Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

What kind of cable is that?

Mark26Mark26 Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 12, 2020

Hi,

I'm moving apartment and in the new apartment the only coax cable I found is the one in the picture.

It looks smaller than a RG6 and I'm wondering if it is good for conneting cable internet with Spectrum.

Could you advice?

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12 Sep 12, 2020

Don't see any writing on the jacket... and seeing how badly it has been crushed, would not be surprised if it were old-school RG-59, which has a horrible loss/noise profile.

Looks like it may just have a single layer of braided shielding and a foil layer too, which isn't ideal even if that center conductor were a thicker RG6 grade wire. Quad shield coax has been the minimum standard for quite a long time now... even more important with all the wifi floating around these days.

Need to get more of the cable out either way... that section has been compromised too much. If you can get it to a point where you can see the writing on it, you may see a reference to the RG rating.

Without being able to verify that spec for certain, I would not trust it for anything beyond carrying a generic TV signal.

• Mark26Mark26 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 12, 2020

Thanks for your answer!!

Here is the text on the cable, Hoping it helps!

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12 Sep 12, 2020

@Mark26

At least it is an RG6 (18ga center conductor, rg59 is 20).

Just not sure of the shielding on it. Best if there are two layers of braiding in there, as well as foil... some lesser cables "cheat" with foil layers.

For certain though, that compressed/flattened portion needs to be cut off before a new end is put on there.

If there are issues with too much loss/noise once put in service, I would certainly try bypassing it to rule it out as part of the problem.