Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Why do I keep getting these annoying notifications..."your TV supports a higher resolution?"

freddy9820freddy9820 Posts: 4 ✭✭
in TV Equipment Sep 08, 2020

Why do I keep getting these annoying notifications..."your TV supports a higher resolution?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,714 helper
    Sep 09, 2020

Good morning @freddy9820 ,

This is a software bug. Some report that it can be corrected by doing the following:

1.) Go into Resolution Settings on your box.

2.) Select a LOWER resolution than what you have set and select the SAVE or OK prompt.

3.) Now go back into the Resolution Settings and select the Higher Resolution and Save that setting.

4.) This should ("Knock on Wood") resolve the issue.

Satch

• jurymanjuryman Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Sep 18, 2020

I also have that issue. I just was upgraded to a 9865HDC Technicolor box and your solution did not work. Unfortunately, the TV that I have connected to the cable box can only go 720p which is the lowest resolution.

edited September 20 Sep 20, 2020

I also have that issue. I just was upgraded to a 9865HDC Technicolor box and your solution did not work. Unfortunately, the TV that I have connected to the cable box can only go 720p which is the lowest resolution.

Greetings,

The bug to which I was referring often shows up on boxes running the new Spectrum Guide. In legacy TWC markets, these are the new "No Clock" World Boxes. The Cisco 9865 in legacy TWC markets runs the ODN Navigator Guide.. It has a clock on the front panel.

If you are running the ODN Guide, I would suggest going under "Settings" on your box. Check your "Output Resolution." and put a dot by the highrst resolution only. This should be 1080i. Leave your TV setting at 720p. Save those settings. The box will simply do an upconvert of the HD signal. Try rebooting if this does not work. I also have this same model box. A rare 6-tuner DVR, it is amazing! You may need to reboot the box for the resolution to take effect.

Satch

• FigaroFigaro Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    edited September 21 Sep 21, 2020

Same Issue with my 4K LG TV

I recently got the 9865HDC and the new Guide. Config shows a recommended res of 1080p. Great, I set it and everything is fine until I turn off the TV. Turn it on and I get the resolution message because it has reverted to 720p. This is a pain in the butt that needs a fix or a work a round solution.

Question: Even though setup recommends 1080p, does Spectrum support more that 1080i?

FYI: If you are not quick enough to reset the res when the msg appears at power on, it takes roughly 20 button presses to reconfigure it.

Thanks, Bruce in CNY Baldwinsville area.

Sep 21, 2020

Sup all?

The workaround with this annoying bug is to leave your box powered on and just turn the TV on/off. The box, even when turned off, uses almost the same amount of AC current as when turned on, I had a tech guy check this some years ago.

Sounds like the new Spectrum Guide is begining to make its way on clock boxes

Satch

• freddy9820freddy9820 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Sep 21, 2020

Thanks Satch , but I tried that on two different TVs and it didn't work.

Sep 21, 2020

Guys,

If my suggestion about leaving the box on, and just using power button to turn the TV on and off did not work, I would recommend a tech visit for all having this issue. This is because not turning the box off IS the known workaround for this issue. I would set up that service call, it is free, and please post back what the tech says, does, or recommends. The resolution bug should not be recurring as much as it is for you guys in this thread. You need a truck roll. Please post back. Maybe a different model box is needed.

If the tech replaces your box, let us know the make and model of your replacement.

Satch

• FigaroFigaro Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    edited September 23 Sep 23, 2020

Just to confirm that leaving the box on doesn't work for me either. Simply powering off the TV causes the problem.

I'd like to add that this new guide in many cases is a step backward in usability. It's awkward, requires more button presses and doesn't respond as quickly as the old system.

Thanks Satch, I will contact support.

Yesterday 10:22am

Hey @Figaro,

Did you set up your service appointment? Let us know how that goes and what they did for your box?

Satch

• freddy9820freddy9820 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Yesterday 2:58pm

Many of us are anxious to hear what they have to say!