Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

How do I register SPF with Spectrum?

markfilipakmarkfilipak Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
edited September 8 in Email Sep 08, 2020

I'm a Spectrum customer. I use Spectrum for SMTP. My Gmail account authentication is randomly failing, presumably on SPF verification. I gather from reading on the Internet that the problem is with my Spectrum account.

How do I fix this?

Best Answer

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,261 ADMIN
    Sep 08, 2020

Are you using Spectrum residential webmail or are you a Spectrum Business email customer?

• markfilipakmarkfilipak Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Sep 09, 2020

Hey James,

Neither. I'm running an email client, Thunderbird. I'm not a business. The problem is that, more and more, the ISPs of email recipients are requiring DMARC, SPF, and DKIM. Specifically, Gmail (but also others in the U.S. and in Europe). I'm unsure of the relationship between DMARC, SPF, and DKIM, but without some aspect (probably SPF) the received email may be shunted to a spam folder, or may be simply deleted -- both with no notice to either the sender or the intended recipient. That is disaster and it's probably not what the Internet Engineering Task Force intended.

Since there's no notice, few people know this is happening. I discovered it only because I created a mailing list of 4 people and found that some were getting my emails and others were not.

Spectrum must fix this and add an SPF report for residential customers in addition to business customers. Otherwise, I'm sure there will eventually be government action to force it.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9 Sep 09, 2020

IIRC the SPF record would be part of the DNS records... not something you could edit unless it is your domain.

Are you authenticating against the proper server for the email address you are sending as? Might be running into a mismatch on the DNS query? Or otherwise hitting some sort of sending limit (there have been issues with lists on this system because of such restrictions in the past).

EDIT: just ran queries for both the old sc.rr.com and spectrum.net domains, and they both returned 5 authorized subnets with a /24 CIDR notation. So the SPF is set up already.

@RAIST5150 "EDIT: just ran queries for both the old sc.rr.com and spectrum.net domains, and they both returned 5 authorized subnets with a /24 CIDR notation. So the SPF is set up already."

Thanks! Details, please.

How does /24 subnets -- are they businesses? -- indicate that SPF is already set up? My ISP's domain is neo.rr.com (i.e. NorthEast Ohio). How did you run queries and how was it that you reached your interpretations?

Based on the headers that I send, there is no SPF. Comments?

Sep 09, 2020

You can google SPF query tools, or may see it as an option on various DNS checkers.

It is a TXT record that lists the addresses of valid senders... in this case they identified 5 subnets of valid addresses for the domain queried.

Hit one such tool for neo.rr.com and got the same list from the a._spf.rr.com redirect.

Sep 09, 2020

Thanks! I tried this: https://kitterman.com/spf/validate.html

Here's the result:

"Input accepted, querying now...

"Mail sent from this IP address: 10.70.65.135

"Mail from (Sender): example.com

"Results - FAIL Message may be rejected"

I think that the problem is: I don't have a domain. No domain, no DNS entry, eh?

Why would Gmail be 'spam' flagging mail from people who don't have domains? That pretty much limits email to businesses only. Something's not right, here. I think I've been given bogus info and am now chasing my tail.

Looks like your mx record and all is pointing to pairnic's addresses (webmail.pair.com, relay.pair.com, etc.)... but you are submitting mail from an address not on the associated SPF record.

May want to contact them about using their relay or something? Maybe an alias? (if that is still even an option these days)

Sep 11, 2020

Oh, I just had a brainwave. What about Spectrum adding its users to it's DNS? I just checked it and got this:

"SPF record lookup and validation for: neo.rr.com

"SPF records are published in DNS as TXT records.

"The TXT records found for your domain are:

"v=spf1 redirect=a._spf.rr.com

"Checking to see if there is a valid SPF record.

"Found v=spf1 record for neo.rr.com:

"v=spf1 redirect=a._spf.rr.com

"evaluating...

"Results - Redirected to another SPF record. Processed without error using pySPF (Python SPF library)!

"The result of the test (this should be the default result of your record) was, softfail . The explanation returned was, domain owner discourages use of this host"

Ummm... Huh? I see what you mean by "a._spf.rr.com redirect".