Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Repeating Timing Synchronization Failure

groggrog Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
edited August 26 in Connectivity Aug 26, 2020

Greetings all -- I'm in NYC. I have been experiencing timing synchronization failure messages (failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing) from my modem (TP-Link TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0, 4 years old, Firmware Version: v1.1.0 Build 20160920 Rel371550, Hardware Version: 1.1 ), at least twice daily over the past week. During these events, the network connectivity drops and the router takes at least a few minutes to reconnect.

I thought it may be an issue with over-heating (the modem was warm to the touch and partially obstructed) but I am still observing errors even after giving some more room. Environmentally, my building momentarily lost power for maintenance on July 22 and there was a partial black-out in the city on Aug 7 that lasted about 45 minutes in my neighborhood. We have also had some impressive lightning storms recently.

Log and connection status pasted below. Any thoughts?

Accepted Answers

Replies

• groggrog Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    Aug 26, 2020

Thanks for your quick insights, @RAIST5150 . I didn't realize technology has advanced so much in four years, I'll definitely consider an upgrade (working from home, so it is critical).

Aug 27, 2020

@Julia_R thanks -- I called into support but cannot wait the 35-55 minutes on hold for a representative right now. The automated sequence did "refresh" the modem and it is showing higher SNR for the downstream channels. I'll continue to monitor and try to get someone on the line.

Sep 03, 2020

A quick follow-up ... I acquired and activated a new modem (Netgear CM1200) and have not observed any recurrence of synchronization failures. Thanks @RAIST5150 and @Julia_R for your comments.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,287 Lead Mod
    Sep 03, 2020

@grog

Excellent! Please let us know if you see anything crop up.

Have a great day!

Julia_R

Sep 09, 2020

Greetings @Julia_R -- as a follow-up to my follow-up, Spectrum did end up sending out a tech today who found excessive ingress on my line and a bad connection between the box and my apartment. Thanks for suggesting to call.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,269 ADMIN
    Sep 09, 2020

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear the issue has been addressed.