Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Wired Connection - Sudden Abysmal Upload speed & High Latency

JakePittsJakePitts Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 02, 2020

My upload was completely stable & fine with no issues until a week ago or so. Last known date my upload was working & stable for sure was 08/29/2020.

So I believe there has to be an ingress problem at the node or somewhere upstream & not on my end.

I own my own Arris modem, and TP-link router. I am a a Twitch streamer, and have had 0 issues with my upload speed streaming 4 times a week, for up to 8.5 hour streams for the last 5 months, and not one issue. Out of nowhere, my upload is useless. I can't even stream. My upload spikes, and then drops to 0KB. it bounces around, and tonight again, it crashed my stream, and completely went out. I couldn't even stream for more than 5 minutes, before it all went to hell.

I pay for 400MB D and 20 U.

Here is what I'm getting for my Upload.

I have been waiting for a tech to come out this Friday, but I already know it's going to be a similar story I read on here from 2018 where everything is fine with the lines. How on earth does my service go from perfect to absolute useless garbage when I have changed nothing.

Also not to mention this company has the worst customer service. They either hang up on you after you have been on hold waiting for an agent for 45 minutes, or once you do finally get someone they put you on hold and never return to the call. It's MIND BLOWING!!!

Anyone else a streamer out there having these issues? I'm in the Glendale, Burbank CA area.

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,287 Lead Mod
    Sep 02, 2020

@JakePitts Welcome to the community!

Some information you can post to help diagnose the issue can be found here:

Data to post to get help from your peers.

Julia_R

• misterjmisterj Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 03, 2020

JakePitts, I suspect you are receiving a taste of DOCSIS 3.1. The information Julia_R asked for will be very helpful. As a wild guess: If you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 24 or 32 channels, please try connecting it to your system in place of your Arris (assumed 3.1). You will need to call your ISP and give them your MAC address. Please let up hear if this corrects your problems. I have seen several users with good service and good statistics in their modem but sudden loss of performance. I suspect a problem with how the ISP provisions the 3.1 modem. A 3.0 modem with at least 24 channels should support 400 Mbps. This will be temporary till your ISP corrects the underlying problem. Thanks and enjoy, John.

• JakePittsJakePitts Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 03, 2020

Hey John,

Thanks for the response. I wish this would be the issue, but I do have a 3.0 modem. I have the Arris SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 and I'm running that to my TP-Link AC1900 I am running wired connections to my computer and xbox that I am currently streaming from. I have a 2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

Like I said I have been streaming the last 5 months without any network, or connection issues at all until it all started with my upload speed spiking and dropping, and wrecking havoc on my stream making it impossible to even do. This started 8/29/2020 and it doesn't matter what time of day I try to stream it does the same thing every time.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 03, 2020

@JakePitts

Been seeing recurring issues in some markets on the upstream side causing power levels to climb over 50. Crossing 51 upstream tends to trip reboots with how upstream is typically configured for Spectrum. So may want to keep an eye on them in your signal page.

Have also started seeing more incidents on the downstream side that looks like LTE interference or somethimg similar causing excess noise (low SNR dips) and even blanking out several channels. More common to see it in the 700mhz bands, but a couple cell companies are still in the 600 bands also. So that is something else you may see in the signal page as well.

The event log may also be registering a lot of T3/T4 and/or MDD errors when it is going off the rails like this.

If you see such issues, it is more likely something related to signalling and NOT your modem, nor how it is provisioned. A tech would likely need to come on site to assess the local lines and devices to rule out stuff in your home and such.

May take more than one trip to properly vet things on this front before it can be escalated further outward and potentially upstream from your location if needed... but it pretty much HAS to start with you requesting help directly from Spectrum (by phone or their social media pages). The community team can sometimes forward directly from here IF it looks like actionable data may be there, but it is kinda rare.

• Lulu13Lulu13 Posts: 1
    Sep 03, 2020

Yeah this sounds about right. Constant disconnects, unable to play online games without disconnecting 9/10 times. Love paying so much for terrible service in a town this joke of a company somehow runs a monopoly in.

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Sep 03, 2020

Hello Jake - sorry to hear you are having connection issues. Every case is a little different. Makes perfect sense that you made no changes but are currently and suddenly experiencing service impact issues. There are a myriad of issues that can be service impacting ie cabling or connectors getting damaged upstream from you, rodents chewing cable, components failing, compromised connectors oxidation/corrosion / electrical surge damage etc.

With the uniqueness of each situation, its unlikely that the current event has any relation to previous issues from 2018 that were mentioned. Occasionally issues like weather can impact coax connections. The weekend weather forecast for Glendale shows it might hit 108F . Coax connections in Glendale at 108F might experience different issues than in other parts of the country with median temps of 70F.

Julia gave great advice as to additional info you could share when having modem issues, model num of modem . signal levels and all of that. For the interim, am optimistic you will let the Spectrum folks help you by replacing the modem with a Spectrum provided model (doesnt cost you anything) and ensuring the signals are corrected and reliable from there as a baseline to end your current understandable cycle of frustration.

We cant make any assumptions based on the info provided so far as to whether you currently have a docsis 3.1 modem or not. Respectfully, the issue is not entirely relevant as to version of docsis . There are ok modems that will adequately support a 400 Mbps connection that support docsis 3.0 and docsis 3.1.

The main focus is to make sure you have consistent reliable signal that supports the speeds you expect and normal streaming performance you described earlier in your post.

To address your well articulated concerns, ask the tech scheduled for Friday to do a bit more than just verify that modem RX, TX, SNR are in spec . Ask tech to verify that there are no T3/T4 errors or errors of any kind in modem log after it is rebooted once they have a chance to complete corrective actions during your Friday visit.

If onsite tech can not resolve errors, they can escalate issue to maintenance folks who can tackle potential causes of the issue further upstream. Goal is the same, all of us just want to see you have stable, reliable connection that works as expected.

• misterjmisterj Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 03, 2020

Thanks, JakePitts. A quick look at your modem - seems fine. We do need to look at your signal levels and SNRs. The bad thing about the current "free" modems is that, at least for me, I cannot see the statistics inside - cannot log into modem. Looks like you have plenty of advisers. Please try a power cycle, if not already done. Good luck and enjoy, John.