Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Multiple T3 Timeouts Everyday — Is It My Hardware or Something Else?

Patrick_WPatrick_W Posts: 1
in Connectivity Sep 01, 2020

My Motorola MB7420 is experiencing multiple (2-3) T3 timeouts everyday, and they're really interfering with me and my partner's work from home situation! I'm also using an Asus RT-N300 router. Both devices are mine rather than Spectrum's.

I've done some research into the possible origins of my problem, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to draw some insight from the numbers and notices shared below before I begin dragging techs out here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Up to this point, all I've tried is tightening my coaxial connections.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2 Sep 02, 2020

If the modem is going into a reboot cycle (not just a quick rethunking for a few channels, but a cycle more like when you cycle power), keep an eye on those upstream power levels to see if they are creeping up over the 49/50 mark. If it goes past 51, you are heading towards an automatic reboot with how your channels are configured.

Historically we have seen 4 upstream channels bond for a long time now, but frequencies are getting reassigned, partly tied to efforts to better support 3.1/gig servicing. The first of those 4 channels may have gone away in part because of the transition... or something could be up with the signaling and the modem is trying to adjust for that, but eventually hits a coded limit that makes it reboot (usually at the 51/52 mark for how those 3 channels work).

So if you see such behavior on those upstream channels, Spectrum needs to be made aware of that so they can try to track it down.

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Sep 02, 2020

Hello Patrick - sorry to hear you are experiencing daily T3 errors . Would encourage you to contact Spectrum tech support directly , ask onsite tech to replace with Spectrum modem, and verify there are no errors of any kind in modem log after reboot.

Once your basic signal and modem are stabilized you would likely enjoy a more robust wifi experience by upgrading to a newer wifi router beyond the Asus RT-N300 (RT-N300 getting a bit old introduced circa 2015 ish).

The more direct answer to your question "is it my hardware or something else" is that T3 errors are more often caused by cabling, connectors and upstream signal issues than local hardware. So no its not your hardware. Would encourage you to let Spectrum help you by using free Spectrum approved modem for base connection and then add whatever wifi router you like to add the stability and improve wifi coverage and performance.