Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Not getting speed of 200Mbps that I just upgraded to

Diane_MDiane_M Posts: 4 ✭✭
in Connectivity Aug 26, 2020

Upgraded to 200Mbps on 08/24/2020 but when testing the speed only showed 100Mbps. Talked with tech support which stated I am provisioned for that speed and should be getting it. Then they said would check on there end and did reset the modem a few times, now my speed is down to around 17Mbps. One of the techs even stated my modem is too old, even though it is the following model / version.

E31N2V1 PC15

Hitron Technologies, inc

DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA

Am supposed to have a tech check it on Thu. 8/27/20. Was told NO need to enter premises, which with the virus going hope they respect that fact.

Hopefully this problem will get corrected.

Thank you

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 26, 2020

If they are thinking it is "too old", may not have been provisioned correctly?

Can check your device if you log into your account at spectrum.net. Go to manage your account and scroll down to the "Your Services and Equipment" section and click the link for "Internet and Wi-Fi". There should be a button to check the details of your modem.

If this was one of their provided modems, it should show an accurate description of your modem (customer modems may still show generic info even if it is the same model as one of theirs).

If this is your own modem, you may want to try one of their modems if this visit does not improve things. This can rule out at least one instance of the old "customer provided equipment" response, shifting the focus to things like cabling and such.

Note that if you are using your own router (or otherwise on wifi), you will want to run tests while directly connected to the modem.

Also, if you want to use your own router and you swap modems, make sure they understand you will be using your own router so they waive the wifi management fee on your bill.

• Diane_MDiane_M Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for the reply. Did as you suggested and only shows the following info:

MTA/Modem

Manufacturer

Hitron

Model

E31N2V1

This is only a internet / voice modem, I have my own D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit router for wifi

edited August 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Yeah... that is listed as one of the models branded as the "Spectrum" Modem/Voice unit:

• Models: E31N2V1, E31T2V1, E31U2V1

• LAN: One 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 port (fro

(From their PDF offered at their modems list)

Just to rule out the Windows dynamic window scaling issue, do other non-windows devices also struggle more with throughput? It is a Windows settings specific glitch. Sometimes this feature gets knackered during Windows Updates and things need to be reset to open up throughput again for the affected systems.

If you haven't done so yet, may want to conduct a test while connected directly to the modem over ethernet (no router in play). Will help if you can rule out the router as a culprit before they show up.

The more you can eliminate up front the better.

• misterjmisterj Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 26, 2020

Diane_M, I have the same modem as yours except made by Ubee. It is the latest, so certainly not too old. What is the IP address of your router? If it is 192.168.100.1, then you must change it because that is the IP of the modem - say change 100 -> 200. Please open a Command Prompt and enter 'tracert 192.168.100.1', no quotes and post the results. Please look at your adapter Status and post a screenshot. Here's mine:

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Aug 26, 2020

Speed states: 1.0 Gbps and my router IP is NOT 192.168.100.1

• misterjmisterj Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 26, 2020

Thanks, Diane_M. Do you mind telling me what your Router IP is? I assume you cannot login into your modem, but if you can please post a screenshot of the signals and SNRs. it would be nice to see the Trace Route I requested. Thanks, and enjoy, John.

Aug 26, 2020

Router IP 192.168.1.1

Can not login to modem

edited August 2020 Aug 26, 2020

@Diane_M

Best thing to do to prepare for the tech visit is to rule out issues on your side of the modem as best you can, and try to leave the modem up and running for at LEAST 6 hours prior to the visit. This will populate the logs with more data and allow for the modem to rethunk channels if necessary.

If you have not already, test throughput from a non-Windows device (phone, tablet, Mac or Linux system) to see if they suffer the same problem to rule out the previously mentioned dynamic receive window issue from Microsoft--if it is isolated to the Windows system, we will need to address the potential glitch in the stack or look at other potential limitations (like a 10/100 network connection, slower 2.4ghz wifi link, etc.)

Then connect a system directly to the modem via ethernet (bypassing the router) in an effort to rule out anything with the router as suspect.

If you can isolate the problem to occurring at or before the modem, this reduces troubleshooting down to the modem and the cable runs to it. They can test against the modem with their own handheld or a free swap to one of Spectrum's modems.

History has shown most these ISP related situations are tied to signaling issues upstream from the modem... so we want to narrow focus down to that point as closely as possible so we can <hopefully> reach a solution faster.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,581 Lead Mod
    Aug 27, 2020

@Diane_M

When you have bypassed your D-Link router and connect directly to the modem what speeds are you getting? You may need to powercycle the modem once you change the device connected to it.

Julia_R

This discussion has been closed.