Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Recurring Internet Outages

gktgkt Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Connectivity Aug 30, 2020

I have had recurring internet outages once or twice a week for the past month and a half in Waxhaw, NC area. Techs came out 3 different times, replaced my modem and finally said they would send a maintenance crew out. That was 2 weeks ago and still dropping connection. Customer service is useless. Asked how I could file a complaint and they said they didnt know. Cant find anywhere how to talk to anyone else to find out what's going on. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30 Aug 30, 2020

Up there near Monroe/Pageland, right? Been a while since I rolled through that region...

IDK if you got dumped on with all that rain like we had in SC or not... but the humidity has been off the charts here.

MIGHT be some issues with line quality... namely the moisture, depending on how equipment is set up.

Sometimes moisture gets into the pedestals on the ground, seeps in to the junction boxes and into the connectors and/or the braiding inside the shielding... can cause all kinds of weirdness, especially during the summer temps.

Or it could just be a compromised line/device somewhere up/down the street... critters chewing on cables, high winds/trees stressing cables, etc.

If they have confirmed your lines in-house are in good shape, and all connectors/splitters/etc. are all "bright and tight", than this may be an issue at the pedestal or further out that the truck rolls neeed to track down.

If you are up for it, and you can see the signal level page in your modem, you could try connecting it closer to where the cable comes into the home (or without a splitter in line) to see how much variance there is compared to where it is installed now. IF it is too out of whack in relation to cable length/splitter usage, then there may be something to look for in the house. If it all looks in line though, not much to do but wait it out--unless you want to contact the regulation/franchise administrators (contact details should be in your bill).

• gktgkt Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Aug 31, 2020

Thank you for your response and advice. I dont think it's my equipment as every time my internet has dropped, there has been a "problem in my area ". But no one can tell me what these continual problems are. Do you know how I request for the things you referenced to be checked out? Thank you.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 31, 2020

Typically it has to go from the localised techs and then up the chain. So may need another tech to come verify signal at the drop versus at the modem, look for potential issues if the signals look off-kilter between them, and then they have to file for escalation from there.

If you have already had a tech visit and have definitively ruled out the customer side of things, you MIGHT be able to skip the extra tech visit when you call in and get a person on the line.

Results can vary on that front... but generally, we have to somehow rule out the in-home stuff before it gets bumped to the next tier of support.