Time on "Watch TV" is one hour ahead on PC

sfeinbesfeinbe Posts: 12 ✭✭✭
in watch.spectrum.net Aug 24, 2020

The time on "Watch TV" is one hour ahead on any channel when using any of my computers; I do NOT stream on my cell phone using an app.

I've noticed this to be true on the following:

-my old Asus motherboard (P4C800-E Deluxe)

-my new Asus mother board (P8B75-V)

-my HP laptop

-my Dell laptop

The time, date, and timezone on all four computers is correct. The time on streaming TV (Watch TV) is one hour ahead on all computers. I spoke to a Spectrum tech who insisted it's my computer (ALL of my computers!) despite the facts I just mentioned. Look at the attached photo of my screen. Spectrum "Watch TV" shows 8:54 AM, while my computer shows 7:54 AM. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 24, 2020

Could be something off with Daylight Savings adjustment or something...

Out of curiosity, is the time in the BIOS also off by one hour?

• sfeinbesfeinbe Posts: 12 ✭✭✭
    Aug 24, 2020

Time in BIOS, on all four computers, is accurate. Daylight savings is turned off. I adjust it manually on all my computers. I did discover that the website time.is also says my clock is one hour ahead. I looked at my router and when I changed the time settings, they reverted back to one hour ahead! So it might be my router. I'll have to investigate further, but I no longer think it's Spectrum or my computers. I've never heard of a problem like this with a router. Wondering if it could be the Spectrum modem, but I don't think the modem keeps time.

Aug 25, 2020

I did further experiments and am left with one conclusion: it's Spectrum.

Here's what I did:

-Replaced the router with another router; same result: one hour ahead

-Disconnected my hardwired-to-router computer and used a laptop via wifi; same result: one hour ahead

The only constant in all this was the modem from Spectrum and Spectrum itself. If anyone has any further ideas, please let give them to me. If it helps, I live in Saginaw, Michigan. If anyone lives in this area and would be willing to go to TIME.IS to see if the time is ahead by one hour, I'd appreciate it.

Aug 25, 2020

Just now did one more experiment: a direct wired connection to the Spectrum supplied modem, no router at all. The result? One hour ahead at TIME.IS. It's Spectrum.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,402 Lead Mod
    Aug 27, 2020

Hello! When you google "what time is it " does it match the computer or the live tv?

Are you using a VPN?

Julia_R

Aug 27, 2020

It matches the time on the computer, which is one hour behind live tv. Not using a VPN.

Aug 27, 2020

I want to make it clear that when I wrote, "One hour ahead at TIME.IS," I meant that TIME.IS had the correct time, the time on my computer, but READS my computer's time AS IF it were one hour ahead...just as Spectrum does. I enclosed a screenshot.

The time shown in large numbers was exactly the time on my computer. However, TIME.IS reads it as if it were one hour ahead, just as Spectrum does. The ONLY way this could happen, after all my experiments, is if Spectrum is causing that one hour shift. ALL of my computers produce the same result.

Aug 27, 2020

Grrr... started wondering if geolocation was off... then noticed time.is detected Saginaw. Time is in synch for me down here in SC, with NY and all.

Though... I wonder if another database may still have it off somehow?

My results at myip.ms tend to keep in synch with Spectrum's, but other lookups sometimes report something different. Might be worth hitting up some geolocation test sites just to see if there is any bizarre variance?

Aug 28, 2020

I went to myip.ms and found it located me accurately at Saginaw, MI. I performed the experiment both through the router and directly through the modem. Geolocation was identical. I find it weird also. I still believe the initial problem is a result of something at Spectrum.

edited August 28 Aug 28, 2020

@sfeinbe

Hmmm... just noticed my modem is actually tracking an hour behind our actual time:

Router is set to Eastern GMT-5, but it still shows correct time even if I change to Atlantic GMT-4... it synchs with ntp.org via pool.ntp.org, adjusting for Daylight Savings.

Curious if you get the correct time bracket at TV guide?

https://www.tvguide.com/listings/

IDK what to think... everything I look at synchs properly according to the time in my OS. I don't use Spectrum for TV anymore, so I can't test against that though.

If everything else in your sphere of apps/sites is also behaving... makes me wonder if it isn't something simply not right with either the Spectrum app/site or some setting in your account data.

Aug 28, 2020

I went to tvguide.com as you suggested. The time bracket is one hour ahead. Which setting do you think it might be? That was an early thought of mine, but I failed to find any setting that would explain this. I normally don't use Spectrum for TV either, but sometimes I do and discovered this anomaly.

edited August 28 Aug 28, 2020

@sfeinbe

Curiouser and curiouser...

Guess we need to confirm it isn't something off at the client.

Have you tested this on a non-Windows platform, like a phone while on cell data versus on your wifi?

Just wondering if it isn't indeed something in a Windoze API throwing things off.

Could try polling one of those through powershell, I guess.

Right-click the Start button. Depending on what options are set, should see an entry for either Command Prompt or Powershell. Powershell is what we want for the query, so if it isn't there click Command Prompt and once it opens just type "powershell" (no quotes) and press enter.

Once at the powershell command line, type the command "get-date" (no quotes) and press enter. If that returns the wrong time stamp, then we may indeed have something off at the Windows level and need to scrape some support forums for that.

Will try to poke around a bit on that Windows front as time permits at work today. Seem to recall a glitch back in Windows 8 with Windows Update that had something to do with time stamps... see if I can find some info about it just in case.

Aug 28, 2020

I'm on Windows 7. I just ran get-date as you suggested and the date was as it should be: the same as the lower right of my screen.

I'll try your idea about using a non-windows platform and using my phone's cell data, then I'll use the wifi. I'll be back when I've done the experiments.

Aug 28, 2020

Aside from being a few seconds off, TIME.IS posted the correct time for the phone whether I was on data or wifi.

Aug 28, 2020

I couldn't watch tv on my phone unless I install the Spectrum app. I don't add apps on my phone unless I must. I prefer to keep it simple.

Aug 29, 2020

Uggh... was afraid it may be more a Windows issue.

The Windows update issue I was thinking of was a date issue and not time... so that didn't really go anywhere.

I did however come across a discussion about some issues with an Access app... the problem boiled down to some messed up data in the user profiles, which may still be relevant. It was in a domain environment with Pro installs, so the method for checking it was convoluted and the tools likely not available, but it does beg the question if it may not resolve if you tweaked regional settings to force a rewrite of the entries.

Have you tried changing/applying your time zone to somewhere else, then changing/applying it back WITH the auto option for daylight savings?

Or at the least, tried a manual synch... provided that option was present in Win7... been way too long. Here are the Win10 options:

Aug 29, 2020

I don't see how daylight savings can affect anything right now, but I have to keep it unchecked because I flip between partitions and doing so can change the time if daylight savings is checked.

I did try something. There's a setting to synchronize with internet time. I checked it and it pushed my time back one hour! More strangely, TIME.IS shows my time to now be accurate...one hour ahead of the internet time. I did that manually before, but I never really thought that setting it to internet time would push back my time by one hour also.

I've also changed time zones before. No matter what I do, if I set my time back one hour, no matter how I do it, both Spectrum and Time.Is shows it to be accurate...one hour ahead of the time on my computer; ANY of my computers!

Aug 29, 2020

Gremlins... gotta be it.

Remember... don't feed them after midnight!

Sometimes I really hate Window$... if only we weren't so invested in the software we use on it...

This discussion has been closed.