**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Need a wifi extender compatible with RAC2V1K

ElizabethCElizabethC Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 13 in Internet 2020 Archive Aug 10, 2020

My building upgraded our wifi earlier this year. The signal doesn't reach my bedroom well, and I want to add a range extender. I bought Linksys AC750, but couldn't make it work. After an extended session, Linksys Help told me that the RAC2V1K (which Spectrum provided with the upgrade) is incompatible with a common router standard, and they couldn't help me. I saw a similar thread from 2018 (now closed). Can someone tell me what, if any, wifi extender will work with the RAC2V1K or what feature I need to look for to ensure compatibility? Or do I have to ask Spectrum for a different router?

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 11, 2020

Unless the router is isolated to AX (wifi-6), that rep was probably just giving up. Some brands want to make things more complicated than necessary.

See if you can swap it for a Netgear. Their stuf is usually pretty easy to set up.

• ElizabethCElizabethC Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Aug 11, 2020

The fact that I saw complaints about Netgear extenders also not being compatible makes me think the problem is more general. My phone consultant, who spent 2 hrs with me, said that they had an advisory about this particular router not complying with some standard, there was a numeric code 5xx which I deeply regret not writing down!

Aug 11, 2020

Sometimes it comes down to conflicting roles of the devices... like DHCP, some form of MAC filtering, a security tweak... sometimes even resolved by upgrade/downgrade of firmware or stripping advanced features. For example, issues with the 7000 series Netgears ran into an issue after a firmware update... reverting that update was the temp fix for it back then. IDK if it ever got addressed with the firmware on Spectrum's side though.

TBH, this is one of the main reason why I use my own hardware... having as much control of my devices as possible.

Aug 11, 2020

Yeah, I hear you. But I live in a coop that supplies the service & basic equipment through Spectrum, and I don't have a lot of choice. 😕

Aug 11, 2020

Further mousing around, I find the standard that RAC2V1k is not compatible with is "5260", and it will not work with devices that require this. So, my next question is how do I find an extender that will work with the RAC2V1K?

Aug 12, 2020

RFC5260? That doesn't sound right either, as that is dealing with email stuff.

Got a hit on what sounds like this issue over at TPLink... one of the things on their list to try involves reconfiguring how DHCP is managed locally:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/159613

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Aug 13, 2020

DHCP is provided by the router, not the modem. But I'll fall back to the problems TWC had for years with earlier Apple devices that incorrectly handled device address assigsnments that ended in any single decimal digit 1 thru 9. That fix was to tell the router to begin its DHCP assignments at 11 or higher.. My own preference is to start DHCP at 50 and use 49 or below only for hard-programmed static IPs like video cameras, server boxes, or printers, especially HP WiFi units.

edited August 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Yeah... I always run my local as a different subnet from the modem's.

The TPlink post (as well as a few others) mention some were able to get around it by letting the second router manage the local network's DHCP instead of the first one. Untraditional for sure, but can see the potential for it to work. Curious if it might trip a double-NAT situation for gamers though.

They should at least be able to get it to work as just a simple repeater. That was always a pretty straight forward thing... especially with the simple $30-$50 units you just plug into the wall directly.

Wonder if it isn't the SSID? Don't recall a mention if the OP tried setting a unique ID for the repeated wifi leg (like just sticking _RPT to the end of their ID from the other router)?

For reference, this is the approach I am talking about, from ASUS:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036082/

Aug 13, 2020

Actually, one of the things the Linksys tech that I spent 2 hours on the phone with did was talk me through changing a lot of these things on the Linksys. I'm afraid this is a little beyond my tech level.

Let's get basic: can any of you recommend an extender that will work with the RAC2V1K router, or should I be trying to talk Spectrum into giving me a better behaved router?

This discussion has been closed.