Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Wanting to get modem levels for correcteds and uncorrectables that might be high from Spectrum

figureguyfigureguy Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 11, 2020

I had been having some issues with my volume and was getting held from Julia_R and community help through the forums. They scheduled a tech appointment and before they came they also looked at the modemand said they were seeing a higher number of correcteds and uncorrectables than they wanted to.

I showed the technicians a printout of the message so they knew what to check besides the volume issue and they did work with the modem. Community help closed the case and told me to start a new question if needed. I tried messaging Julia_R with no response.

Is there anyone else if she is unavailable who can check these numbers for me? I would appreciate it. The tech said he didn't seem too concerned as he could see more on his end than anyone on the boards but I wanted to make sure my internet is where it should be or I'll make another appointment.

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear back soon.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11 Sep 11, 2020

Not really a hard number... it's more about how they relate to everything else. Things like maintenance events and resets can cause the numbers to ramp up while it is thunking for clear channels and such.

After a modem has been up for a while, it may track a lot of errors-- but there have also been a TON of packets that have gone through just fine (could be thousands of errors on each channel against tens of millioms of packets sent on each of them).

If a channel goes haywire, it may suspend operations briefly to hunt for a replacement channel, and the stats for that slot in the array doesn't reset the error counts. So it may appear say channel 20 has gone off the rails, but it actually was the initial channel it bonded.

The error counts are more like a heads up that something MAY be off when looking at all the stats across all channels... total packets vs corrected/uncorrected as well as the channel selection (they initially try to bond a contiguous block, then replace as needed) and signal/SNR behavior in relation to both the neighboring channels and the entire range of the array. From channel to channel, the numbers should be fairly tight, with a very gentle slope as you move from one end of the frequency range to the other.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,261 ADMIN
    Sep 11, 2020

Please take a look at DATA TO POST TO GET HELP FROM YOUR PEERS for some helpful information to include in your post.

• figureguyfigureguy Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 11, 2020

I'm not sure how this helps as when Julia_R just looked at my numbers from your end she said if those were hers she would have a tech come. I am not personally too technical but I will try to give you the answers I can off the data page but more I just wanted to know if they still looked off to someone on your end. I also cannot log into my modem page but I can my router.

Basic:

1. The issue is seeing a higher number of correcteds and uncorrectables identified by Spectrum
    2. Your ZIP code 13211
    3. Single home
    4. Subscribed to internet, phone and cable. Speed is 100mbps plan.
    5. Modem is Spectrum E31U2V1, Router is Sagemcom RAC2V1S

Intermediate:

1. Cannot access modem page, see Intermediate line 5
    2. Modem is online
    3. I am in my account and have trouble finding where to troubleshoot.
    4. The symptoms are described in post 1 of Basic and I have wired and wireless devices
    5. My router is accessible at 192.168.1.1. When I put in 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1 for my modem it keeps saying too long to load on the pages.
    6. The cable comes from the pole into the basement. There is a splitter and one goes to the DVR in my living room and the other to the modem in my computer room. We had some issues with our TV a couple of years ago and they replaced the wire from the pole into the house and at the splitter.
    7. Cables were just inspected when the techs came out last week, from the poles to the devices. My ethernet cables fine also.

Advanced:

1. Modem to router Cat 8 cable to Desktop and Cat 7 to Nintendo switch
    2. No changes as the issues were showing before the techs came
    3. I am not sure of any site that has a particular problem as I am not exactly sure what the problem with the correcteds and such means
    4. I manually run all my backup programs and have none set to run automatically

That's all I have right now. Please let me know what else you need.

• misterjmisterj Posts: 77 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 11, 2020

figureguy, question: can Julia_R not post some screenshots so we all can see them? I think it is a really bad policy decision to lock the customer out of the modem - I have the same modem as you but no problems (200 Mbps). Enjoy, John.

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 34 MOD
    Sep 11, 2020

Hi @figureguy

I'm sorry for all the confusion. I'll reach back out to you via PM again shortly to see if we can get this resolved for you.

Sep 12, 2020

misterj,

Thanks for responding.

Renee reached out to me and I want to see if we can resolve this. I think the audio TV issues she helped me with are corrected but I don't understand why the 192.168.0.1 link doesn't work but the 192.168.1.1 connects me to the router. Can I access modem settings from there?

She said the correcteds and assorted look much better but I used to be able to login to my modem in the past. If I need to I'd be glad to replace it so I can.

Sep 12, 2020

figureguy, as far as I have been able to discover via lots of research, this modem locks out customers. Only the ISP can access the modem. As I said above, I think this is a very poor decision. There is no solution (that I am aware) except to buy your own Modem which I plan to do. I am so adamant to see what is going on, I will spend $150 for an SB8200 (Arris). Several companies sell DOCSIS 3.1 Modems (Arris, NetGear, Motorola, maybe more). You should check with your ISP to make sure you are buying a supported modem for their network. I think you want to stick to 3.1 for future proofing. My ISP supplies the modem at no extra charge, so I will save nothing on my bill. The IP address of your router is 192.168.1.1 - default. I assume this is supplied by your ISP. You should be able to change it, but please do not change it to 192.168.100.1 because that is the address of your modem. Enjoy, John.

Sep 12, 2020

Thanks again, misterj. Previously I had the spectrum combo/router but I had it for quite some time. I wanted to get a newer version of their equipment and didn't think twice when I exchanged it. Actually considering I got the old one from Time Warner and the new modem and router from Spectrum just differentiates how each company approaches their policies different. The modem is provided free but I do pay a charge for renting the router which I don't agree with as the combo device was free. I have thought about purchasing a modem/router myself but my only concern is that if the Spectrum one dies out I can just drive the three miles from home and exchange it. If one I purchased online dies than I am in a bind for internet access. I have debated that over the years but it is my biggest worry. Thanks for your time, John.

Jason

Sep 12, 2020

You are very welcome. Several companies also offer 3.1 modem/routers but you are right, if a lightning strike kills the HW, you are now on the hook. You can still go to your ISP and get the supplied ones, and pay rent on the router for a quick recovery. If you buy your own modem, then you will need to call the ISP and give them the MAC address on the modem label to get it going. Enjoy, John.