Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

High latency or timeout to first hop in Spectrum network

michael432michael432 Posts: 1
in Connectivity Sep 11, 2020

I'm having high latency issues on my first hop to Spectrum network. See my Ping Tracer graph below:

The first row is my home router. The timeframe was this morning from around 8 am to around 10 am. I think this is a fairly typical representation of my connectivity.

My cable modem is a Motorola SURFBoard SB6180, which is not on the Spectrum approved modem list: https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network/ This device was provided to me when I initially signed up for Internet service through Time Warner.

How likely is the issue my cable modem?

Would Spectrum replace the device?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11 Sep 11, 2020

Why are you spamming google DNS? Seeing a 3-4% rate of loss/delay/retransmit in such a scenario is actually surprisingly good, depending on the rate the ECHO requests were going out... too many too fast and the requests risk getting ignored by policy at the other end.

Need more information about what you are particularly having issues with... and more appropriate data tied to that particular service, as well as details of how your network is configured and being used at the points in time you are having the particular issues.

Different activities have different thresholds for rating acceptable losses/retransmit delays and such. DNS queries are less critical than a voice call, which is less critical than a video stream, which is less critical than a game depending on TCP, which is less critical than a game depending on UDP (UDP does not have built-in countermeasures like TCP).

A lot of issues can crop up simply from buffer bloating, especially with gigabit hardware on the LAN feeding to a much more restrictive upstream bandwidth. QoS in the router (or through a managed switch) can go a long way towards smoothing out such hitchy transmissions. I have seen some streams balance out somewhat by simply shunting them through a cheap 10/100 switch even.

As for the modem... still trying to confirm something specific about it that might hint at a latency issue with it's hardware... but generally speaking, an 8x4 model really should be upgraded with their push to move the basic tier to 200mbps (which really needs 16 downstream channels lately).

So long as you have converted to a Spectrum account, a straight modem from them is free now--they only charge for managing wifi on their routers now. You just don't want one with a Puma chipset, as they can give you some weird stuttering issues (Intel inside logos and such).