall to the modem.

Would taking the modem to a Spectrum store allow it to be diagnosed there by the employees?

edited August 8 Aug 07, 2020

@Shadowfax No, once the modem is unplugged there would not be any diagnostics to be done.

You can swap out the modem at the store though. Should be able to get one that will bond to additional downstream channels. Do you see a page there that shows the correcteds and uncorrectables? That would give us some extra info to go on.

Julia_R

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 07, 2020

Provided you are not up against a slower wifi link (weak/narrow 2.4ghz band or worse), your modem may not be provisioned correctly. Possible there is a lot of traffic on your node I guess... but with 8 downsteeam channels I would expect you would still periodically see north of 72 on the downside.

As @karlbeckman noted, should probably call it in to clarify how the modem is provisioned. Could be something up in your neighborhood causing them to hold it back (we still have neighborhoods restricted from the free 100 to 200mb upgrade) , or could just be a snafu in the registration they can address over the phone. It also provides an opportunity to try one of their modems as well... possibly one with 16 downstream channels for more headroom to deal with some potential throughput issues.

Aug 08, 2020

@Shadowfax

Let us know your results! Hope you are having a good day!

Julia_R

Aug 12, 2020

Excellent to hear!

Let us know if you see any trouble.

Julia_R