Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Dark Reader add-on for Firefox users

RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 15 in Suggestions & Questions Aug 08, 2020

Handy add-on if you want a dark theme for sites that are not offering it yet. Puts an entry in the 3-dot menu for "Dark Reader" that allows you to mark which sites you want to override to run a dark theme or not, as well as some tweaks for contrast and such.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/darkreader/

Note there are separate versions for the desktop and mobile editions of Firefox. A similar add-on may be available in other browsers as well. So if you want to get away from bright backgrounds, might want to poke around your browser's add-ons.

Here is a magnet page to download this for the big four browsers:

https://darkreader.org/

Comments

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,718 helper
    edited August 8 Aug 08, 2020

Had some problems with it at certain websites and uninstalled the plug in on both Firefox and MS Edge, The specifics are:

It doesn't work well when you log into Microsoft One Drive. (Flashes)

It is confusing to turn on and off for just one site, especially for Edge. So for myself, I will just go back to the way things are, and maybe we can eventually get a Dark Theme on/off Toggle for the Spectrum Forum community. @James_M said that he is looking into this.

Satch

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9 Aug 09, 2020

@Satch

Understandable. And thanks for trying other platforms. I had only used it in Firefox.

It may be something specific to Firefox, but the desktop version has convenient keyboard shortcuts:

Alt-Shift-a toggles the dark mode for the current site

Alt-Shift-d turns the whole thing on/off.

There is also a helmet/goggles icon in the upper right corner that breaks out the settings if I want to tweak contrast, coloring, etc.--which is fun to play with on some sites.

So far it has worked well for me in Firefox. Everyone has different needs though... so always looking for options!

Can see how mobile might get tedious... open Firefox's menu to get to the add-on's settings to save things for each site. But, once set it remembers them and all that. But I can see how that can get frustrating if you have to adjust for a lot of sites.

Keeping it on my phone and laptop for now... haven't run into real issues with sites in Firefox yet that can't be addressed by just turning off dark mode for that site. The Samsung browser (Android 9) is losing some functionality here and there (like not posting post pics here), and Edge has pretty much been reduced to a PDF viewer and managing my work gmail account.

So Firefox is becoming my default browser again... tweaked the crap out of it so it is near full screen natively (no more toggling F11). Almost has a sort of retro bare-bones IE look, I guess?

Will definitely keep an eye out for the site to get it's own dark mode theme, or at least a high contrast one.. That is always a preferred way to go... tends to be snappier than running through add-ons.

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 09, 2020

also good with this is the chrome theme Just Black. I've been using both on Chrome,ChromEdge and Firefox for over a year now

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,272 ADMIN
    Aug 10, 2020

It is confusing to turn on and off for just one site, especially for Edge. So for myself, I will just go back to the way things are, and maybe we can eventually get a Dark Theme on/off Toggle for the Spectrum Forum community. @James_M said that he is looking into this.

Hi @Satch,

Quick followup, there is not currently a plan to add a toggle to the community for dark mode. At this time, you would need to change the settings on your browser or device.

This discussion has been closed.