Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Internet Drops and speeds are slow

AngelaMAngelaM Posts: 6 ✭✭
in Connectivity Aug 30, 2020

My connection keeps dropping and is so slow. I am on my 2nd personal modem and its still an issue.

Here is what I am getting from my cable modem logs:

Replies

• AngelaMAngelaM Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited August 30 Aug 30, 2020

Also I have reset my modem and router multiple times and made sure all connections are tight and not loose.

Aug 30, 2020

Here's the modem event log:

• misterjmisterj Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 30, 2020

Thanks for the screenshots, AngelaM. What modem do you have? Your levels look fine but the UnCorrecable Errors are not. Each will require a resend from your ISP. You also have two channels (31 an 32) not locked. Please post a screenshot of a speed test (and service) - recommend www.nperf.com. I suggest you ask your ISP for a service call. This looks like a cable problem, perhaps with lots of ingress - RF noise entering you cable somewhere. Good luck and enjoy, John.

Aug 30, 2020

Modem: Netgear CM700

Also note I am paying for 400Mbps internet plan.

Aug 30, 2020

Wow, AngelaM, that is pretty bad! You definitely need to get after Spectrum. Also please use Server Selection and try a 10 Gbps server near by - I see some in Los Angles. What modem does Spectrum issue for this speed - a DOCSIS 3.1? If so have them bring you one to test. Thanks and enjoy, John.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31 Aug 30, 2020

@AngelaM

looks like AT&T/Verizon LTE ingress or something similar may be generating unwanted noise on the line, knocking out some of your downstream bandwidth (namely the 700MHz frequencies, and your primary lock is at 753). That is NOT "normal" for how this system typically performs.

Need a tech on site to assess lines, connectors, splitters, etc. to see if corrections need to be made.

Ultimately, this may need to get escalated to maintenance though, as it could be occuring at the street or further down the line. It will have to start with the on-site inspections first though, and then they will have to file for the escalation.

Aug 31, 2020

@AngelaM

Modem: Netgear CM700

Also note I am paying for 400Mbps internet plan.

ewe... Puma6 chipset. Not saying that is the root problem.... just not sure if Spectrum ever fully addressed the issues with them. May want to consider something with a Broadcom chipset instead:

https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

Aug 31, 2020
    edited August 31 Aug 31, 2020

@AngelaM

YIKES!

Just got bad enough to blank out 3 channels in that 700mhz range... not cool.

This may be something happening outside the home... but they are likely going to want to send a tech out to confirm ingress is not entering from somewhere in the home.

But yeah... they need to track that down. Call it in. Hopefully they catch this snafu while on the line.

Aug 31, 2020

Still having issues with slow speeds.

Nowhere near my paid 400Mbps internet plan.

Aug 31, 2020

AngelaM, please temporarily connect your computer directly to your modem - no router and run a speed test. Thanks and enjoy, John.

edited August 31 Aug 31, 2020

@AngelaM

Until that noise gets addressed (or you at least lock a cleaner primary channel) you likely will not. Not only have you lost access to several channels, not every one is registering descriptors properly (MDD timeout). All of that adds up to your bursts not getting sufficient bandwidth and such.

Have you called it in yet? Or requested help through the social media outlets?

This is peer support, not Spectrum tech support. The only way it gets to the Spectrum support team is if one of the community team members escalates it to them