Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum-provided wireless router reducing speeds

krk43055krk43055 Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Aug 30, 2020

I recently upgraded to the 400Mbps internet plan. As part of this, Spectrum sent me a new cable modem with separate wireless router. It's been working for the past few weeks, but I noticed I wasn't getting anywhere near 400Mbps down....it has been around 200Mbps. So, I connected my laptop directly to the cable modem and ran tests and was getting 400Mbps. I removed the Spectrum-provided router and plugged in my Apple Time Capsule and enabled the Wireless router function. I'm getting up to 480Mbps down now. Anyone else having this issue? Why would Spectrum provide a wireless router than cannot provide the subscribed speeds?

Thanks!

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30 Aug 30, 2020

Could be crowded channels, or narrow channel width (20/40/80MHz). Wifi throughput depends heavily on varying characteristics of the signal itself.

Some routers can behave weird if the "hardware acceleration" features are disabled as well... even on ethernet. Even the "simple" CTF feature can make a difference on RAM/CPU strapped routers.

Hard to say unless you can access those settings though.

• krk43055krk43055 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Aug 30, 2020

I would expect crowded channels to impact regardless of the wireless router. It seems to only be limited by the Spectrum provided router. I’ll have to play around some more with the Spectrum equipment to see how “custom” they get. Good thing I’m an IT nerd! ;)

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30 Aug 30, 2020

Yeah.. I never trust some of the "Auto" settings on them. Seen too many latch onto bad settings. The worst is the 2.4g band.... sure, it may pick a good channel at the outset, and then someone fires up a microwave, turns on a baby monitor, or starts chatting on a cordless phone and it goes bonkers.

Power settings can be another snafu too... may sound weird, but some perform more consistently with lower power settings when in close.

Optimizing wifi can be a real pain sometimes.