Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

is nicked cable causing connectivity issue?

dcondcon Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Connectivity Aug 23, 2020

I seem to lose connectivity to all devices, including phone, about once per day. I have replaced the gateway with Spectrum's TC8717T, and when that didn't help, I had them reset/update firmware remotely via a phone call. Still happening. Recently I saw in my flower bed near my house connection a place where perhaps a gardening tool may have nicked the cable. Metal is showing and it looks like there is some fraying of the metal shielding. I know it's not ideal, but could it be causing my issues? I will post a pic and a screenshot of my power levels. Any thoughts most appreciated!

Best Answer

Replies

• misterjmisterj Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Aug 23, 2020

dcon, your signal levels and SNRs look fine, but the nick is a serious problem and the cable needs to be replaced ASAP! Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT: It would be useful to see the same screenshot when your lose your service.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Signals look decent on that lower end in the snapshot, but the noise floor may be questionable at the higher end.

Compromised cabling should be addressed regardless... it is important not only to avoid signal leaking/ingress, but also the shape of the waveforms traveling through the cable.

• dcondcon Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    Aug 23, 2020

thank you to @misterj , @RAIST5150 , and @Julia_R for your help. @Julia_R , I appreciate whatever you can do from your side.

This discussion has been closed.