Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Navigating a pole/box repair in someone else's yard

J_G_MJ_G_M Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 14, 2020

Hey Spectrum Community,

I am based in Brooklyn and recently had a tech confirm that an issue is not on my building's unit but instead on the pole/box that is located a few buildings over in their backyard. The dispatch team and support team keep trying to schedule time with me to come out for the repair, but don't quite understand that I can't give permission to enter someone else's house. I fear that I will succumb to Spectrum pinball with tech's not taking the initiative to understand which exact unit the pole can be accessed from, and getting that owner's permission.

Has anyone navigated this type of issue before?

Tagged:

Comments

• misterjmisterj Posts: 77 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 14, 2020

J_G_M, does not sound right to me. As I understand it, ISPs are public utilities and have the legal right to go where needed to address problems. If they need access to your premises, then you need to be there. Enjoy, John.

• J_G_MJ_G_M Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sep 14, 2020

John, thanks for the response. I guess then Spectrum won't take any initiative to coordinate and I should be the one to contact my neighbor?

• misterjmisterj Posts: 77 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 14, 2020

J_G_M, I am a technical person and certainly not a legal person. I would suggest you discuss this with your ISP. The laws in your state may be quite different from here. Hopefully a Spectrum person will respond in this forum. Enjoy, John.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14 Sep 14, 2020

@J_G_M

Easement issues can get a bit weird... more or less depends on what areas are considered common ground and what is privately owned.

I live in a townhouse community. Even though they are multi-unit buildings, we actually own the small parcel of land the unit is built on that extends out front and back of our unit--we actually own the two parking spaces in front, and a clip of the backyard.

The same does not necessarily apply for condos, surely not for rented apartments (someone owns the land, but not necessarily the tenants). So if you live in such a community, may be able to verify the boundaries with the homeowners association or landlord.

Otherwise, if they are individually owned homes and such, Spectrum may still have easement rights specifically for accessing their utility products on those properties, provided they are outside and seperated from the private structures (can get iffy when actually attached to the home). For example, our pedestal is technically in my neighbor's back yard, but it is accessible by public walkway so they do not have to worry about easement for that-- but each individual line runs to a box in/on our utility sheds, so they need someone present to grant access there. May be able to check if such a distinction exists with the homeowners association if you have one. Otherwise Spectrum should know in advance if they have access rights where they need to go.

• J_G_MJ_G_M Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sep 14, 2020

RAIST5150, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I am in in townhouses too. The yards on these units are only accessible through the units themselves as there is no passage to yards between buildings. While Spectrum may have the right to access, I worry that they are simply going to come out here without contacting the owner of the unit where the pole is located then not have a plan for if that neighbor does not answer.