Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Is my modem/connection in spec?

LakeShow247LakeShow247 Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 14, 2020

Been having issues lately with wifi connections dropping daily (all wireless devices suddenly disconnect). Trying to figure out if it's the modem or the router. I have a Netgear CG3000D-RG modem and a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 router.

I keep seeing these errors in my modem:

Mon Sep 14 19:09:42 2020  Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=84:1b:5e:c7:32:58;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:67:b4:5a;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  

Mon Sep 14 19:07:31 2020  Error (4)  Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=84:1b:5e:c7:32:58;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:67:b4:5a;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  

Mon Sep 14 19:07:31 2020  Error (4)  Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=84:1b:5e:c7:32:58;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:67:b4:5a;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

What do they mean?

Here is what my connection looks like

Comments

• LakeShow247LakeShow247 Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 15, 2020

Just some addition info. Here is what my event log looks like on my TP-Link router when the connection drops. Does it look like it's unable to get DHCP from the modem?

• LakeShow247LakeShow247 Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 15, 2020

Can anyone tell me if my downstream and upstream #'s look OK?

• dopplegangerdoppleganger Posts: 12 ✭✭✭
    Sep 17, 2020

To me, those downstream levels are too high. -7 to 7 is the ideal, 8-10 is getting borderline. And with temperature fluctuations you could easily go well above the 10 and push up even higher.

I would definitely call support and schedule a tech to come and see what’s the issue and hopefully bring down those downstream levels

• misterjmisterj Posts: 77 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 17, 2020

LakeShow247, your DS levels are well within the limits of -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV. Lots of people like to see lower levels but I think +10 dBmV is fine and in general more is better than less with limits. If you are losing your Wi-Fi but not your Ethernet connected devices, then I would suspect the Wireless router. So when you have a dropout, please test Ethernet connect device. Enjoy, John.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17 Sep 17, 2020

@LakeShow247

While they are technically in spec in the scope of the modem's published limits... things are outside the range this system's admins have historically tried to maintain, as @doppleganger alluded to.

In a DOCSIS 3.0 setup like that, they typically have gone for downstream staying between -6 and +10 with SNR over 37, and upstream hanging mostly in 42-48 territory (these values will shift throughout the day from changes in temperature, humidity, noise, etc.).

It looks like signal may be getting boosted a bit more than they like to keep things (which can make ingress issues worse), so they may want maintenance to make some adjustments.

Watch the upstream values to see if they are going through big fluctuations when things are resetting. If you see them ramping up around 51 just before a reset, there is something on the lines causing problems that needs to be isolated (modem may increase upstream power to try to clear interference to the headend, and will reset after it crosses the 51 mark, possibly even 48 if the system assigned the phi value lower... a range of more than 6 points from highest to lowest is cause for concern, 12 is a hard no-go scenario).

Some other things to consider are basically tied to the age of the tech in that modem... may want to consider an upgrade, be that one you buy yourself or get one from Spectrum.

8X4 channels--with Spectrum's push to a base tier of 200 down, 16 channel modems are becoming the norm now.

N450 wireless--may be wrangling with more wifi interference issues than you expect. Especially for devices competing with the crowding on the 2.4g bands (not to mention a microwave can wreak havoc across that band).

It is a combo unit... which tend to be more prone to oddball issues that either don't tend to crop up with separate devices, or have "simple" fixes when these elements are handled as a separate modem and router setup.

Might be worth considering investing in a good standalone router that would likely provide much more reliable wifi support. Asus and the Netgear Nighthawk routers with the AC and/or AX class wifi standards are highly regarded for residential setups (they may also refer to them as wifi 5 and wifi 6 for those standards, respectively). Most routers have very straightforward setup guidance these days... mostly preset for "normal" use cases (basically just set your own network ID and passwords), so setting one up isn't as overwhelming as they once were.

If you have converted to a Spectrum plan, providing your own router means no rental/maintenance fees. They only charge for wifi maintenance on their plans when they manage the wifi on their provided device, and will provide you a free modem (as well as free modem upgrades/replacements when necessary).