Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

DVR sound drops out on Samsung TV and Soundbar but works fine with Game system, Fire TV & Blu-Ray

figureguyfigureguy Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 10 in TV Equipment Sep 03, 2020

I am not quite sure how to put this issue but I will do my best. I have an Samsung TV and an LG sound bar hooked to it. I have the Sound bar hooked via the hdmi arc connection. The sound comes out loud and crisp for the game system, the Fire TV and Blu-Ray player but there is an issue with the DVR. It is a Cisco 9865HDC connected via HDMI. The tv is an UN49NU8000, the sound bar is an LG LAS551H and the DVR is a cisco 9865HDC connected via HDMI. Occasionally the volume will be lowered when I watch the DVR I have to turn the volume up to 30 to get the same sound provided by the other 3 at about 13. The DVR is controlled with the spectrum stock remote which also is set up to control my soundbar, tv, blu-ray. I tried all 4 hdmi inputs on the tv and different HDMI cords. When the TV volume drops if I switch over to the Nintendo the volume acts normal on there.

The audio levels lower but they also fluctuate - fading in and out, if you will. Additionally, i've noticed some channels where the audio is almost muted. It also affects previous recordings, as I was watching a recorded series the poor audio quality was present.

There issue has been intermittent over the years and has shown up with various different brands of equipment. One tech said I had too MUCH signal and lowered it while the next tech said the problem was I had too little. I was told my lines to the pole had been chewed on and another time a ferrite core was put on the line in the basement as they said there was interference. The strangest one of all is I was told that the system is configured so that basically the equipment in my neighborhood, to the best of me being able to relate is, runs downhill towards my house. By the time it has gone through all the other customers the signal was getting affected. Supposedly they changed equipment at all the poles.

Any thoughts? Please let me know what else you need as far as information and I will be glad to provide it. Thank you so much.

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,287 Lead Mod
    Sep 03, 2020

Good morning! Welcome to the community!

When you connect the DVR directly to the TV, not through the sound bar (If I am understanding your set up right) using one of the HDMI cables from your other equipment in their HDMI slots on the TV do you still experience this? Another thing you can try, if you have one, is to use a different TV to test this.

Julia_R

• figureguyfigureguy Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 03, 2020

Thanks for responding. The TV, The Switch and the Fire TV are all connected through the TV's HDMI ports directly, not routed through the bar. The BluRay player is the only one coming through the bar. Sorry if it wasn't clear. I actually do have an older Panasonic I still have around and that is one of the steps I had used in the past was to try it through there. Same issue. Also, the lower DVR volume happens when the sound bar is bypassed and the TV Speakers themselves produce the volume. That happens with both televisions. When I tried the Panasonic route I used a few different HDMI cables and I had a different model DVR then. They told me at the time that it must be the box so we switched it over. However the issue was the same with the new box and I had my old series managed to record and about 10 hours worth of shows I lost. The funny thing is I went back to Spectrum's center about 1/2 hour later and they said they could not give me my old box back so I was stuck with another defective one but I had to reset all my recordings for nothing.

Sep 03, 2020

It sounds almost like it is maybe dropping the 2 way communication, maybe some short timeouts. Do you notice this problem more at a certain time of day?

If you have Internet do you have any troubles with that? Do they share a splitter?

Julia_R

Sep 03, 2020

I do have internet and don't notice much trouble with that. I don't really notice a pattern of when it happens during the day or not.

When you say a splitter do you mean like in the basement? Where the wires enter the house? Not exactly sure.

Sep 03, 2020

Yes, where the line goes from inside the house to the modem (on one side usually) then the other side will either go to a box or in some cases another splitter for other equipment/rooms.

If you are able to login to your modem and post your signal levels and FEC page we can take a look.

Julia_R

Sep 03, 2020

I believe a splitter is downstairs and only the modem and one DVR/cable in use.

I can log in and have. Please let me know what info need and how to find it. I was able to access the main as well as the advanced settings page but are unsure where to go from there.

Sep 03, 2020

Thank you for your help Julia. I really do appreciate it. I'd like to exhaust my options as home as when this happened a couple of years ago they involved a TQA(?) supervisor and I was given someone in charge's personal cell. The thing that surprised me the most was I was basically told that each tech has different training and not everyone has a consistent repair idea or method. (ie. Like in my first post, where one said my signal was too much and lowered it, then the next said it was too little and raised it) I just hate that this pops up intermittently and there are so many hoops to fix it.

Sep 04, 2020

@figureguy I have PMed you so we can look into this further.

Thanks!

Julia_R

Sep 04, 2020

Thanks, Julia as I got your PM and sent you the information you asked for.

Sep 04, 2020

Thanks! I got the message.

First I' taking a look at the connection to the cable box. I am seeing that timing out.

You would probably not notice it rebooting or things of that nature. The signal levels all look good.

Then we look at the modem. I am seeing a higher number of correcteds and uncorrectables than

I would want to see, I can say if this were my connection I would want to have a tech out. I'm glad to see you

have an appointment scheduled. Please let us now how that goes!

Julia_R

Sep 05, 2020

Actually I had to cancel and will reschedule that appointment. My wife and I have to go visit her father tomorrow and we won't be able to be here.

When I call I I will mention that I have spoken with you through Spectrum support. What should I point out to them while they are here? The higher number of correcteds and uncorrectables on the modem but anything about the DVR? You said the signal looks good but you mention timing out.

Will the modem issues cause the volume disruptions? I am just curious as to how that works. I wanted to speak with you first before scheduling an appointment so if there is any information they need upfront I can give it to them.

Thanks for looking into this for me and after I hear back I will make an appointment for next week. Then I will update you on the progress.

Jason